Called out by 02' Z06........

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called out by 02\' Z06........

A friend called from the local strip, a few guys were up from Atlanta for the 10'5 outlaw race and one of them brought his 2002
Z06 with drag radials and n02 and were talking a little smack. I pile on the Purners and et streets and head that way as would any self respecting Viper owner. Well the vette guy had only played with the n02 on the street.....a little different on the 1/8 mile....not much time in the higher gears. Earlier he had went only an 8.50 on motor and his best motor pass to date was an 8.30. He was having trouble activating the button attached to his shifter
frown.gif
and never got in a n02 pass without missing a gear. There was also a late model LS1 Camaro all motor that was very stout.....et streets no n02...going 7.30's. I ran the Camaro first, he went a 7.32 and I went a 7.37.......he was expecting a full tree and I was expecting a pro tree. We got a pro tree so his react was bad. I guess I had to much air out of the tires (12 psi cold) and did a rockin second gear burnout.....it hooked solid and slipped the clutch some. The next time I ran the vette and with no burnout it still hooked 100%, slipped the clutch again and had a 1.59 60' and 7.28 et. The vette missed a gear again. I was able to out mph the Camaro by 3 mph and I believe the 7.32 was his best of the night but its definitely quick.

What do you et street users think about this: I believe more air pressure and letting the car haze the tires or spin slightly will result in about the same et and be a lot easier on parts. I think I ended up at 18 psi last time and with a good burnout didn't hook solid but hazed the tires about 15 feet. My previous best was a 7.31

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Called out by 02\' Z06........

Very cool, Tony! Nice way to represent the Viper nation
smile.gif

FWIW, I always run 17-18 PSI (cold) in my ET streets, but my 60's are 1.70 rather than 1.5x. Then again, I just don't have the heart to really launch hard at the 'strip -- too much mechanical empathy, I suppose. I usually leave at 3500 RPM and slip the clutch a bit to get the car rolling without bogging. I'm sure in my DLM car will be a different story (launch at 2000, spin through 2nd
eek.gif
)

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are there really a lot of 1/8 mile tracks? I have never seen or heard of one until the Viper web site.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I run 18psi in mine. Just a haze of a burn out. Tires need to be close to track temperature. A Force burn out will put them at 170 degrees. Track temp on a hot day is usually no more than 130. Just a little wheel spin helps drive through the bog I get if the tires hook too much. Just a little slip is perfect. My sixties are in the mid 1.40s. Best was at Bowling Green 1.375 Better to slip the tires a little than the clutch every run.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,
Thanks; I should have clarified that I set the pressure before each run, typically right before my group is called.

Pauls,
You're running sub-1.4s in a viper??? If so, can you list mods and launch technique? The best Viper 60's I'd ever heard of were very high 1.4s, accomplished by sidestepping the clutch at 6K RPM...

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony,

Run as much air as you can without loosing traction for the best performance. I had been using about 14.5 psi (HOT) and since I have made a few suspension changes the car is hooking harder and requires a bit more pressure. We will raise the pressure next time at the track. I definately agree that if you can slightly haze the tires your parts will appreciate it and believe it or not your MPH will increase. There is a fine line though that separates "hazing and hooking" from downright wheelspin and/or bogging.

Ben,

Your cold pressure will increase significantly once the tires are heated. I suggest that you check them after each pass and set them as desired. Keep in mind of course, that the pressure will decrease somewhat if an hour or more of time passes between runs.

Good luck,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Are there really a lot of 1/8 mile tracks? I have never seen or heard of one until the Viper web site.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the southeast there are a lot of 1/8 mile tracks. Not to good in a Viper but in my other car the 1/8 is nice....142 mph where the 1/4 is about 177 mph. The LAST 1/8 mile is by far the most dangerous, especially at 3000 plus lbs.