Best BBQ in Area

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Houston members,

For us stupid Yankees, I am going to ask one of the first questons that people ask when they come to your area. I have no shame.

What is the best BBQ and where do I find it?

Coming down from NJ, I stopped off in Nashville at the famous Neely's BBQ. Frankly it was over rated.

I then tried to stop off at the Mean Pig BBQ outside of Little Rock that supposedly is great. It was closed. Ugh.

I had also heard that the Lufkin Texas BBQ is great. Stopped there. It was very very good. Much better than Neely's.

What are your collective BBQ suggestions on BBQ? I have heard that this is great.
Official Site of Louie Mueller Barbecue  |  An Authentic Texas Tradition Since 1949

Vip1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The best BB-Q in Texas is Saltlick in Driftwood outside of Austin, well worth the trip. Demeris Barbecue on 9552 Hempstead, Pappas BB-Q downtown. Good luck Happy eating.

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saltlick is really good. Only been there once though. Can't go wrong with Pappas and it is in Houston too. If you love BBQ you just missed out because the Rodeo is the place to go to try all of the BBQ joints.

I always go to Brisket BBQ in Bellare, TX. It is close by but I wouldn't call it the best in town. They do have a Western Po-boy specialty that I love though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys ever have a Viper Club gathering at a BBQ joint?

The Virginia guys have a huge meeting once a year at the Fisherman's Inn Crab Deck in Maryland (near the center of the Bay). It is super successful. Over 50 cars.

With all of the Vipers in the Houston area, it could easily surpass that event.

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like fun to me.

I am new to the club. Anyone know how many people are in the Houston area club?

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patent Law

Since your moving into Texas please understand most of us think our own BBQ is best, but if your looking to eat out I really like Goode Co BBQ. We have a club BBQ coming up at the Dads club (Voss and I10) I belive in August. Will pull up the smoker in the AM and get to work. The board thought it would be fun to have more of a family event and the big pools and shaded areas should provide a proper venue for us. Hope you can make it. You can come and watch Jamie and I argue over BBQ receipts and smoking temps!

Richard

JacksViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PatentLaw-If you ever go through Alabama, I think the best place to go for ribs is, "Dreamland BBQ". The original place is located about two miles from the intersection of Hwy 82 and Interstate 59 just south of Tuscaloosa in an area known as Jerusalem Heights. I went there once and loved it. But now, when I'm in state, I go to the one at, Northport. There are other locations throughout Alabama and Georgia. I'm not familiar with Texas BBQ's, but when and if, you head back to Jersey and if you travel through Alabama, Dreamland BBQ is a worthwhile stop.

jack

OP
OP
P

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patent Law

Since your moving into Texas please understand most of us think our own BBQ is best, but if your looking to eat out I really like Goode Co BBQ. We have a club BBQ coming up at the Dads club (Voss and I10) I belive in August. Will pull up the smoker in the AM and get to work. The board thought it would be fun to have more of a family event and the big pools and shaded areas should provide a proper venue for us. Hope you can make it. You can come and watch Jamie and I argue over BBQ receipts and smoking temps!

Richard

Very cool. I would love to try some professional stuff. Great idea. Many thanks (and fat calories).

Plaw

OP
OP
P

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PatentLaw-If you ever go through Alabama, I think the best place to go for ribs is, "Dreamland BBQ". The original place is located about two miles from the intersection of Hwy 82 and Interstate 59 just south of Tuscaloosa in an area known as Jerusalem Heights. I went there once and loved it. But now, when I'm in state, I go to the one at, Northport. There are other locations throughout Alabama and Georgia. I'm not familiar with Texas BBQ's, but when and if, you head back to Jersey and if you travel through Alabama, Dreamland BBQ is a worthwhile stop.

jack

I will have to travel through that direction. That is a fantastic idea. Dreamland BBQ it is. Consider it done. Will report back when I get there. Thanks!

Plaw

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best BB-Q in Texas is Saltlick in Driftwood outside of Austin, well worth the trip. Demeris Barbecue on 9552 Hempstead, Pappas BB-Q downtown. Good luck Happy eating.

Demeris' is good BBQ. Used to eat there a couple times a month when I worked in that area.