C&D SRT review: uninspiring....

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll ignore Mako's anti-Viper whining (don't you guys see? He's just like Red5) and skip right to Janni's comments. Mako, when you actually HAVE a Viper order, then we'll care about your comments. Yeah, I know you claim to have one, but we also know you're a guy that dumped a bunch of change into a Z06 and loves to proclaim the car's superiority. Ain't seen no Z06's pulling 12.0's in the rags. Maybe customers do, but Viper customers pull 11.6's at 120mph. The SRT will pull low 11's at 123-124mph in customers hands... fact....deal with it.

Making a braking system work better is NOT simply a matter of putting bigger rotors and calipers on, with different pads.

Think about it - friction between the tire and road is what causes a car to stop. If the stock system can push the stock tire to maximum friction (i.e. the point right before lockup), then no amount of brake work will make the car stop shorter. The reason people change out their brakes is either for better brake FEEL or for larger heat holding capacity for track use. Can you lock up your stock brakes at 80mph? My Viper certainly could. So, the brakes are NOT the weak link, the amount of available friction is.

How do you get more friction? Either through better (stickier) tires, or by changing the whole vehicle geometry to have more weight pushing down on the front tires during braking (friction is a function of the friction coefficient and weight - you can only increase Cf so much and then you need more weight on the wheels during braking).

The reason cars like the Porsche and Z06 brake so well are because their chassis' are setup correctly to put weight OVER the front wheels rather than simply pushing them from behind. The Viper tends to push the wheels forward rather than putting the weight over the wheels, so a Viper GTS with the BEST BRAKES IN THE WORLD will *NOT* stop the same as an SRT will.

That's been my point all along... you can't add 50hp to a GTS and proclaim you have an SRT. You would need to do *major* driveline improvements and massive suspension improvements to make it handle and brake like an SRT. And for the cost, you now have a hacked up GTS, not an SRT.

Now, as for the performance numbers... I was told that in testing the car was running mid 11's at 123-124mph. Yes, I am disappointed not to see these numbers showing up in the mags, BUT, bear in mind *ALL* of these magazines doing the testing are reporting from an isolated test that took place in California.

Maybe the track sucked? Maybe the conditions weren't so good? I really don't know. Not until we see more tests of the car will we really know. I would like to see true head-to-head test of the Viper SRT against the 911 Turbo and Z06. Don't compare numbers from one test to those from another. We have been whining about that all along, when someone pulls a number from one test and compares it to a number from another. I've seen 12.6 numbers quoted for an ACR. I've seen 115mph. Now I have also seen 12.1 and 119mph. What if we see an article in MT in a couple of months pitting the Viper against the Z06 and they run 11.5@123 in the Viper and 12.5@117 in the Z06. THEN WILL YOU GUYS BE HAPPY? Chill out a little... let's not proclaim the SRT to be a lame duck before we get a larger data set to draw that conclusion from. And before someone says "but all the mags reported disappointing numbers", well, let me say that they all tested the cars at the same place on the same days. Let's wait until we see a more diverse test base with head-to-head tests against competing cars before we $hit on the SRT, mmmmkay?

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the way it looks, but after driving it at VOI, I am impressed. It is not VIPER, the way that everybody knows it, but the performance is top notch. I don't understand why these test driver's give it "so-so" reviews. This car will appeal to different owners than current "Viper" people. If looks and emotion weren't a deciding factor, we would probably be looking foward to having one in our garage.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
The SRT will pull low 11's at 123-124mph in customers hands... fact....deal with it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Know-it-all about everything,
Please post your stock SRT-10 time slip showing an ET &lt; 11.5 ie. low 11's and the 123-124mph trap speed after you take delivery.
The SRT-10 is ugly...fact...deal with it.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEVILDOG:
Please post your stock SRT-10 time slip showing an ET &lt; 11.5 ie. low 11's and the 123-124mph trap speed after you take delivery.
The SRT-10 is ugly...fact...deal with it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get a kick out of the fact that whenever I post, you get all riled up about it and start following me around the board looking for other posts to argue with me in
laugh.gif
. I was talking to a few other guys on the phone and we noticed that you've been on AOL for HOURS AND HOURS on this Friday night and been on the "who'se online" on the board since about 5 hours ago. Obsessive? Yeah, just a little! I guess I get under your skin
laugh.gif

LeveledHog, I don't mind if you hate the SRT... I never did base my decisions on what everyone else likes, so it doesn't matter. But I do know it doesn't take a Venom650R (with it's 418RWHP on tap) to run 11.5@123-124. I have run a best of 11.6 and a best of 121mph with a 98 GTS. I am confident that -100lbs and +50hp and +35lb-ft is good for more than a tenth and more than 2mph. Believe me, when I get my SRT it will live at the drag strip for the first year, and then I will put a turbo on the car to keep it a weekend toy.

The SRT *IS* ugly but my dad can still beat up your dad!
laugh.gif
Boy, this is just soooo "high school"... how fun (read: lame).

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
You don't have your facts straight again. You follow and attack my posts first as you did tonight on the DEADBEAT thread. I will always respond and do likewise to you. DON'T YOU READ THE RULES AT THE TOP ABOUT NO PERSONAL ATTACKS? FACT...you attacked me first. Ask the moderators? Why don't you call your friends back for more support since you can't handle this on your own?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEVILDOG:
You don't have your facts straight again. You follow and attack my posts first as you did tonight on the DEADBEAT thread. I will always respond and do likewise to you. DON'T YOU READ THE RULES AT THE TOP ABOUT NO PERSONAL ATTACKS? FACT...you attacked me first. Ask the moderators? Why don't you call your friends back for more support since you can't handle this on your own?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DeviledHam,

I appreciate your respect for my knowledge... cheers man! I thought we were talking about SRT times? Did we get off the subject? That thread is there... this one is here. It's not some big competition to sling mud all over the board. Let it go... breath in deep and let it out slow... repeat. Take the Devil650Hog out for a beating and see if you can toast 'em in 1st
smile.gif
, and then take it to a track and see how it runs.

I noticed you took the RWHP numbers out of your sig... you didn't get a rude awakening on the dyno did you?
laugh.gif
seriously, what have you run in the 1/4 in your GTS? What did it run stock? I would bet a good chunk of change that I could run a stock SRT faster than your best stock GTS time. Want to take that bet? What's a grand out of today's $300k profits?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
DeviledHam,

I appreciate your respect for my knowledge... cheers man! I thought we were talking about SRT times? Did we get off the subject? That thread is there... this one is here. It's not some big competition to sling mud all over the board. Let it go... breath in deep and let it out slow... repeat. Take the Devil650Hog out for a beating and see if you can toast 'em in 1st
smile.gif
, and then take it to a track and see how it runs.

I noticed you took the RWHP numbers out of your sig... you didn't get a rude awakening on the dyno did you?
laugh.gif
seriously, what have you run in the 1/4 in your GTS? What did it run stock? I would bet a good chunk of change that I could run a stock SRT faster than your best stock GTS time. Want to take that bet? What's a grand out of today's $300k profits?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mr. Know-it-all about everything ( except sarcasm ),
I shortened my signature when they limited it to 100 characters. They have changed the limit again to 300 characters, however, I don't feel like listing all my mods again. Check the VENOM 650R performance numbers in the auto mags. Then as you have stated above subtract some time and add some mph for a customer driver. My Venom dynoed as advertised. What about yours? Opps, you don't have one! Gee, you don't even have a Viper!
laugh.gif

Reaction score
While waiting in line to drive the SRT I saw the smiles on the faces of those finishing their laps. After my turn at the wheel, I knew why everyone was smiling.

This car is fantastic! Brakes- spend all the money you want on your Gen I or II and it still will be far behind the SRT-10.

Turn-in, This car turns like it is no rails. Spend all the money you want on shocks springs and still be out performed by the SRT.

The SRT is one outrageous car.

Spend 20,000 on brakes and motor and still be left in the dust of the SRT.

My opinion!

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder:

Unless you have driven the SRT your comments no little merit....

Nothing will beat it for under 200k.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred,
What do you mean my "comments no little merit"? In English translation does that mean my comments are irrelevant unless I've driven an SRT? That's a fairly pompous assertion. Let's ban everyone from the forum who hasn't driven a Viper, shall we?

All I'm saying here is that we were promised by higher-ups (e.g., Mr. Houss) that we would be blown away by the performance numbers when they came out in the mags, and that the performance numbers would make up for any styling deficiencies of the SRT. With all due respect, I don't need to have driven an SRT to say that I am not blown away by the results being reported in the mags. In fact, look at the Viper vs. Z06 summary on the bottom of p.46 of C&D. Nearly identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, and 70-0 within 7 feet of each other.

I would love to test drive an SRT, but I couldn't take time off from work for VOI, nor was it apparent that if I had spent the big bucks to go that I would've been assured seat time in one anyway, even though I have one on order. So how the heck am I supposed to test drive one before I plop down $90K?

Finally, with respect to your assertion that the SRT blows away anything &lt;$200K, that may be true....Until the GT-40 comes out.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if that's what it takes to be qualified to talk about the SRT-10, I guess I'll have to drive down to Redondo Beach too.
Just to get qualified to comment mind you.
wink.gif

-Dean.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom Lover:
Mike,

Sorry, I wasn't aware that the 2003 Viper comes in a coupe version that I can run at the NHRA street legal events. But anyway, where did I say I want a coupe? I just want the SRT to live up to the hype that has been generated here, such as this quote from you:

"...if I were a betting man, I would bet my bottom dollar that this car has been hitting mid 11's (11.5's) at 123-124mph in the 1/4 in testing."

Here's the link to your quote

Hopefully you didn't bet your bottom dollar.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I was told that, in testing, the SRT was running mid 11's at 123-124mph. Now, either I was lied to (why?), or this particular test was not able to get those numbers out of the car. This test was apparently conducted in 105 degree heat. Of COURSE the car is going to be down on performance. If you would rather believe that there is a conspiracy going on, or that the car really isn't any faster, then what can I say? I am not trying to change your mind, I can only relate the info I have been given and my opinions. I never said "Motor Trend WILL publish a mid-11 second run". How could I know what they achieved? I *am* disappointed that then numbers aren't better, but what can I do about it? I don't think I was lied to - I think this was a pretty crappy test of the SRT. I already see guys claming their GTS runs faster than the times on the SRT - great... so we have these guys running 12.0's in 60 degree weather at their favorite (i.e. sea level) track comparing to the SRT times run in 105 degree California heat. So be it.

If you don't think that going from 105 degree heat to 70 degree heat, and going from a decent driver to a good driver is going to be enough to shave 1/2 second off the ET and add 3mph to the trap speed, then all I could say is stick with your GTS - and be happy with the styling and the performance. I don't mean that to sound snappy, but what else can you do? You can say I am an atypical driver... ok, so be it. But I still have every confidence that the SRT will be 1/2 second and 3-4mph quicker than the GTS.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping that when the full production SRT-10s come out, and get tested against Europe's best performance cars (which is inevitable) that the SRT's performance numbers will be better.

All D/C needs is ONE test with the SRT-10 hitting high 11s, and those are the numbers that everyone who likes the Viper will remember.

-Dean.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who cares? If you don't like the car, don't buy it. A Ferrari 348 is cool looking too and less $$'s than a Viper, but it has no character like a Viper has. I think the SRT will get every bit as much attention as the GenI/II does... but I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Until people have seen the NEW SRT IN PERSON, then they really don't KNOW how it looks. And by the way, from what I understand the SRT's at VOI were not all the new style!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen the NEW VIPER in person, and I still don't like the looks.
laugh.gif
Tell you the truth, I'd rather have a Ferrari 348 than this new SRT-10 Camaro/Viper. But that's just one Motor City man's opinion.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maxwedge:

All these people claiming that the SRT is sooo much superior in handling, right? But when a rag test comes out comparing it to a ZO6 on a road course it looses?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Loses? Who said it loses? The SRT beat the Z06 in every category in every mag!

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact: Anyone that says: "Fact... that car is ugly" is seriously incorrect, that's an opinion. There will never be a "fact" describing the car in anyway, get that straight.

I was at VOI, that car is **** ****, and cannot wait to get it.

Fact: It was fast as hell.

Opinion: I got back in my semi-modded GTS after my SRT drive and came to the realization that there can be NOTHING I can do to it that will make it faster (all around, braking, handling, sure I could add NOS and go in a straight line really fast).

Opinion: The GTS is still the best looking car of all 3, followed by the SRT, followed DISTANTLY by the RT. That is an opinion, and the SRT haters do not have a lock on opinions.

Do I find t sucky that the rags don't see it like I see it? Hell yeah, but what really counts, is I drive my GTS (on a GREAT run) @11.9, and drive FAST in any event, and I am pretty sure that my SRT is WAY faster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude