Autocross with Boone Valley Corvette Club Oct 4-5

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. We have the details on the anticipated autocross event with the Boone Trail Corvette Club Oct 4th - 5th at the GM plant in Wentzville. I was initially going to promote this to our club for the Sunday only, but their club was gracious enough to invite us both days and you're more than welcome to run either of the days or both.

Chuck from the Corvette club has arranged for us to be charged the same price as a Corvette owner who registers the day of the event. That is $10.00 per event. An event consists of 2 runs on the course that they will have set up. On Saturday, we should have 5 events, (at a total cost of $50.00) and Sunday -- 4 events at a total cost of $40.00. Now, the Gateway Viper Club will cover 1/2 of this cost so you can run all day Sat for $25 and Sunday $20.

Please let me know if you're interested and which day(s) you plan to attend. This is a great opportunity to participate in an autocross with a great group of car enthusiasts. I highly encourage your participation, even if you've never done autocross before. There is no experience necessary. Mary and I will work out the details to get you your 50% refund from our club after participation in the event.

Michael

Hope to see you there!

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be there Sunday as well.

Just sent this out last night and already have 6 confirmed. I hope to get 12-15!

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael - If your going on Sunday then i'll go on Sunday as well. Count me in confirmed! I'm excited, never done one of these so I don't really know what to expect. I can't wait!! :drive:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, don't forget to wear your "God made Vipers so vette guys would have idols" t-shirts.:pbt:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will go on Sunday. I would like to bring the wife's Corvette too.

Do we pay at the gate or in advance? What time should we be there?

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim- Did you get the email I sent to your home address with the attachment? If not I'll send it again. I had to redo our clubs email system since the listserv is gone.

Here are the details:

Registration and Tech Open: 8 - 9:30am SAT and 8:30 - 9 on SUN

Drivers meeting: 9:45am SAT and 9:15am SUN

First car off: 10am SAT and 9:30am SUN

Directions from the east: I-70 West to Exit 212, North on Hwy A - about 1 mile on left to main plant enterance

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the flyer but couldn't get the attachment to open on my work computer.

I have it now. Thanks!

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick Questions,
1.) do I pay when I get there or do I need to send someone money now?
2.) Do i need to bring a helmet? Doe sit have to be snell approved? Any flame retardant jacket needed?

3.) Also any tips for a noob as I have never done any of this autocross before. My background is all drag racing, no road courses or anything like that yet. I just want to make sure I don't look like a tool in front of the Vette guys because I don't know something. So any tips are appreciated. See you all on Sunday!

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, we'll pay when we get there. Also, you need to wear pants (no shorts) and no open toe shoes, so leave your flip flops at home. Finally, you will need a helmet, but they are laxed on the Snell rating. I will have my helmet there if you need to borrow mine.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick Questions,
1.) do I pay when I get there or do I need to send someone money now?
2.) Do i need to bring a helmet? Doe sit have to be snell approved? Any flame retardant jacket needed?

3.) Also any tips for a noob as I have never done any of this autocross before. My background is all drag racing, no road courses or anything like that yet. I just want to make sure I don't look like a tool in front of the Vette guys because I don't know something. So any tips are appreciated. See you all on Sunday!

Hey Juc'd
Haven't seen you for a while. Glad you are going.

I think most of us are somewhat new to "organized" autoX. (We all do it in empty parking lots...hehe). My thoughts are, everybody's got to go a first time. We did an autocross track at VOI. It was a lot of fun. We will all "kick ass". After all, WE ARE VIPERS.:firedev:

On a side note... did you notice there was a sentence stating that "open headers are accepted".. That to me means all out "track cars". If you think about it, you can't hardly drive there and take your exhaust system off... Nor would you remove an entire exhaust system for an afternoon of autoX. "Open header" cars never had exhaust systems to unbolt. They are race cars. That is why the vette club invited us. They have track cars coming in from all over the MidWest area. (Look at the sponsors). Probably will be some badass vettes. Then they can post on the Vette forums how the Vettes kicked our ass...

Like "Red Snake" says, "I'm not "skeered". After all is said and done, they are still vette drivers.

I think they squat to ***...;)

No offense "RED Snake". I know your wife has a vette.

I think my last statement pretty well sums it up.

Last edited:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going on Sunday. Anybody want to meet somewhere for the drive out to Wentzville?

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Luck guys, I wish I could join you. Just a couple of tips for any first timers:

Brake in a straight line. If you brake hard and turn you'll spin (not that there's anything wrong with that) ;)
Tire pressures: I like to start with my PS2's cold at 29 or 30 all the way around;
Half a tank of gas should be plenty - any extra just weighs you down.

Have fun
Terry

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Juc'd
Haven't seen you for a while. Glad you are going.

I think most of us are somewhat new to "organized" autoX. (We all do it in empty parking lots...hehe). My thoughts are, everybody's got to go a first time. We did an autocross track at VOI. It was a lot of fun. We will all "kick ass". After all, WE ARE VIPERS.:firedev:

On a side note... did you notice there was a sentence stating that "open headers are accepted".. That to me means all out "track cars". If you think about it, you can't hardly drive there and take your exhaust system off... Nor would you remove an entire exhaust system for an afternoon of autoX. "Open header" cars never had exhaust systems to unbolt. They are race cars. That is why the vette club invited us. They have track cars coming in from all over the MidWest area. (Look at the sponsors). Probably will be some badass vettes. Then they can post on the Vette forums how the Vettes kicked our ass...

Like "Red Snake" says, "I'm not "skeered". After all is said and done, they are still vette drivers.

I think they squat to ***...;)

No offense "RED Snake". I know your wife has a vette.

I think my last statement pretty well sums it up.

Haha. I always tell her the Vette is a good car for her. After all it IS a girls car.:eater:

Arch Viper

VCA Member
Reaction score
Mike, I will hook up with you to run up there if you promise not to be late........:)

What time and where??? What about West Co Mall under the Dove at 7:15?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Luck guys, I wish I could join you. Just a couple of tips for any first timers:

Brake in a straight line. If you brake hard and turn you'll spin (not that there's anything wrong with that) ;)
Tire pressures: I like to start with my PS2's cold at 29 or 30 all the way around;
Half a tank of gas should be plenty - any extra just weighs you down.

Have fun
Terry

Damn, one of our experienced "track guys" is out.... Anybody know if Steve W or Ray M. are going?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I will hook up with you to run up there if you promise not to be late........:)

"promise not to be late........:).". I prefer to think of it as "temporarily out of place".

:dj:

Arch Viper

VCA Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for experience, Dan G will be there. I talked to him last night. He is a certified driving instructor and 'plays' with the 'vette guys all the time.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are looking for experience, Dan G will be there. I talked to him last night. He is a certified driving instructor and 'plays' with the 'vette guys all the time.

Dan and I were discussing "strategy" in Springfield last weekend... Dan told me that he is one of the instructors at the PDX event on the 19th at Gateway. Hopefully Ii can draw him to drive with me...

Dan is the person that told me the meaning behind "open headers accepted"

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for answering my questions and givng me some tips. I'm sure i'll do well, maybe i'll find a parking lot before the autox and play around a bit. I'm looking forward to coming, it should be a lot of fun.

ANYONE driving over from Illinois? If so i'm open to meet up and cruise opver with you, I know we have a few guys that live in Columbia/Millstadt/Belleville so let me know.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I need to find out if my co-pilot is riding with me or coming out a little later...

Arch Viper

VCA Member
Reaction score
Is anyone interested in caravaning from W Co Mall in the morning? Need to know one way or the other 'cause if not, it is out of my way to go there first.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be there.

One last idea that some of you may want to do. I tape up my front/rear wheel arches (partially) with tape. Especailly the rear since you will be picking up all kind of stuff from the tarmac. I put painter tape down first then duct tape.

Also if you have a air tank bring it. I recall having to run higher pressures than 30, especially the fronts. I am bringing mine. Actually I am leaving the house with 32/32.