Belanger header question

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Belanger headers have the O2 sensor mounted in the single primary tube. I believe this is to eliminate the check engine light problem. I've read that the check engine light problem was for 00-02 years. So my question is can you run these headers on a 97 with the O2 location moved to the collector and not get the check engine light?

Last edited:

Will at RSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, They should be fine in any year model. Please let us know if we can help you with an order for a set.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may need to get rear sims as mine would throw a code from time to time. Rears don't do anything but validate the fronts but it was still a pita

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This isn't really an answer to your question, but it is another data point for you. On my 2000 GTS, I moved the front O2 sensor to the exhaust turnout downstream of the belanger collectors. I also use the Quickfire O2 sensors (i think that's what they are called). I've driven it for 2k-3k miles and it has never thrown a code. So if you move the O2 sensor and get a code, there is still another option to eliminate codes being thrown.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger headers have the O2 sensor mounted in the single primary tube. I believe this is to eliminate the check engine light problem. I've read that the check engine light problem was for 00-02 years. So my question is can you run these headers on a 97 with the O2 location moved to the collector and not get the check engine light?

I believe this was simply to allow the stock sensor to fit without a harness extention needed, and to address 02 heater CEL that gets set when the sensor is located in the collector (takes longer to get to temp than it does in the single tube which is closer to the exhaust port)...ergo the Quickfire sensors that heat quickly...

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The best place for the 02 sensor is at the turn out, where all 5 cylinders come together. The sensor was relocated from the turn out, to one tube in the Belanger headers in 2000. People were getting check engine lights for "O2 sensor heater" when the O2 sensor was placed in the turn out. The reason was, Dodge changed the computer calibration and way it looked at how fast the O2 sensor warmed up. The quicker the sensor warmed up, the sooner it could control the emissions. Being that the sensor was now mounted down in the collector with headers, about 20 inches further downstream that the stock sensor location, it warmed up slower and set the check engine light. Changing the sensor location to one tube was just a band aid fix, but caused other issues. The car would run fine but fuel control was off, just reading one cylinder. Vehicles would fail smog and cars with bigger cams had terrible "closed loop fuel control" with surging and jerking.

We developed a sensor that would warm up faster "quick fire 02" that would solve the check engine light problem and allow you to relocate the sensor back to the turnout, we also were able to calibrate the engine controller for a not so sensitive O2 heater monitor for off road use cars if needed.

Your 1997 will be fine with the 02 in the turnout as the heater monitor is not very sensitive.

Hope this helps,

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best place for the 02 sensor is at the turn out, where all 5 cylinders come together. The sensor was relocated from the turn out, to one tube in the Belanger headers in 2000. People were getting check engine lights for "O2 sensor heater" when the O2 sensor was placed in the turn out. The reason was, Dodge changed the computer calibration and way it looked at how fast the O2 sensor warmed up. The quicker the sensor warmed up, the sooner it could control the emissions. Being that the sensor was now mounted down in the collector with headers, about 20 inches further downstream that the stock sensor location, it warmed up slower and set the check engine light. Changing the sensor location to one tube was just a band aid fix, but caused other issues. The car would run fine but fuel control was off, just reading one cylinder. Vehicles would fail smog and cars with bigger cams had terrible "closed loop fuel control" with surging and jerking.

We developed a sensor that would warm up faster "quick fire 02" that would solve the check engine light problem and allow you to relocate the sensor back to the turnout, we also were able to calibrate the engine controller for a not so sensitive O2 heater monitor for off road use cars if needed.

Your 1997 will be fine with the 02 in the turnout as the heater monitor is not very sensitive.

Hope this helps,
Dan,
You did a tune on my Gen.1 a couple of years ago. I am running Belanger headers with the O2 sensors in one tube per side. You said that it would run better if I moved the O2 sensors to the turnouts. The engine runs great. My question is would I gain anything by moving them to the turnouts?

OP
OP
O

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the detailed response, those are the details I was looking for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456