Buying a Porter Cable... What pads?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting a Porter cabel 7424. What pads would I need for the following applications:

- My Viper that has a few small scratches courtesy of my back window being shot out and the glass scracthing it, but otherwise it only has a few swirl marks.

- My 2005 daily driver with lots of swirl marks and a few minor nicks.

- My wife's Van with lots of scratches, nicks and swirl marks.

Thanks.:)

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I may...... :)

At one time or another we all have been victims of those swirl marks.

Getting rid of them is time consuming and takes hard work, with the correct tools, products and procedures you can indeed remove them. In some extreme cases, extreme effort and procedures are needed.

Few examples of conditions that may create them.

1- Automatic Car washes
2- Wrong type of Microfiber towel
3- Wrong type of wax
4- Wrong type of pads
5- Wrong type of machine
6- Harsh polishing compounds
7- Not keeping your wash mitt or sponge properly rinsed.
8- Wiping down a dusty or dirty car with a dry towel.
9- Towels and applicators containing polyester threads.
10- A dirty chamois or a chamois that has not been properly maintained
11-Using a car cover when the car or the cover is not clean.
12-Wrong type of shampoo

Regarding the pads we like to following pads

New Generation of Foam Pads-Center Ring Foam Pads

Permanently Mounted on Pad
8.5' Total Diameter
Velcro Back with Centering Ring

New innovative foam pad design that is safer and faster. The new design is a recessed back flexible ring permanently glued on the Velcro side so the backing plate is centered on the pad every time. You can center the plate with just one hand in seconds and the center ring prevents the backing plate from cutting threw the foam pad and making contact with the paint.

Another benefit of the center ring is that when you have a true centered pad on the polisher the final finish is even and the technician will have less fatigue in their arms.

The face of the center ring pads will have a hexagon cut design which will allow for the chemicals to be distributed better while buffing and keep the heat down as well.

What separates us from the rest is that we don’t just lay sheets of foam with Velcro and die cut them, we manufacture our foam pads with recessed backs to protect and eliminate any accidents a technician can do while buffing. Flat pads are great but if you have an exposed backing plate edge you can hit the paint and cause damage that will set you back.

New generation of buffing pads, hexagon squares that will help trap the polishes while buffing and reduce the heat buildup when the user is buffing. The hexagon pattern on the pads also helps distribute the polish more evenly giving you a better finish, special black ring on the back of the foam pads is to center the backing plate, provide protection from the backing plate making any contact on the paint,foam pads are made from the BEST materials . Made in U.S.A.

Ring provides instant one hand centering
Ring prevents backing plate cut threw
Ring system is fully washable.

Foam Pads for the Porter Cable. Standard Industry color-code usage of foam pads.

Yellow Foam Pad- Use for Heavy duty Compound
Orange Foam Pad- Use for Light duty compound
White Foam Pad- Use for Polish
Green Foam Pad- Use for Compound/Polish
Black Foam Pad- Use for machine Glaze
Blue Foam Pad- Use for Polish/Sealant

Front Sample
You must be registered for see images

Back Sample

If you like send me a PM for more details.:)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not remove any scratches, chips or serious swirl marks with the PC 7424, don't expect too much. The trade off for the inherent safety to your cars finish with that tool is the ineffectiveness on serious blemishes. It will help with light swirl marks. Reagardless of what pad you use that tool can not cut into your clearcoat which it must do to actually get a scratch out.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not remove any scratches, chips or serious swirl marks with the PC 7424, don't expect too much. The trade off for the inherent safety to your cars finish with that tool is the ineffectiveness on serious blemishes. It will help with light swirl marks. Reagardless of what pad you use that tool can not cut into your clearcoat which it must do to actually get a scratch out.

What do you suggest to help with the scratches in my wifes Van (other than buy another one)?:) A different polisher?

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tito - great post, but you missed the greatest cause of swirl marks and scratches...Number 1: idiot lot/wash boys on new car lots. I was just looking at a new '08 sitting on the lot that looked like it had 5 years of wear to the finish becuase the lot boy apparently never rinses his wash mitt. In fact, I'm convinced he must throw it in the drivers footwell of his car every night when he leaves the dealership, and simply picks it up the next day. Never, ever let a dealer wash your car if you can help it!

Viper Jon - I like the PC because it is pretty safe, but an aggressive foam pad and polishing compound with cutting materials will definitely remove scratches - and possibly damage the finish if not used properly. I just don't want everyone to think it's safe to go commando on your car with a PC. If the swirls are bad, pay a pro and maintain it with the PC. You're almost guaranteed to make things worse without experience. When I was younger, I worked at a body shop and their "program" was to let me polish damaged, throw away hoods and fenders off of wrecked cars many, many times before touching a finished car. You may be able to get the same practice at a bone yard, if the owner is a good car guy...

Good luck!

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Practice with the PC, but go with the Flex XC3401. More aggressive, but not too dangerous for the amateur unless you use the totally wrong product and pad.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the PC for 3 years now...and I it's great for perfect or near-perfect paint with minor swirls. Not so good for swirls or scratches. It's too safe even with the most aggressive compounds. I've found that the 3M fine cut, extra cut and swirl mark remover polishes work well with the PC on very light swirl marks using the lake county pads. However, after a couple of years of working with the PC I'm ready to graduate to the Makita BO6040 for removing actual scratches in the clear coat. In fact, I'm going to wet sand a few panels pretty soon to get rid of some peel. The P.C. is safe but I would go immediately to the Makita or a pneumatic orbital if I were to do it all over again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am going with the Flex. I may be able to get the best of both worlds with this one and the right combination of pads an polishers. Thanks guys. :)

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have to disagree, I spent several hours in the garage today doing what you say cannot be done. PC with Orange pad and the correct abrasive will remove swirls and scratches, you just have to do it correctly. That being said crawl before you walk, PC will burn paint, I witnessed it on the front fascia of a Ram SRT10. All this and more can be found on Autopia.org. There is also a very in depth post of what a ROB can do when compared to a rotary, I read it and can't find it now. Oh and if you want to know what the pads do, its posted on the lake country site,
Lake Country Mfg., Inc.- Products - CCS Foam Pads

Chris

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tradeoff for safe is less effective.
Go with one of the more aggressive tools, ane learn how to use it.
I've had the PC for years, and to burn the paint (if it's even possible) you would have to stand on it for an hour. Those "scratches" you see disappear are still there, just have the edges taken of them to reflect less light. Yes, light swirl marks will disappear but only very minor ones. I've used every pad and every abrasive there is.

Sorry Chris, no way on removing scratches with a PC. It can't cut the clear coat with any pad or abrasive unless it's sandpaper. :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tradeoff for safe is less effective.
Go with one of the more aggressive tools, ane learn how to use it.
I've had the PC for years, and to burn the paint (if it's even possible) you would have to stand on it for an hour. Those "scratches" you see disappear are still there, just have the edges taken of them to reflect less light. Yes, light swirl marks will disappear but only very minor ones. I've used every pad and every abrasive there is.

Sorry Chris, no way on removing scratches with a PC. It can't cut the clear coat with any pad or abrasive unless it's sandpaper. :D

I agree with Jon on this especially after witnessing a professional detailer show me the difference between the PC and a rotary on my cars two years ago. He took my PC7424 and used it on 1/2 of the hood of my daily driver and then used his rotary on the other half. The difference was night and day. Since my dd had a lot of swirls it was really easy to see the difference. The PC just isn't aggressive enough for me (after all it jiggles the pad on the paint...) but it all depends on the condition of your paint. For most folks who have very mild swirls the PC will work just fine especially with so called 'polishes' that end up filling in the swirls. I've found that on my Viper's paint, the PC is fine but I need a more aggressive machine on my DD and will be getting the Flex. More info on polishing/pads here: An Introduction to Machine Polishing

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the flex DA, but if you dont want to drop that much cash then go with the UDM. the UDM is slightly faster/more comfortable to use then the PC. It vibrates a lot less too.

I disagree with a lot of the replies on this thread. I have been detailing for years. I started off with a Porter cable also.

I use my Dual Action polisher atleast every 4 months to polish out swirls on my cars. No matter how hard you try your eventually going to get the swirls on your car, even with all the proper washing techniques (Yes you will greatly reduce them washing with 2 buckets and using all the right techniques but you will still get them.)

I strongly recommend any dual action polisher.

go to autogeek dot net and you can learn A LOT there.

---edited---
oh im sorry, and to answer your questions. 90% of swirls you will be able to get them out with an orange lake county pad. then follow it with a softer white pad.
And dont start with a very aggresive polish/swirl remover either. Use the least aggresive polish you have, and if that dosn't work move up from there.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
get the flex DA, but if you dont want to drop that much cash then go with the UDM. the UDM is slightly faster/more comfortable to use then the PC. It vibrates a lot less too.

I disagree with a lot of the replies on this thread. I have been detailing for years. I started off with a Porter cable also.

I use my Dual Action polisher atleast every 4 months to polish out swirls on my cars. No matter how hard you try your eventually going to get the swirls on your car, even with all the proper washing techniques (Yes you will greatly reduce them washing with 2 buckets and using all the right techniques but you will still get them.)

I strongly recommend any dual action polisher.

go to autogeek dot net and you can learn A LOT there.

---edited---
oh im sorry, and to answer your questions. 90% of swirls you will be able to get them out with an orange lake county pad. then follow it with a softer white pad.
And dont start with a very aggresive polish/swirl remover either. Use the least aggresive polish you have, and if that dosn't work move up from there.

Great info. I think people here tend to forget that the average Viper owner looking to keep up their Viper and/or daily has NO need for anything other than a good DA/RO polisher. I consider myself an avid detailer with better than average skills and if I ever needed some SERIOUS correction done on my Viper I would have no problem having a true professional do it. Just my opinion.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info. I think people here tend to forget that the average Viper owner looking to keep up their Viper and/or daily has NO need for anything other than a good DA/RO polisher. I consider myself an avid detailer with better than average skills and if I ever needed some SERIOUS correction done on my Viper I would have no problem having a true professional do it. Just my opinion.

Great point and I think that serious paint correction on the Viper should be the exception...not the norm.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are we addressing the average Viper owner or the OP? He asked about removing scratches, swirl marks and nicks. The PC won't help scratches, deep swirl marks or nicks. His wifes van with "lots of scratches". You won't get one scratch out with it. In his case the PC would be a waste of money, better tools available. Doesn't take a genius to operate a rotary or a hybrid, and you can really correct some flaws and scratches.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the Porter Cable 7424 and use the Meguiars polishing pad along with the Meguiars finishing pad. I also use the polish Meguiars recommends for these pads. Their website explains it all. However, as others mentioned this is only good for minor imperfections and is not very aggressive.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please see Autopia.org, no its not gospel but it has very good info from several detailers. While you are they check out the the numerous posts referring to the "kevin brown" method. You will see several pictures of swirls and RIDS being removed. I'm not disputing that a rotary will remove more than a PC or ROB for that matter I'm contradiction the above statement. You can also come look at my car when I'm done with it if you want to drive to Texas. A good stripping of the wax with straight IPA and proper lighting will show you all the scratches hidden by wax, polish or glaze. From that point you arent filling but removing clear past the deepest spot of said indention. Orange LC pad with Megs 105 on 6 removes swirls and SOME RIDS. When you are done look at the factual data in the post below.

Wetsanding vs. Rotary vs. PC, what removes more paint? (The answer may shock you) - Autopia.org

Not being confrontational, providing factual data compared to he said she said. Can you strip paint with a Rotary and consider that more removal, of course its turning a few more RPMs than a ROB. Can you remove paint with an ROB yes, like I said I've seen it done firsthand. Did the original posters post even once lead me to believe that he needs a rotory, nothing against him but hell no. Do I own a rotary, yes makita 9227, have I used it, no never had to. I know of several detailers as mentioned who use a ROB to finish up, removing holograms left by rotary. Remember the abrasive plays a huge role in the removal process. I have also used a yellow pad at one point in time on my GTS. When I bought it it looked as if someone had washed it with a brillo pad, attached pics below are poor but you can see what I mean. This was one pass with a PC 6.5 inch LC yellow pad, which was overkill, but I didnt want to screw around with multiple pads and passes. The right side had nothing on it.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited: