Bought a '98 RT/10 - newb!

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I just picked up a '98 RT/10 (w/less than 11k miles) a few days ago, and yes, I've already completed my online application to the VCA.
I've doing a lot of reading and researching potential mods, as I do all my own wrenching. The same day my Viper was delivered I sold my 560rwhp '02 Z06, so I'm no stranger to fast cars. Last year I sold my '73 big-block Duster, which brings me to my 1st question - should my RT/10 idle like a big-block mopar with a 509cam (car rockin' and rollin')? I know the odd firing order contributes to this, but what is normal?
Also, one weird thing about the car, besides being the LAST 1998 Viper produced, is that it has the ACR belt kit. It looks professionally done, and also has the stock seatbelts - any thoughts on this?
-Darren

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes its normal. Gotta love the old lumpy cam cars. Not sure what an ACR belt kit is. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Congrats on your purchase! :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes its normal. Gotta love the old lumpy cam cars. Not sure what an ACR belt kit is. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Congrats on your purchase! :2tu:

ACR belt kit = 5 point harness.

If you have the factory belts AND harnesses it is obviously aftermarket to those in the know.

If you have ACR harnesses, that is another thing to be noticed by those that know stuff, on a non ACR car.

I would have one OR the other unless you are going to track the car and sit on the harness going to the Quikie Mart.

Or be ready to 'splain to some that might go, "Why both?" :dunno:

Congrats on your new ride otherwise!

OP
OP
C

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! OK, so I can assume the car is supposed to rock back and forth with a rough idle. What years used the
708 cam?
And, yes, by "ACR belts," I meant the 5-point harness with the ACR logo. The guy I bought the car from only had it a short time, and he swore that the previous owner told him they were factory installed. I think they may have meant "dealer-installed." I haven't explored the details of their install - are they a PITA to remove (I agree that it's silly to have both)?

My car has a ridiculously late build date (12/98) so it has the later model fan, which I guess was a running change on the line. Like I mentioned, the registry indicates this was the last '98 (which is fun for those into minutia).

Additional power is tough to come by for reasonable $$ with these cars, it seems. At least if you stay NA. Initially, I'm going with an exhaust mostly for sound. I found a buildup online which aims for 500hp with bolt-ons, but I've found conflicting opinions, not to mention that for the same money, you could have bolted on a blower and surpassed the results. We'll see what the future holds...:headbang:

OP
OP
C

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where I come from, bolt-on's mean keeping the car NA (normally aspirated). The Roe SC looks like a nice piece, but for me, at least, it's a big chunk of $$ to blow at one time. It's easier for me to slide it by my wife if I mod piece by piece, but it seems like most mods are not cost-effective (i.e.- $100/hp).

I got a great deal on the Procharger I installed on my Z06 ($2k brand new off Ebay), but that was a fluke.

The recipe I saw for 500hp included headers, exhaust, intake,
65mm TB's, and 1.7 rockers, but that's like $5k for what, maybe 75hp or so at best?? Thoughts??

Anyhow, plenty of time to mod but first comes buffing, polishing, and waxing...:blah:
Thanks for the welcome!!:2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes... Welcome to the Viper community. Yup, you'll find jokers here, wrench heads, cyber fighting, VIPER TAX...

You better get used to the $100.00 per 5 to 10 hp thing. That ain't no 1 of 300,000 Z06 Vette that RT/10!

OP
OP
C

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Yeah, you're right, the uniqueness of the vehicle is part of its appeal, and also its crutch. I knew that going in, so I'll stop complaining.
Here's the only pic I have so far, taken with my crappy phone camera:
You must be registered for see images

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go with the Roe blower. You can instal it yourself and my 1st Viper made 598rwhp with 644rwtq.

I also have a 500hp 440 Duster with a 250hp Nitrous (in case I'm racing a Viper) and it's for sale.

Now I have a 720rwhp Roe equipped GTS. Compares only to other sc'd Vipers. My 440 tube chassis Arrow was faster and way easier to drive. My Viper is a whole new experience and I'm lovin' it.

Ted

OP
OP
C

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, a blower would be nice, but the funds aren't there so I'll have to go with bolt-on's for now, unless I find a deal on a used one. I'm no stranger to S/C, having installed everything on my (now sold) '02 Z06 (562rwhp).

So far, I am waiting on my exhaust and shifter, and I'll be ordering hi-flo cats this week. I'd like to get a 3" set-up that will work with the stock shorties, as it doesn't seem cost-effective to go with headers. We'll see...

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One point of clarification on Dave's first post re: the ACR belts.....All ACRs have both the standard 3 point pull across seat belt AND the 5 point harness. Why? Because the 5 point harnesses are not street legal as a form of restraint (at least they're not in VA and I suspect it's a DOT thing).

BTW, welcome to the club. Are you coming to the VA/MD/DE Hissmass party? Would love to meet you!

OP
OP
C

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One point of clarification on Dave's first post re: the ACR belts.....All ACRs have both the standard 3 point pull across seat belt AND the 5 point harness. Why? Because the 5 point harnesses are not street legal as a form of restraint (at least they're not in VA and I suspect it's a DOT thing).

BTW, welcome to the club. Are you coming to the VA/MD/DE Hissmass party? Would love to meet you!

Being the last '98 produced (12/98 build date), would it have been possible to have had them installed on the line since the ACR could have been (literally) right behind it? Is there a place on the car where a build sheet or option codes can be found? It seems like a lot of effort to go through to install the ACR belts when there were NO other mods done to the car.:dunno:

Sorry, I will be out of town for the party.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being the last '98 produced (12/98 build date), would it have been possible to have had them installed on the line since the ACR could have been (literally) right behind it? Is there a place on the car where a build sheet or option codes can be found? It seems like a lot of effort to go through to install the ACR belts when there were NO other mods done to the car.:dunno:

Sorry, I will be out of town for the party.

I would give Chuck Tator a call with your VIN in hand. He can look up the VIN in the Dodge database for you and may be able to give you some insight into the cars history. What you're proposing is possible though, I suppose.

Bummer about the party. Hope we see you at next years club events. We're a pretty active region here.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! I also just bought a '98 RT/10 in red, with low miles. I'm having a blast reading through the posts on this site, learning quite a lot as I go. Right now, doing what you are doing, cleaning, waxing, polishing.

Enjoy your new ride! :drive:

1998 RT/10, Red

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! I also just bought a '98 RT/10 in red, with low miles. I'm having a blast reading through the posts on this site, learning quite a lot as I go. Right now, doing what you are doing, cleaning, waxing, polishing.

Enjoy your new ride! :drive:

1998 RT/10, Red

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OLD THREAD ALERT!!!!! :D :D :D

Welcome to the site. Hope you'll decide to join us in the VCA. Please see this link for great information on all the great things the VCA provides to make Viper ownership that much more fun:

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/603453-new-viper-owner-time-join-vca.html