Best modification for the track

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in my list of winter mods ... splitter, wing, 1.7 rockers, heads, valves, etc ... engine mods adding +80 HP and +80 TQ, and 6 point harness.

Having finally gotten it on the track, I don't think I achieved speeds where I would notice a difference with the splitter and wing. The extr tq and HP was noticeable but didn't end up making a significant difference either. The 6 point harness takes my vote for the single best track mod. For the first time I didn't feel like I was holding on and bracing myself in the car, I was able to concentrate on driving.

So, is it fair to say that a part that does not affect performance is the best performance mod you can make?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1..after a seat, put in the billet steering bushings and get a good track alignment (gained me 3 sec). Make sure you have good tires. Concentrate on handling. Put some Motons on if you have the cash. Have fun and be safe!

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
best mod for the track... more track time.

You'll never need more power, more grip, more down force until you can max out what you have. A good driver with no mods can beat any modded up car witha ok driver.

I raced bikes in 08 and 09, I was on one of the biggest **** motorcycles making 10-15% less power and 10-15% more weight than any other bike on the grid. But i was damn good on that bike and put that ***** on the podium every race.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely think that "driver mod" is the most significant one. More track time and instruction will decrease lap times faster than anything.

I could not believe the difference that the 6-points made in allowing me to drive better without having to brace myself. The seats in the Gen III are pretty good stock (not sure on earlier models), but a racing seat isn't in the picture for me right now with as much as I drive it on the street.

I don't know if you've done anything to your brakes, but I have heard the Gen I/II's really can use some help in the braking department when on the track. I gain a lot of time on people by how late I brake.

If you don't already have a catch-can, put one on there. I'm running a basically stock motor, and don't get anything in the can during street driving, but definitely start filling it up during track days. Some of that may be because I put some extra oil in the car when I'm at the track, but I hate to think of all the oil that was making it back into my intake before I put the can on. Obviously this isn't a "performance" thing, but it's a cheap way to help make your engine last longer. Oil going back into the intake does rob horsepower, but if it makes it to combustion chamber, it can significantly lower your overall octane and lead to detonation.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the harnesses, driver's training, good tires then I would look at brakes next, especially on Gen 2.
Air deflectors to keep from boiling the brake fluid are probably more important than better pads especially if you run in 90+ degree heat.

You may also want to look into an upgraded power steering cap with overflow, once you get good, it will boil and it can cause problems if it gets onto the exhaust headers.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seat time, harness, sticky tires, proper seat, brake pads, then more seat time, then power adders , in that order

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seat time, harness, sticky tires, proper seat, brake pads, then more seat time, then power adders , in that order

Totally! ...and go with a better brake fluid like Motul 660, oil-M1 15/50.

I am guessing you mean roadracing vs drag racing.

OP
OP
V

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a side question, I've been wondering as I have a Gen 1 which obviously doesn't have ABS, how does this compare to a car with ABS? Or stated another way, does the modulation of the ABS car generate higher brake fluid temps as compared to the non ABS car? Where does the heat in brake fluid come from?

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget what is one of the cheaper mods that I haven't seen here that helps with that braking and that is Stainless Steel brake lines.

Richard

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint it yellow. You forgot that part sir. That will make a huge difference!

I even put some blue on my car car to slow it down and I could feel it had more get up and go in her!

:D

JasonSSG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was wondering this myself. I will be attending a few track days myself in my 09 Gen IV, Ive been reading speed secrets book along with looking at previous track videos Ive done to critque myself

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was wondering this myself. I will be attending a few track days myself in my 09 Gen IV, Ive been reading speed secrets book along with looking at previous track videos Ive done to critque myself

Best bet is to go in with no knowledge and get a instructor to ride with you! This way you have no pre bad habits. Those will develop on there own anyways! :rolaugh:

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint it yellow. You forgot that part sir. That will make a huge difference!

I even put some blue on my car car to slow it down and I could feel it had more get up and go in her!

:D

Blue will do that to a car (more get up and go):D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a side question, I've been wondering as I have a Gen 1 which obviously doesn't have ABS, how does this compare to a car with ABS? Or stated another way, does the modulation of the ABS car generate higher brake fluid temps as compared to the non ABS car? Where does the heat in brake fluid come from?

I don't think there's an appreciable difference between ABS and non-ABS when it comes to brake temps. The miniscule amount of time that the pads are pulsed probably doesn't help them cool down much. Brake fluid temps are more a function of length of brake application than force of brake application, though both create heat, obviously. Braking harder, smoother for a shorter time usually keeps temps lower than braking gently for a longer period. For your first time out you may not even need Motul or Blue fluid but its easy to change so why not put it in there to be safe?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seat belts, tire gauge, brake fliuid and a notebook that never leaves the car. Driving school, brake pads/lines, track time; stickies, alignment, shocks, bushings, power adders.