Can I put small screws in deck in back of GTS? The flat area

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The flat area right behind the bulkhead and above the gas tank in front of the spare tire hole. I see it is composite under the carpet, and I can properly size the screws so they are not overly long, but was concern that the gas tank butts right up against the body. What does it look like under there? Can I screw into that shelf safely?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of out members fitted a camcorder mount, bang slap in the centre, took the chance of not hitting anything without even looking, he got away with it. Gives a great picture to !

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put sealer on your screws :laugh:

I believe there is 1" to 2" of clearance. To be on the safe side you could pull the carpet back and get access to the top of the tank. It's not hard, just four rivits to remove.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do what Tony said... I had to have the fuel pump replaced on my last GTS. If you pull the carpet back, you'll see a circle about 10" in diameter. Be careful drilling out the rivets, you don't want to hit the hoses underneath. You may have to tug on the circular disc after drilling out the rivets, because there is some kind of RTV sealant/gasket holding it tight.

Then, you'll be able to see exactly where you can screw into, and for how far. From what I remember, you don't have that much clearance at all. If you can make do with a small screw (1/4 to 1/2 inch), that should give you plenty of breathing space.