Best Exhaust Choice ?

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by ChrisP, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Viper Owner

Need some help ... I have a 96 RT10 Convertible and want to put headers and a new exhaust system. Can I get some thoughts on what my best choice may be? Sound? Performance?

2. LiquoRT/10

LiquoRT/10 Enthusiast

3. KingSnake97

KingSnake97 Enthusiast

4. DrTaco

DrTaco Viper Owner

Check out some of the sound clips and start to narrow down the "sound" you like. Otherwise, no one can answer your question without more info. Do you want LOUD? Do you want muscle car sound or exotic sound? Is drone going to bother you? Do you have a budget? Have fun shopping around, it's the best part!

Here's my full Belanger system (w/other supporting mods and no cats):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmhOafOb8tM

5. bbirch

bbirch Viper Owner

Quite impressive with that camshaft....................:drive:

6. Brian GTS

Brian GTS Enthusiast

All subjective of course, but I went with a Corsa on my GTS due to prevent the drone. It's "okay". For the RT10, I went with B&B, and it's my favorite by far. The volume is up a bit and it has a nice deep burble sound. I have everything else stock.

7. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

Random Tech 3" with crossover pipe.

[​IMG]

8. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

Those clips posted on youtube sound weak and tinny to me. Could be my iphone, though.:dunno:

I really like my Corsa with hiflow cats. No aftermarket headers, though. Sounds much better than those youtube clips.

9. Jance GTS

Jance GTS Viper Owner

I have Belanger headers, high flow cats with Corsa. If I remove the stock resonators will that change the sound, performance, or gas mileage?

I like the no drone on the highway but I'd like a little more rumble on the streets without it being annoying.

10. Sybil TF

Sybil TF Viper Owner

I know this is a dumb girl question but what happens if you remove the cats? I have a 96 gts. Will it need to have the computer re-programmed? I ask because the passenger side sill gets very hot towards the front , has a little discoloration on the paint due to heat and it will burn you to touch it and I was told to put some better high flow cats on it(still has stock ones). Car has 28,000 miles. Driver's side does not get as hot for some reason.

11. ElevatortecGTS

ElevatortecGTS Viper Owner

I wrapped my sill pipes in header wrap.. cool now.. and cabin heats up alot less

12. jjp11

jjp11 Viper Owner

Belanger headers, Belanger high flow cats, and Belanger cat-back on mine... I'd go with no cats and make it louder if it weren't for the smell. These cars were meant to sound as mean as they drive. It makes the driving experience a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

13. ViperTony

ViperTony Enthusiast

Belanger headers and catback definitely with high flow cats. I originally went with the 2 muffler version of the Belanger catback. Great sound except for some minor drone at lower RPM's. I installed 2 additional Dynomax race bullets (per Lou's original 4 muffler version) and no drone, none, zip, nada. Makes children cry at WOT :2tu: Then, add on Greg Good heads and cam....wow! :D Pure armageddon! :smirk:

14. bjammmin

bjammmin Viper Owner

I love my Belanger headers, RT hi-flow cats, and Corsa cat-back. Low drone at cruising speeds, but really screams at WOT. Best of both worlds!

15. Jance GTS

Jance GTS Viper Owner

Advantages of not running the stock resonators? Will that change the sound, performance, or gas mileage?

16. 96GTS

96GTS Viper Owner

I have Random Tech Hi-flow cats and a 3" Borla catback. It's deep, rumbles and sounds like a 'Hemicuda. The drone isn't too bad, but I hear ear plugs on long trips so I don't go deaf. No one can tell you what sound YOU will like the best, so try to make it to a Viper gathering and find a car with the tone/sound you like and go from there.

17. Sybil TF

Sybil TF Viper Owner

Do you have any pics of your exhaust tailpipes? I was told that I have a Borla catback from the previous owner but not sure what it looks like.

Also, is your exhaust manifold stock or do you have headers?

18. DJ'sviper

DJ'sviper Viper Owner

I have Berlinger headers back with no cats. Put on headers on my 93. Sounds great. When I let off the gas it pops. Sometimes like a cherry bomb. When I go past cops I try to keep the gas on a little and that is when it is the most quiet. When I open it up it sounds great as well as idle. But then I'm a little deaf in one ear and can't hear well out of the other. It doesn't bother me on the highway but everyone is different. Had the exhaust wraped. Sills are cool now.

19. mbccenter

mbccenter Viper Owner

We stock headers for all gens. Higher quality then the rest with a great price. www.mandmperformance.net

We are viper owners who support our club :)

20. DJ'sviper

DJ'sviper Viper Owner

I got Berlinger Heads and new exhaust. no cats. 20120427_150959.jpg Its loud. My mechanic loves it and wants it on his.

21. ViperTony

ViperTony Enthusiast

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set of M&M headers from Matt in the future. His headers have thicker flanges which is a big plus in my book. :2tu: