Buying my first Viper.... now what?

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by MtyMous, Feb 5, 2018.

1. MtyMous

MtyMous Enthusiast

Hey guys. Long time Viper lover here, but I finally just swallowed the pill and bought it.

I snagged a 2001 GTS in Sapphire Blue with Silver stripes. It's the combo I've been hunting for for years.

So if you could tell a new owner one thing, (advice, tips, suggestions, warning, etc) what would you say.

ViperJeff likes this.
  2. nmp1

nmp1 Enthusiast

i have some other insightful videos as well

John333 likes this.
  3. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

The big thing is just learn the car. Don't try to take it to its limits the first time you drive it. Work up to it and get used to how it drives before you try to set any records. They are tons of fun, but just be responsible. They are not nearly as hard to drive as people think. If you drive them like a normal car, they respond like a normal car. It's only when you push them really hard that they can be a handful.

4. ViperJeff

ViperJeff VCA Legacy Member - UT/AZ Staff Member

5. MtyMous

MtyMous Enthusiast

@nmp1 thanks for the video links. I've actually watched your videos a couple of times before I purchased. haha.

@ViperJeff , thanks for the welcome!

@MoparMap I've driven a few of these before. I have fast cars and slow cars. I'm not much for being an idiot on the street. My drive home will be a simple, easy shakedown. Just getting to know the car and feeling it out. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

6. nmp1

nmp1 Enthusiast

glad you did, thats the main purpose of my channel

7. BlackVenom

BlackVenom Viper Owner

If you do not mind, how many miles are on the car and how much was it?

BlackVenom

8. Gen3CoupeTX

Gen3CoupeTX Enthusiast

Nice! My first one was a blue / silver 2001. Just enjoy it, get to know the car.

9. MtyMous

MtyMous Enthusiast

She's pretty gorgeous.

20180217_153957-01.jpeg 20180218_122108-01.jpeg

Gen3CoupeTX, John333 and ViperJeff like this.
  10. MtyMous

MtyMous Enthusiast

@BlackVenom I'd rather not say how much. But it wasn't much off asking price if you're able to find her online. And she has 39k on the clock

11. John333

John333 VCA Member - Northeast

I've also watched your videos several times. Thanks for making them! Saved me a ton of embarrasment yesterday: I took my new 2001 GTS ACR out to get a MD inspection. On the way home, I stopped at Home Depot for a few small things. Tried to lock the doors with the key remote, but no joy. I locked them using the door switch and added a 2132 battery to my list. Back at the car, I installed the new battery and clicked, clicked an clicked again--no joy. Thanks to your video, I knew how to get in my car and how to turn off the alarm! Checking back with the previous owner, he told me he had purchased a new key remote, but hadn't had it programmed yet. This is why I dont play the lottery. With a 50% chance of winning, I chose the wrong one going for the red key over the black one. Thanks a ton for making those videos!!! I owe you one.

MtyMous likes this.