Best Viper Years

BigBadVR4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Viper in the next few months. What is the best year and model to get. I was looking at a 97 or 98 RT-10. Also might be looking for something that already has mods.

V

Venomiss

Find a Viper Club near you-go toward the bottom of the page and check out the regions to see who may be the closest. (You can't post if you are not a member but you can read them)

When you find the one google it and you should get the website for that region. Give them an e-mail or call and see if you can attend an event. Most clubs are eager to help.
That way you can check out the cars up close to what you like the most.

Other Viper owners can give you lot's of information you will want before purchasing.

This website also has a search button where you can look up threads about certain years/dealership/services that are recommended by owners. It's toward the top of the page. Plug in key words and go! Good luck!

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It really depends on what matters to you and what your price range is.

Gen 2's have windows
99's? have interior "upgrade"
01-02 got ABS breaks added

Gen 3's have different look, more hp, etc... and of course price goes up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper

Wikipedia has some good information just about what they added different years and specs.

Last edited:

TT ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
99's Last year for forged pistons,first year for 18" wheels,
has power outside mirrors,textured dash.and they are fairly priced.But you better like Red,Black or Silver.(on the GTS).

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
Pick which color you want then that will limit you as to which years you can choose.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they all have their positives and their negatives. decide what is important to you, go from there.

do you want power windows? ABS? coupe or convertible? price? style? specific color? etc.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Colors aside, 1999 GTS, 2006 coupe. If you prefer convertables, 1999 RT10, 2006 convertible. Why the 2006? Because DC had three prior years under its belt with the model and corrected some of the prior year issues. You will also have plenty of the initial warranty left. When you are deciding, keep in mind the issue of replacement parts - availability and/or cost. For instance, the door hinges ( at least the driver's side ) and the door insulation on the Gen II's, assuming you actually use the car, will periodically need replacement. If you get a Gen II, you also will want to check the rear exhauster vents on the sides of the trunk under the liner. The rubber panes deteriorate over time causing some fumes to enter the vehicle. These vents are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace - particularly if you remove the rear fascia. There are a number of vendors who advertise on this site that carry quality parts - new or used. Good luck. Once you get a Viper, start slowly and learn the behavior of the car before you drive assertively.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Ultimate is a Gen 2 GTS, in my opinion.

96-99 if needing forged pistons for mods - or a newer one with forged pistons added with mods you want.

Ted

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
NOTE to those with kids:

'96 - '97 does not have passenger airbag cutoff.

I believe retrofit still available but you must first fill out paperwork with DOT (very simple).

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO no real bad years. Depends on what color you want. 96 thru 99 have forged pistons if you plan on modding. 01 and 02 have ABS which is a nice addition especially if you plan on tracking the car. Some say 2000 is the odd ball since it is the only year which does not have forged pistons or ABS brakes but I have to say that the Steel Gray and Black made in 2000 are two of the nicest colors a Viper comes in so I say it depends on what is important to you and your budget. You really can't go wrong with any year.

Pick up the Dodge Viper Buyers Guide, it is loaded with useful information concerning the differences.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say go with a 99'. I did my research and found that the 99 had everything I was looking for, it is the last year of forged pistons, 18" wheels, and interior upgrades like the 00 models. So my vote goes for the 99" but as you can see i'm a bit biased!

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to give an opinion based on value, collectability, and desireability:
92 RT10
96 B/W GTS
97 B/W RT10
98 GTS/R Replica W/B
02 GTS FE
06 B/W Coupe
08 Coupe 600 HP (not sure of colors at this point)

I am sure there are others, but these would make my short list.

Last edited: