cabin heat

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've expalined to a few people that the cabin heat problem in the Vipers is created by government regulations and not the fault of the engineers that designed the car. Change the Cats and the car is fixed.

My question is; Am I lying to them?

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, basically, Ted, no--that's not a lie....the crossover exhaust was designed to restrict exhaust/hence emissions...hence government....take out the crossovers, put in Corsa Track Exhaust, flow-thru cats, and you get a cooler cabin. We also added headers and run Royal Purple oil, which in turn makes for a cooler car overall. So, it's kinda the engineering of the exhaust, to meet emissions standards...very restrictive. high-flow cats make a big difference. ~juli~

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you could argue both directions. Yes, the government requires certain emission controls, which the available technology is cats. But, the engineers chose to build the car. They could have chosen not to. Not practical, not feasible, etc.

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mostly what I meant was that the factory Cats are required to pass emissions and those huge Cats are the main problem in all the Vipers. If I was one of the engineers I'd choose to install Hi-flow Cats, but that's not allowed by the Gov. regs?

Ted

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the regulations apply to all cars - most of them don't have this kind of cabin heat. Most of them don't have side exhausts either. Automotive engineering can be tough!

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the stock Viper header/exhaust system is quite restrictive to say the least. A good quality hard piping K&N style intake and say a Belanger header/ 3in exhaust muffler delete system will cool the car right down, add some good HP/TQ and give it a better less raspy sound.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the stock Viper header/exhaust system is quite restrictive to say the least. A good quality hard piping K&N style intake and say a Belanger header/ 3in exhaust muffler delete system will cool the car right down, add some good HP/TQ and give it a better less raspy sound.

Here in Texas, high on the list of mods to do. First though, is get that RDR radiator that's been sitting in my garage for 2 months installed.

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Texas, high on the list of mods to do. First though, is get that RDR radiator that's been sitting in my garage for 2 months installed.

Yes, because that list of light mods I described (to me at least) will just get you a bigger ticket faster. :lmao: If you want a ticket that cost as much as an aluminum fly wheel, go with a CPE TT set up like this . :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I did to reduce the heat was insulate the interior and take out the crosovers and added Corsa. I did the high flow cats but, it rattled windows in my neighborhood, and my wifes nerves so be careful with adding the cats, way way loud... It is much cooler with what I did. I have some extra if you want to buy some from me. Its also pretty easy to do.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't an additional reason for the crossover used on the 2003-2006 models that they wanted to allow both banks of cylinders to be heard through the exhaust?

/Rich

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, basically, Ted, no--that's not a lie....the crossover exhaust was designed to restrict exhaust/hence emissions...hence government....take out the crossovers, put in Corsa Track Exhaust, flow-thru cats, and you get a cooler cabin. We also added headers and run Royal Purple oil, which in turn makes for a cooler car overall. So, it's kinda the engineering of the exhaust, to meet emissions standards...very restrictive. high-flow cats make a big difference. ~juli~

Mike/Julie: How does running Royal purple oil reduce engine heat over the exisiting Mobil 1? or are you speaking of Royal purple oil for the diff?? Have you actually seen a drop in oil temp as a result of this change...??? just curious.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't an additional reason for the crossover used on the 2003-2006 models that they wanted to allow both banks of cylinders to be heard through the exhaust?

/Rich

Yes, in part, as it does make the exhaust sound better. but it also evens out the exhaust pulses of the odd firring engine. On my 2003 SRT-10 I run RT Cats, AtRo Racing Exhausts with the exhaust & crossover wrapped with heat tape, and I have insulated the cabin. People at Pocono Speedway have said that I have the best sounding exhaust they have ever heard, just ask "Yelloh"-Rick D. My side sill temps are so cool that I can rest my hand on the top of the side sill at any time.