"Bedding" multi track pads

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have four new sets of track pads for the coming season. (PFC 7781 with Brembo "X" rotors). These pads need to be bed'd in.

It's really no fun bedding pads and that's why I was wondering if I could do several sets in a row?
In other words, bed a set of pads, change them. Bed another set of pads, change them etc...
(There would be a cool down between outings)

Would this cause a negative buildup of "break-in" pad material? Would the 120mph to 30 mph braking burn the residue off?

Thanks

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Summarizing what I remember from the StopTech bedding procedure:
80-10mph as hard as possible (do not allow to lock or come to complete stop)
repeat this 10 times
Drive on highway (or track) without using brakes for 5-10 minutes (if possible) to allow to cool.
Repeat whole process 3 times (heat & cool).

Aparently even with the pads being the same type/material they will all be slightly different. Also the rotor surface changes and this mates the pad surface to the rotor. The pad material bedded into the rotor will be removed by bedding the new set of pads.

I think if you did them in a row like that you would essentially bed, a set then unbed the first set and bed the 2nd set & so on. Also the rotor shape will change as it wears which will require the surface of each set of pads to adjust to the new surface (done during bedding).

The folks at StopTech have great tech support, might call them. My logic tells me you would be simply putting a ton of wear on your new pads and rotors undoing the "bedding" of the previous pad with the next.

I do agree that bedding pads is a PITA & not easy to do on the street.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told you bed the rotors once and as long as you keep using the same pad material, no need to scuff the rotors and do it again. The new pads will conform to the surface of the rotor quickly especially if you're hammering on them on the track.

FYI on the bedding procedure from the ACR-X Service Supplement:

"3-4 stops with light to medium brake pressure from approx 90 mph to 65 mph.
Distance between each brake stop approx 300 to 400 yards.
The pads should not reach temperatures above 550 to 750F during bedding in.
One stop with medium to heavy brake pressure, without allowing brakes to lock from approx 110 mph to 65 mph.
Recovery stops with light brake pressure 2-3 times.
Repeat the higher speed stops, including recovery stops, 1-2 times.
Allow a cooling off distance of approx 500 yards between high speed stops."

Sounds rather complicated. I like the Stoptech procedure.

Last edited:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I did notice with the new StopTech rotors and pads was the first few stops were very interesting (during bedding process), on the first 4 or 5 stops in the very first set of 10, a different wheel locked each time at different brake pressure applications (1st stop was left front, 2nd was right rear, etc). After the 3-4stops into the second set all future stops were consistent and resembled the previous.

Bedding the StopTech ACR rotors with new race pads after track sessions on stock pads - stops became consistent after the 7-8 stop in first set. Noticed different color of rotors after bedding with new pads.

That ACRx bedding process requires some explaining :D

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm discussing 2 different vehicles both with StopTech 2-piece ACR rotors. 1 with ACR Brembo calipers and the other with StopTech calipers. Stock Brembo pads are junk as you probably already know.

Can't figure out how to edit previous post on iPhone app.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you guys tried ordering pads "pre bed"? I know it's an options on the Carbotechs. I'm about to order another set and am gonna choose the pre bed option and see what the instructions say about them. Not sure if others offer it.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another tidbit that might be useful. It is recommended to use old pads to bed in new rotors. Same pad material of course.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Mintex front / Brakeman #3 rear. The Mintex come bedded new in the box. Really cool because if you need to swap pads between sessions in the pits, you can do just that....and go! Works great and my brakes are always very consistent. (hard to keep my eyeballs in my head!)

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, they SQUEAL UGLY on the street, but what's funny is....... I totaly don't even care! The way they work at the track is so killer, it just doesn't matter. I too have a wicked exhaust to help it be less noticable though. Man, I love this car!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too use brakeman pads that are prebedded and they work very well. I would not use anything else especially if they were not prebedded. Just my two cents from a racers point of view.

USGT NAtional Champion GT-2 class (3 out of last 4 years.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss