• get a transparent one

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • get a black one

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

ptiemann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everybody, this is my first post. I bought my Viper last Saturday and have had a lot of fun so far. Worried about the paint job, and for this car, I think, maybe I should buy one of those bras?

It's a 2006 red convertible, black top, black interior. A black bra? Normally I don't like them. It's like having an ugly blanket to protect your sofa. I went to this site's Gallery to view photos, seems NOBODY has a bra installed? Searching for "bra" shows 100s of pictures of "BRAkes" :dunno:

Below is my new baby, also showing 2 of my other cars.

I think I'll make a poll.

-Peter

Attachments

• festiva_viper2.jpg
    festiva_viper2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Dsc01077.jpg
    Dsc01077.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 47

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want a bra, it will rub off more paint than it saves. Get the 3M coating applied then it can be peeled off later and the paint underneath is like brand new. You can also have someone talented put graphics on your can that can be removed painlessly later since the 3M material comes in every color in the world as well as clear.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with clear bra for street driving, do the nose and the first 6" of so of the hood and top of fenders, and get the the front of the side sills done as well as the back of he rear wheels. The factory, or aftermarket bra's have a tendancy to scratch the paint. For the track (road racing) I put the bra on, on top of the clear bra.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have the speed lingerie color-matched bra for my car and don't have a bad thing to say about it. The color match is very good. Good luck

~craig

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why don't you try a clear bra, like one of those 3M star-shields

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a bra on my car and can't say enough good things about it. I have NO rock chips or "paint rubs" on my 30K 2001 GTS.

Perhaps the best thing about a bra is that it comes off easily. I drive to the car show and when I remove the bra all the bugs come off with it. Clean the windshield and a few splatters off the roof and it's ready to collect 1st place!

You must be registered for see images

No doubt the car looks better without the bra, but it looks a lot worse when the front of the car is covered in bug guts.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a bra on my car and can't say enough good things about it. I have NO rock chips or "paint rubs" on my 30K 2001 GTS.

Perhaps the best thing about a bra is that it comes off easily. I drive to the car show and when I remove the bra all the bugs come off with it. Clean the windshield and a few splatters off the roof and it's ready to collect 1st place!

No doubt the car looks better without the bra, but it looks a lot worse when the front of the car is covered in bug guts.

It really looks better than I thought. Maybe I will get one for my Poser? Where did you get it? Any of the sponsors? If not, or they don't carry any, PM me. I would want to buy one from one of our fine sponsors. Thanks. :)

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed Lingerie sells the bra that is a color match for your car, even w/ stripes if you want them...BTW, I'm just a customer, not a salesman. Just passing the word on a good product.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The bra on the car is a Mopar part. The bra I bought for my Stealth was a generic bra and high speed caused the velcro/aluminium straps to rip off. The Stealth paint was instantly damaged/rubbed and I ended up throwing that bra in the garbage. Don't buy a cheap one.

The entire front of my Stealth is covered in rock chips and needs a repaint after only 1.5 years of no-bra.

Ted

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bra on the car is a Mopar part. The bra I bought for my Stealth was a generic bra and high speed caused the velcro/aluminium straps to rip off. The Stealth paint was instantly damaged/rubbed and I ended up throwing that bra in the garbage. Don't buy a cheap one.

The entire front of my Stealth is covered in rock chips and needs a repaint after only 1.5 years of no-bra.

Ted

Who did you get the Mopar one from and how much. You can PM me if you would like to share your information. The Speed Lingerie is around $560... but for a red car it might be the thing.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bought it off of ebay, new.

I have to agree that a red bra would look better than a black bra on a red car though.

Ted

OP
OP
P

ptiemann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback and also for the pictures. I have already looked for a local installer. I'm now thinking of going with the transparent thing. I saw some web site where they had tested the shield with a gas pistol. I was impressed.

-Peter

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the clear bra and it works great. By the way that is the best color but don't park it that close to that little green thing.:D

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a car that currently has a 3M clear bra installed. I wanted to put vinyl stripes on the car but I looked at the 3M site and it said that the 3M material can not be removed and re installed.

Would it make sence to put the vinyl over the top of the 3m? Then, if I ever wanted to remove the 3m are the stripes history?

Any suggesstions?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although the 3M coating is great, I wouldn't want to be the guy removing it. It may be easier to just buy a new nose cover when it needs to be repainted. When you get a few rock chips, hit a curb once to often while parking, run over a road kill/rock or someone hits your nose ... repainting would be a huge pain. If you have to repaint the nose every three years it would probably cost less than the 3M partial covering.

My Stealth came with the 3M clear covering on the PVC side skirts, scoops and wheel openings. You can't tell that now as the PVC is bare and the rocks have worn off all the 3M and then the paint. The inside edges of my wheelwells are now yellow - on my Hunter Green car.

Talk to a bodyshop for advice. Since I do my own painting I won't use the 3M. Easier and cheaper to repaint.

I use the vinyl bra for bugs and rock chips. Saves me a half hour cleaning when I get to the show area and remove it. Depending on your speed some bugs actually dent the paint, but only on the nose. The airflow at the mirrors, windshield and roof aren't hard to get the bugs off of.

Ted

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not difficult to remove the clear bra if needed. All you have to do is apply a little heat to heat and start peeling back. Worst case is you might have a little adhesive left over... but nothing a little 3M adhesive remover wont take care of.