Battery voltage/gauge

Reloader15

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 06 is out on the road again, but, I have this strange problem, that has happened twice. I hear a chime, a red light in the battery voltage gauge lites up. My needle goes from 14 volts to 16 volts like ping pong. Back and forth for 10 minutes. Then back to normal??? Belt is great... any ideas? Thanks

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The standard default answer is: "The battery".

While I personally would start with a full test of the battery (including load test), the alternator would be next...as well as connections on both of the above items.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a regulater sticking in the alternater/ overcharge= is your battery turning over the car normal, meaning not sluggish?

OP
OP
R

Reloader15

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's what I found out, the Sears Diehard I put in last month was 3/8" taller than the original Mopar I took out, When I tightened the battery cover down, I didn't realize I was putting "down" force on the terminals. The positive terminal was doing something weird inside the battery. Sears gave me another battery, and I made a gasket so the cover just clears the terminal tops. I was going to buy an alternator if it tested bad. Thanks....

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gold 34, 2006 coupe, I'm 56

:D My comment was directed to bluesrt, in reference to his seemingly old mechanic's term refering to a mechanical voltage regulator failure symptom. Or maybe I'm just the old one thinking of his comment that way !

Glad you solved your problem !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude