Calling on Junkman - Foaming shampoo?

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, AJ, I've been using my foam gun for a while and love the results, but I'm trying to find the best soap to use in it. Adam's worked great, but it took a LOT of shampoo ... about 50/50 to get the foam nice and thick. I've tried Meguire's and Mother's from the auto parts store, but not happy with them. What do you recommend for really thick foam at a reasonable price?:confused:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ, I have a Gilmour Foamaster II Cleaning Gun Quart 95QGF4 and pretty high water pressure. You think I need to invest more money and get a better gun?

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that the gun you have would be fine but I have the Foamaster I series gun and they put out plenty of foam. Are you positive that you had your gun dialed into the correct setting for full foam?

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On this one, there is only ONE setting that supplies foam! Doing some research, I should have purchased the one that has the adjustments for 1-12 oz. per gallon. The price is the same, I just didn't dig deep enough before buying. I tore it apart last night to see if there were options that could be unearthed with a little modification. The dial itself has all the letters on it (up to E) for the variable ratios, but the corresponding holes are not drilled in the disk and it has a stop on it to only allow on/off for the foam. I'd like to either drill out the single hole it has to a larger size or modify the stop and drill an extra hole for MAXIMUM foam. Any idea what the oriface that sits on top of the venturi should be drilled out to for the maximum setting?

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that actually sounds like you either have a faulty gun or a knock off. Like you said, there are markings for A-E and thus, the dial should adjust to all those markings. I have not heard of a foam gun that has been modified to not allow for those adjustments.

I do not know what the hole diameters should be but I do have the email address of one of the Gilmore people I deal with. Contact and ask him that same question. His address is [email protected]. That's why I like the generation 1 foamaster. You can see the adjustment and how it works, plus it's constructed of brass. You gun's limitation explains exactly why it produces such lousy foam. Where did you get it?

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One factor that could be causing the poor foaming is your water. How is your water quality? Is it hard? You might want to invest in a couple filters. Bad water will do more than decrease your foam. You paint qaulity will drastically improve with a quality water system.

Also, I have not used the Gilmour I, but I do have the Gilmour II. The Gilmour II does not provide as much foam as the HydroFoamer (Adam's).

I put less than 2oz of Adam's Car Wash Shampoo in and it foams like crazy. I can do my whole truck with one fill.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only used two things in the foam gun. TheAdam's soap (which lathered up excellent for me), and the DP Extreme Foam Formula. That's what I was using in this video. Maybe it's your gun or the way you have it setup? Which foam gun do you have?

FWIW.... I use the DP Exteme foam formula. Works GREAT!!!

Good luck with your gun