Biggest bang for your buck mod? (except for NOS)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does ANYONE have any 1/4 mile drag strip "REAL TIME RESULTS" of before / after Gear swap?

Anyone?

'01 GTS here, owned by a competant 6-sec vette dragger, did his BEST in his GTS w 355 and a Flywheel.

If you buy your gears in the PRIMARY hope of 1/4 mile times, you also have to employ an AL flywheel, to minimize the wheelspin of the 3:55. If you are an EXCELLENT DRAGGER, one who can consistently can achieve 1.6-1.7 60-ft times, you will benefit. If you are a flat-footed size 12 like many of us, who thrill at 1 .8 or 1.9. you wont gain ET becasue you cannot manage wheelspin in a critical way. But you WILL increase TRAP SPEED!

The car flat accellerates faster, but the tiny "window" at a drag strip belies how amazing it is on the street, in a 30-130mph roll-on. Once your are HOOKED....the gears kick-ASP

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, back when mine was stock, i ran a guy in a 98/99 stock RT (silver too !) except he had 3.33 gears. doing a bunch of 60 - 160 pulls, he was not faster. i dont consider myself a great driver and i know he wasnt either.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, back when mine was stock, i ran a guy in a 98/99 stock RT (silver too !) except he had 3.33 gears. doing a bunch of 60 - 160 pulls, he was not faster. i dont consider myself a great driver and i know he wasnt either.

did he jump ahead and you would catch up or were you about even the whole time?

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO...and Biggest bang for buck aint gonna be MUFFLERS!!! Just delete your stock one.... Bang 4 Buck certain.

Eucharistos is right, tubes and filters on a Gen 1-2 will give you better tone, and 15 documented HP. And a snappier throttle response. This is the FIRST HP mod to perfom on a stock Gen 1-2. [ACR has em already}

Delete the stock mufflers? wha?

Also, when you say tubes and filters do you mean that K&N kit with the two filters and smooth tubes? I was thinking about this earlier on, but in this thread I was told to avoid those smaller mods so I nixed this one

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are correct the smooth tubes and k&n.....yup its a great cheap mod....its a must

Delete the stock mufflers? wha?

Also, when you say tubes and filters do you mean that K&N kit with the two filters and smooth tubes? I was thinking about this earlier on, but in this thread I was told to avoid those smaller mods so I nixed this one

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does deleting stock mufflers mean?

Removing the stock Muffler in the back and replacing it with two separate pieces of pipe... Any exhaust shop should be able to do it pretty cheap. Don't know how much HP it's worth but it will make the car sound better without spending that much money.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the stock Muffler in the back and replacing it with two separate pieces of pipe... Any exhaust shop should be able to do it pretty cheap. Don't know how much HP it's worth but it will make the car sound better without spending that much money.
Ah ya, that's what I thought it meant, but wasn't sure. That seems tempting for sure, but for the HP gain it might just be smarter to get a whole exhaust setup. I dunno

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All depends on how much $$$ youre willing to spend. Muffler delete can be done for about $200 or less.3" catback will flow better,but it'll cost a good bit more.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+2 on performance driving school. It's a HP mod that you can take with you to every vehicle you'll ever drive from that day forward.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
+2 on performance driving school. It's a HP mod that you can take with you to every vehicle you'll ever drive from that day forward.

Agreed........ I call a high performance driving school a SOFTWARE UPGRADE: The soft matter between your ears....