Can the Viper take this? SoCal 118 ( pics )

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by picflight, Sep 12, 2003.

1. picflight

picflight Enthusiast

Southern California Viper Drivers

Have you ever driven on 118 W towards Moorpark transitioning to 23 S? There is dip in the freeway, more on lane number 1. It is very soft and gives a slight bump in other cars including Corvette.

I was wondering if a Viper in the number one lane would scrape the nose or bottom if driven at 70+ MPH through this dip.

Anyone driven here?

Approach to 23 South
    [​IMG]

Dip in both lanes
    [​IMG]

Map of Area
    [​IMG]

2. GTS Dean

GTS Dean Viper Owner

Looks to me like a case of subgrade settlement under the concrete approach slab. If you [******] loud enough, CalTrans will probably level it up with some asphalt patch material. It will be OK for a few months, but will shell out again. Then, the concrete pavement industry will blame the asphalt for being inadequate, when the real problem is the subgrade or base under the concrete.

My advice to you is multiple choice: 1) stiffer springs, 2) more damping, 3) drive slower, or 4) find a different route.

3. snowmann

snowmann Enthusiast

Hit it diagonal...

4. picflight

picflight Enthusiast

Hitting it diagonal would be the best way to handle but to the unsuspecting driver it would be too late by the time you see it at 70MPH.

GTS Dean, I have noticed this dip for the past one year, it occurs just after the concrete bridge and it is definitely the subgrade.

5. Vic

Vic Enthusiast

I've driven through there some, but never in the Viper. Coming out of Simi Valley, heading for Oxnard.

6. Gerald

Gerald Enthusiast

lock your brakes up doing 70 and take the bump sideways, straighten her out and be on your merry way.. :laugh:

7. TedK

TedK Enthusiast

I have driven this many times at various speeds, 60, 70, 80 and never a scrape. Totally stock suspension. I wish I could say the same for my driveway.

Ted