Baseline '01 GTS - I'm running rich?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smooth tubes, K&N's, Belanger cat-back, 93 octane pump gas, 28K miles.

Tuner said he thought this was a little rich.

Comments?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great power for a stock car. I don't consider K&N's and smooth tubes a mod and with just a Cat-back your doing great.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Dave,

THis looks great for your current set-up, enjoy the power with the simplicity.
You will do no better without an engine control unit and widebands.

As to the

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those numbers are really good for your mods (10hp more than I expect). Are those corrected numbers?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is rich for a N/A car. Typically it should run at about 13-14 on the AFR. You can def. get more power with a little tuning. Do youhave a Vec 2 on the car?

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those numbers are really good for your mods (10hp more than I expect). Are those corrected numbers?

It is rich for a N/A car. Typically it should run at about 13-14 on the AFR. You can def. get more power with a little tuning. Do youhave a Vec 2 on the car?

Crom... Corrected, meaning driveline loss added? No. Flywheel would be 500 hp if you added the 15% T56 loss back in.

99 R/T... Stock PCM.

Started my side exhaust conversion last night so we're going to see what it does before any further moves. This conversion being Belanger headers, Parts Rack R/T HF cats, and Belanger bullet mufflers. I'll re-dyno after the 500 mile grace period on the PCM re-learning and Jet Hot coating curing, and take it from there.

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm not the expert.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, interestingly my AFR looked like yours after I installed the Belanger headers. Though Lou says the headers have nothing to do with affecting the AFR. If you're thinking about a Vec, I could loan you my Vec3 if you wanted to give it a test drive. I'm leaning towards an SCT unit at this point because I need some closed-loop tuning. PM me if interested.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Dan...I was working up Dave so I can pawn my Vec3 and get an SCT from you. :D

LOL! *insert foot in mouth*

Honestly though, whichever of you may go the Blower/Turbo route in the future should keep the VEC3, and ADD an SCT. When used in combination they work GREAT for those types of applications.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crom... Corrected, meaning driveline loss added? No. Flywheel would be 500 hp if you added the 15% T56 loss back in.

99 R/T... Stock PCM.

Started my side exhaust conversion last night so we're going to see what it does before any further moves. This conversion being Belanger headers, Parts Rack R/T HF cats, and Belanger bullet mufflers. I'll re-dyno after the 500 mile grace period on the PCM re-learning and Jet Hot coating curing, and take it from there.

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm not the expert.

Actually, it would be 513 CHP, which is pretty amazing if they're corrected numbers. By corrected, CROM means are those numbers adjusted to SAE standard pressure/temp/humidity, or are they raw numbers. It can make a big difference.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What Kelly said. My numbers with K&Ns and Smooth Tubes were right around what you got before SAE correction, which ended up being 410whp. I cant see an exhaust adding that much hp (25whp). I thought 10 or so is the rule of thumb? Either way strong numbers! I cant wait to dyno my car with all the new stuff I've done.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Kelly said. My numbers with K&Ns and Smooth Tubes were right around what you got before SAE correction, which ended up being 410whp. I cant see an exhaust adding that much hp (25whp). I thought 10 or so is the rule of thumb? Either way strong numbers! I cant wait to dyno my car with all the new stuff I've done.

My car with Corsa exhaust and HF cats dyno'd 412 corrected. I'll be interested to see your numbers.