Best Launching Technique?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex,

You will get countless methods for launching the viper at the drag strip. Here is my advise:

1. Tire Pressure-stock radials are probably going to work best at 22 psi. Check them by doing 2000 rpm launches on a clean surface(preferrably concrete)and notice the tread marks. You are looking for even black marks across the tread pattern. If your marks are darker in the middle of the tread then your pressure is too high and vice versa. Once you lower your tires to optimum tread pattern, note that pressure and use it at the track. You may have to lower pressure after the first few passes as the pressure tends to rise with temperature of the tire skin.

2. DO NOT GET WATER ON YOUR TIRES!!!!!
Water will only get slung in the fenderwells and get caught in your tread only to gravitate to the ground under your tires at the starting line while you wait to launch.

3. Use anywhere between 1500 and 2500 rpm for your launch(depending on track conditions)

4. Slip the clutch slightly allowing the car to start moving, then let it on out as you depress the accelerator(optimum here is to spin the tires just slightly while not allowing the nose of the car to drop) once you have traction clutch out-pedal to floor, shift at 5300 rpm(do not speedshift as possible wheel hop can result from the shock to the suspension which will break your half shafts)shift to 3rd then 4th(you can speed shift the 2-3 and 3-4 as you won't spin there on a decent track with stock gears). You must shift into 4th for optimum e.t.

I also own a 97 gts and have ran low 12's and high 11's bone stock by doing the above. Even now with a few modifications i use the same techniques to achieve mid 11's and high 10's on stock radial tires.

tom

"If we had some Ham, we could have some Ham and Eggs, IF we had some Eggs"

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex,
Where are you located? I am in Sacramento and got a 97 GTS in August. Am still waiting on my helmet but am planning on heading out to the track on a Saturday too. I have been to the track on a Wednesday night (to watch) but never on a Saturday. What exactly are the Test and Tune days?

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
do not speedshift as possible wheel hop can result from the shock to the suspension which will break your half shafts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

How would you define speedshifting?

Thanks,

Reaction score
OK, so now a slightly harder question -- how about launching with NOS running? Do you just keep the system off until 2nd gear, or avoid WOT in 1st, or ?

On a related note, at what point do upgraded half shafts become a necessity - street tires and speed shifting, or drag radials, or ?