Been out of the loop a while, what's the best street tire for an 04?

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Went to get my Viper inspected today and turns out I need tires. Just what I want to spend money on before the holidays! A couple years when I looked it was looking like PS2s were the way to go. Now I am seeing Michelin Super Sports and Pilot Sport ZPs. Those seem new to me.

Thoughts on these?

I don't drive my Viper a lot, but it would be nice not to spin through first and second like I do with the run flats.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I am seeing Michelin Super Sports and Pilot Sport ZPs. Those seem new to me.

Thoughts on these?
I don't drive my Viper a lot, but it would be nice not to spin through first and second like I do with the run flats.

I think that you will find that most folks would advise against the ZP run flats for the reason that you mentioned.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super Sports are the 'latest/greatest thing'. .....but for the street, you can't beat the Nitto Invo. Low price, quiet, long lasting, excellent straight line hook up, cool looking tread design, .......not very good at the track though. ....... Don't ask how I know. :crazy2:

Reaction score
Both the Nitto Invo and Super Sports are priced right at viperpartsofamerica.com. You won't go wrong with either one, just be sure to carry some fix-a-flat when you lay those runflats to rest...

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Super Sports are the 'latest/greatest thing'. .....but for the street, you can't beat the Nitto Invo. Low price, quiet, long lasting, excellent straight line hook up, cool looking tread design, .......not very good at the track though. ....... Don't ask how I know. :crazy2:

Those do look pretty reasonable. Why would I pick the Nitto over the PS2 for $20 more?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
........If you found PS2's for anywhere near the Nitto price, the PS2 is the way to go hands down. They are usually way more money. The Michelin stuff is absolutely killer, just that they also have a price that matches the product. The Nitto Invo is the 'next best thing' for the money.

Hotrodder00

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Hoosier A6's on the street. Not because I didn't know it was a track tire, but because that's how the dealer sold it to me (yes, I bought it sight unseen and had it delivered). But oh well, they hook incredibly well, and no one has ever said a thing!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Hoosier A6's on the street. Not because I didn't know it was a track tire, but because that's how the dealer sold it to me (yes, I bought it sight unseen and had it delivered). But oh well, they hook incredibly well, and no one has ever said a thing!
Be careful with those. They are not very durable for 100% street use only. They are very light construction, not as strong as a street tire. Guys that run those to and from the track are careful on the commute. -plus, think about whats happening to the paint! The A6 is the #1 sand blaster.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super sports are the top of the line, if you can find them just a few bucks more than Invos that is a no brainer decision. I run the Super Sports and they are the best all around for a street driver. Leave the spinning tires to the Mustang/Camaro kids, you want traction and you are trying to get the car to hook up and handle like it was designed to. Run flats are the worse tires you can have on a Viper.

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Super Sports are 1495 at VPOA, if they are that good, seems hard to beat!

Hotrodder00

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huh, thanks for the advice! They've only been on the car 300 miles according to the dealer, and they are coming off when I get my new rims in....will just save them in case I do ever make it to the track! I didn't know they were the "sand blasters!" I'm definitely going Nitto Invos on the new rims!

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toyo R888 are more streetable than hoosiers and will outperform the much more expensive PS2's while they last. Don't expect to get more than a few thousand miles out of them however.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huh, thanks for the advice! They've only been on the car 300 miles according to the dealer, and they are coming off when I get my new rims in....will just save them in case I do ever make it to the track! I didn't know they were the "sand blasters!" I'm definitely going Nitto Invos on the new rims!
You'll have to use the A6's within the next season or so, as they have a short shelf life once they've been mounted and ran. They will start to their soft sticky magic and be worse than a good street tire. .....You will love the Nitto Invo's for the street.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets