Black Chromed Wheels!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks.
Here's a quick side-by-side shot of the new wheels next to the OEM polished wheels:

You must be registered for see images

With the flat light today, it was tough to showoff the difference.
I was going for something more subtle than straight black paint or powder coating.....sort of in between black and silver.
I think this is it. :)

The black chroming was done via RDP Motorsports just outside of Cleveland, OH.
Under $1K for all 4 wheels and they look spectacular.

More pics coming once they get mounted.

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They look great! Did you get the centers black chrome also?
Thanks.
The center caps are plastic (or "plastique" if you're a Corvette owner LOL) so they don't hold up too well in acid baths. :)

I'm ordering a spare set of OEM caps that I will hand-paint to match the black chroming (as best I can).

With the lug nuts, I'm screwed. I take my wheels off regularly, so it'd be worthless to paint/finish them.
They'll stay "dirty silver". :D

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have black chrome h-spokes---- i love them... do you have electroplateing or powdercoat with clear?

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's certainly not powder coat. :D
It's an electroplating process.

From a big shop in the pitch black darkness of my bed at 2AM as it rained, my buddy and I noticed a red hue/tinge to the inner surface of the wheel.
It's impossible to see in regular daylight, and is only seen when you shine the light *just right* at night.
It'll be hard to photograph, but I'll try down the road.

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing mine this winter. You know which of the places really did them? I need to make a trip to cbus to check them out. Leaning towards the black chrome but have never seen it in person.

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LAGALAXY- You're welcome to cruise by and check them out anytime. Give me a buzz on the cell or PM me here.

I'm waiting on the new center caps, then I have to paint/clear them....so....they'll be on some time next week.

RDP is who I used. The actual place that does the black chroming really only does commercial stuff, so I went thru Steve at RDP.
The plus about doing it this way is that Steve is a bigger perfectionist than I am, so if the finish isn't absolutely dead-on, he sends it back to have them do it again. He won't call you unless they're nice enough for telescope mirrors. :D

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics of the black chrome wheels installed (with Nexen Roadian HP tires):

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep--they rock, check out my black chrome h-spokes on jon b,s thread-- chrome h-spokes

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep--almost as good as sex--but not quite-----but runs in second place to my hot woman:)

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen this same companies black chrome procses on some Maserati wheels here locally. Very nice.

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So where did you have the centers done at? Local painter? i need to get over to your place so i can get this done soon or straight chrome.

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on board with that color! What about center caps? Can they do them too?
So where did you have the centers done at? Local painter? i need to get over to your place so i can get this done soon or straight chrome.
Thanks everyone!
(and thanks Bob, for bringing this thread back up!)

The center caps can not be chromed as they're plastic and the acid bath they would take would end them being center caps. :D
I bought an extra set, sanded them, primed them, sanded, re-primed, sanded, painted, sanded, painted (repeat until content with finish), then 4-5 coats of clear.
I used a 'gun metal gray gloss' rattle-can (Summit Racing, maybe?). It's not an absolutely perfect match, but it's also not shiny silver. :)

There are black lug nuts out there, but the finish on them is real touchy.
I left my chrome ones on there and the black chrome of the wheels seems to darken them up a little by reflection alone. It works out pretty well.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cal chrome can black chrome plastic or even a dog ****, no really i have black chrome centers in plastic for my challenger but did not use them

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
cal chrome can black chrome plastic or even a dog ****, no really i have black chrome centers in plastic for my challenger but did not use them

I was always looking for a place for my moms dog turds. Now I know I can get them chromed it should brighten up the yard.:D

Yea when I contacted them early last year I thought they said they could "black" them, for more cash.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
(and thanks Bob, for bringing this thread back up!)

The center caps can not be chromed as they're plastic and the acid bath they would take would end them being center caps. :D
I bought an extra set, sanded them, primed them, sanded, re-primed, sanded, painted, sanded, painted (repeat until content with finish), then 4-5 coats of clear.
I used a 'gun metal gray gloss' rattle-can (Summit Racing, maybe?). It's not an absolutely perfect match, but it's also not shiny silver. :)

There are black lug nuts out there, but the finish on them is real touchy.
I left my chrome ones on there and the black chrome of the wheels seems to darken them up a little by reflection alone. It works out pretty well.

No problem. Randall had mentioned something over the weekend that you had gotten some wheels done up in my neck of the woods but I didn't know the shop (at the time). So when I saw this here last night in one of the forums I clicked on it. Again, those wheels look pretty sweet on that truck!! :2tu:

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't look too sweet this morning.....snow and muck....damnit. :)

Dyno Steve at RDP is a great guy and a real horsepower ****** like all of us.
He'll take good care of you.

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
man I almost sent my h wheels out to get chromed yesterday. thank goodness i stopped by this post! black chrome for the win. verrrry nice stuff there

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth