best affordable track tire

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for an AFFORDABLE set of track tires. Who's going to lobby for best tire? Are Kuhmos any good?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoosier
Hoosier
Hoosier

If Michelin ever decides to build a Viper size slick I'll give them a try but until then it's Hoosier, Hoosier, Hoosier.

Kumhos were sticky but they didn't last as long as Hoosier.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I replied to your thread on Viper Alley, but Hoosier VRL scrubs are cheap and plentiful.

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking for an AFFORDABLE set of track tires. Who's going to lobby for best tire? Are Kuhmos any good?

Toyo Proxes RA1. Great tire, excellent life, and good in the rain. Not as sticky at the hoosier, but will last much longer then the hoosier. Much cheaper too. Can be driven on the street to and from events also. I actually use them as my streeet tires.

Good Luck

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toyo gives better feedback before letting go

Hoosiers let go without feedback

now if i could get my hands on some R888's :(

Reaction score
You want feedback and tire life I think the KUMHOS are the only way to go. I have autocrossed and tracked on all of these tires over the past 20 plus years and I choose KUMHOS because they are the fastest. I have take offs for autocrossing that I have used at track days and gotten 3-4 full days out of them. I cannot say that about an H tire. The toyos are great as far as durability but are short on ultimate grip to the other two companys tires.

Mark Jorgensen
Woodhouse Viper
KUMHO contract driver

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want feedback and tire life I think the KUMHOS are the only way to go. I have autocrossed and tracked on all of these tires over the past 20 plus years and I choose KUMHOS because they are the fastest. I have take offs for autocrossing that I have used at track days and gotten 3-4 full days out of them. I cannot say that about an H tire. The toyos are great as far as durability but are short on ultimate grip to the other two companys tires.

Mark Jorgensen
Woodhouse Viper
KUMHO contract driver

Which Kumhos? What sizes?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I second Mark's opinion.

The Kumho Ecsta V-700's in 305 front, 335 rears. Both 18's. Very durable, very sticky, very progressive and reasonably priced.

I run them on SSR's or Forgelines.

H tires don't last nearly as long and don't give the feedback.

I'll likely try the Toyos this year, but am having a tough time wearing out my Kumhos!

Dan