At what point do you guys typically replace your windshield?

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Managed to get a nice ding in the glass the other day about the size of a dime. It had some slight cracks next to it (not major) so I immediately went to Safelite to get it repaired. I'm told by the tech a replacement isn't necessary and getting it taken care of quickly is key. There's still 2 chips there (just enough to be annoying) but it looks 80% better now that the crater is filled and disappeared.

Would you guys replace simply for aesthetics or am I nuts? New windshield on a 99 GTS is only $425 installed. Repair was $122 and they'll put it towards the new glass if I'm not happy. My only reservation is I've had windows replaced on other vehicles in the past and they always resulted in some sort of other issue (sealing issue, rattle etc).

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've replaced windshields on a few cars, and am always amazed at how much better a fresh window works. You kind of get used to looking through all the thousands of tiny pits from sand, dirt, etc.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
been waiting a month for a windshield already, just got here yesterday, expect up to six weeks to get one in, idiot dealer kept sayin my gts was a convertible, gonna repaint the roof at the same time for the seal rubbing and fill in the dimple at the top of the windshield that was missed from the factory and always leaks

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you guys replace simply for aesthetics or am I nuts?

I don't think you're nuts at all. The clean glass is a breath of fresh air after you've been looking thru a dinged up one for so long. I'm thinking about doing mine sometime in the near future. I even have etched water spots in mine.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not sure about where you live, but in Florida your insurance company is required to replace your cracked winshield (but only 1 time per year) without raising your rates, and without costing you anything. So, in Florida and any other state with similar laws, not only would it not cost you any money for a brand new windshield, but you would also be saving whatever amount of money the windshield filling cost you.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing like a new windshield, makes it seem like a new car when the sun is low in the sky! I've mentioned this before but since its a new thread on windshields it might help readers of this one to know that you're better off going to Safelite over Chrysler because (1) they're cheaper and (2) they're not broken. Chrysler has moved their windshield inventory around a bit over the 10+ years the glass has been sitting on the rack in Detroit and many of them are broken in the box. I have had two or three in succession arrive broken until I found that Safelite carries them. Just offering the thought.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought windshields for this car were nearly impossible to find now?

My other car has tons of pitting; hit it at the right angle of sun and it's awful.

Also the rule for Florida is partially due to the fact that there's no inspection. Without inspection, nobody would ever replace them.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the windshield on my '98 GTS about six years and it was about $800.00 THEN, can't imagine now.
Safelite did a pretty good job on the replacement and it was like getting a new car it was so nice.
Most insurers basically throw in the glass coverage as a free-be on the policy.

Look at the bright side, my recently replaced Gallardo windshield will be 7-8K installed as it had to be shipped over from Italy.
Seeng as that is 4-1/2 times what my annual premium is Grundy wasn't too thriled. ;)

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
That's funny you should ask I just replaced the windshield in my 94 yesterday after a rock hit it canyon racing last weekend. The difference is amazing! I'm so glad I had it done. Mine took two days to get and total for the new one installed was 330$. I didn't go to Safelite I went down to the corner gas station those guys did a perfect job and were so proud of the fact they got to work on a Viper. The drive home so nice at sunset I could see so much better than before.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go with an aftermarket windshield, you'll want to inspect the replacement windshield very carefully (especially from side angles...that's where poorly formed glass really shows itself) BEFORE they remove your existing windshield. I've seen some cars with windshields that had optical distortions when looking through them, and that would be pretty rough to live with.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u should replace the windshield after the following, 200 mph bird strike or moose or any time a granny with a walker goes through it,although moose are tall enuf ur at the right height to just clip of its legs, but all bambi and Bullwinkle hits be no good. if its a rock I pay insurance 200 if I hit a animal it is 300

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21