"BATTERY JUMPING POST" Under The Hood

outtahand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can the POSITIVE "BATTERY JUMPING POST" under the hood be used for the Battery Tender during Winter Storage. I assume that if it is grounded well that would be fine. I was wondering since Iam a new Viper Owner if I should go Directly to the Battery Behind the Tire or user the POST. Suggestions???

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Short answer is yes. There is no problem using that terminal for the battery tender.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can the POSITIVE "BATTERY JUMPING POST" under the hood be used for the Battery Tender during Winter Storage. I assume that if it is grounded well that would be fine. I was wondering since Iam a new Viper Owner if I should go Directly to the Battery Behind the Tire or user the POST. Suggestions???

YES. There is a threaded black stud coming op from the sill, just below the Battery post.
The blackness is an electro-static coating that makes a BAD ground, unless you "bite" the charging clamp onto it very well. I have 2-3 tenders working, connected at these points all winter long. BE SURE TO GET A TRUE "BATTERY TENDER PLUS" or fully-automatic equivalent. Fully Automatic is vitally important. ($50 at PartsRack) The LED lites constantly tell you if its charging, and when its on/off/charged.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under $20 at Wal Mart. Have had 4 going all winter for several years. All cars, except '93, have original batteries.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$8 at harbor freight.have about 15 running 24/7 since 10 years with only 1 faillure (didn't do any damage to battery or vehicle).

Luc 00GTS
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]AUTOMATIC BATTERY FLOAT CHARGER[/FONT]
You must be registered for see images

[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Skip the aggravation of a jump-start by keeping your vehicle's battery fully charged. Use on 12V batteries while in storage or during cold weather. The floating circuit maintains a full charge without overcharging. Includes automatic safety shut off.[/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Leads: 10 ft. overall length
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
ITEM 42292-1VGA

$14.99 $7.49
Email link to a friend

[/FONT]

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES. There is a threaded black stud coming op from the sill, just below the Battery post.
The blackness is an electro-static coating that makes a BAD ground, unless you "bite" the charging clamp onto it very well. I have 2-3 tenders working, connected at these points all winter long. BE SURE TO GET A TRUE "BATTERY TENDER PLUS" or fully-automatic equivalent. Fully Automatic is vitally important. ($50 at PartsRack) The LED lites constantly tell you if its charging, and when its on/off/charged.

Jon B is a site sponsor. WalMart and Harbor Freight are not.

:eater:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and $50 is not the same than $8 or $20.
Let see, $50 X 15 = $750
$8 X 15 = $120

"Jon B is a site sponsor. WalMart and Harbor Freight are not."

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that you're loosing site of what this forum is all about, helping other viper owners not thanking sponsors ( and I do wish Jon B the best).
A new viper owner ask a question, got a few replies, including one from JonB, that used this opportunity to plug one of his product( a battery charger), and a couple of other viper owners (me included) pointed out that,if you so desire,other sources exist for cheaper,reliable charger.
No one said not to buy from JonB and I believe that viper owners are smart enough to make their own decision..
"Wonderful. Just a wonderful way to thank the sponsors for the site."

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a word of warning. On my rare? 97, it does not like a battery tender hooked to this location. When ever I hook up here within a day my alarm goes goofy. The light on the dash would come on and stay on, and my doors would lock. Found this out by hooking to the post on the starter and ever since then my alarm has been fine. Going on 4 months now and alarm has been perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21