Best place to tap onto battery voltage:

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was planning on the M10 power stud on the main fuse box but saw some articles of ways to tap using "tapping" fuse adapters.

Not keen on adding load to an existing fuse but something like cigarette lighter would be a candidate.
Are there any unused fuse or relay stations that have battery on one leg? If yes, I could get a tapping fuse adapter or gut a relay and make a "tapper."

Loads are a nitrous system, bottle heater and a small Halon fire system.
Instruments could be added.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feeling stoopid: what is "IP"?

Are you tapping under the cover where the fuses and relays are? Don't want to remove anything to tap.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instrument Panel, the dashboard.
Yup it's in the lower driver side behind that little panel cover. Can't remember exactly which circuit but I usually pick something like interior lights or something harmless.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'm going to just tap off the main power stud out in the open. Have a Blue Sea 4 circuit fuse block that fits nicely - and the corresponding ground block for the rocker panel stud. Don't want to hide wiring since a lot going on.

NEXT QUESTION: (will probably post separate thread: will removing the wires from the main power stud OR the ground stud on top of the rocker below the PCM cut power to the PCM? (In other words, if I want to save PCM memory, do I have to backfeed thru the cigarette lighter (with a diode of course)? )

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you cut power for a short time the PCM won't reset. It's no different than changing a battery. But if you cut power for a long time it will reset. I think there's some capacitors or some residual power storage in there but not sure.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you cut power for a short time the PCM won't reset. It's no different than changing a battery. But if you cut power for a long time it will reset. I think there's some capacitors or some residual power storage in there but not sure.
That makes sense, otherwise that would drive techs nuts trying to rundown a problem. Not unlike a VCR timer (LOL)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala