Car For Sale!

OP
OP
R

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the ad down because I thought I had the car sold. Turns out the buyer was a stiff. ****** me around for a couple of days and decided not to buy it. So now I am back to running the ad again. Looks like I have to drop the price. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
R

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at the classifieds there are 18 cars for sale (RT10 & GTS) 2000-2002. That have all started their ads as early as March 2009. Some modded, some stock. It seems they vary in price from $32K to $45K. Like the other 18, we have all been trying to sell our cars for the past six months. Does it make sense for me to drop my price into that range, sit on the car for another 6 months with hopes of selling? I think we may all be delusional as to what the value of our cars are really worth.

Now my car may not be everyone's taste, I know that. And I know I will never get back the $30K I put into it. That money spent was for pure enjoyment while I owned the car. Given that I just reduced the prospect list by 50%. Add to that a crappy economy, you can deduct another 40% of the buyers. So where does that leave me.

If I trade it in I get the tax savings off the balance of the new car...There's some value there! Plus the idea of paying insurance on a car I just don't drive that much compared to my VOI9 Coupe.

So I may not place another Ad, and just go for the trade in and bite-the-bullet! Too bad, I would have preferred to see another member enjoy the car as much as I did.

Thanks for all your input on this post, it helped me put things into perspective.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at the classifieds there are 18 cars for sale (RT10 & GTS) 2000-2002. That have all started their ads as early as March 2009. Some modded, some stock. It seems they vary in price from $32K to $45K. Like the other 18, we have all been trying to sell our cars for the past six months. Does it make sense for me to drop my price into that range, sit on the car for another 6 months with hopes of selling? I think we may all be delusional as to what the value of our cars are really worth.

Now my car may not be everyone's taste, I know that. And I know I will never get back the $30K I put into it. That money spent was for pure enjoyment while I owned the car. Given that I just reduced the prospect list by 50%. Add to that a crappy economy, you can deduct another 40% of the buyers. So where does that leave me.

If I trade it in I get the tax savings off the balance of the new car...There's some value there! Plus the idea of paying insurance on a car I just don't drive that much compared to my VOI9 Coupe.

So I may not place another Ad, and just go for the trade in and bite-the-bullet! Too bad, I would have preferred to see another member enjoy the car as much as I did.

Thanks for all your input on this post, it helped me put things into perspective.

Unfortunately it is not the price that is the problem. NOBODY is buying cars at any price right now due to the uncertainty of the market. This is also why dealers are offering such low trade in values on the cars since they can't sell them either. I just wish I waited and was in the maket for one right now instead of paying TOP dollar for mine a few years ago. :dunno:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car is now listed for $41,000 on autotrader by a dealer. So I guess he traded it in. they will probably end up with 36-37 for it..

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are a lot of NEW cars being bought. Last summer we had 3 events and unlike the previous years there were a lot of Gen4 Vipers. There were as many Gen 3 Vipers as 08-09s. We saw only 1 Gen 1 RT10 at one of the events. We did see several Gen2s but smaller numbers as many Gen 2 owners purchase new Vipers.

There are many new Viper owners of used Vipers. Problem that we are having is that the market is being flooded by Vipers and every other car because there are many poeple without jobs now. I bought a Stealth R/T TT, an enclosed trailer and a NEW Dodge Ram the last 6 months.

As far as the comments stating that mods lower the value of your car ... that's not true. As far as mods decreasign the saleability of your car that is only true for collectors. Anyone reading the forums knows that exhaust is almost a necessary change if you actually intend to drive the car.

Other than a collector who would turn down a 10% better braking upgrade to their car??? Someone who wants to die? Someone who makes money from insurance claims? Many owners don't wish to spend thousands on a brake upgrade and another thousand on installation, but I've never heard of anyone that would say no to a slightly higher price because of the 10% increased safety. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the larger Gen 3 brakes stop in LESS than 100' while the Gen 2s stop in 110' (PS1s) and the Gen 1s need 121' to stop from 60mph? I think those are the specs I read. PS2 and lightweight ACR (14")equivalent brakes should stop even shorter.

There are also quite a few buyers like me that would never buy a stock Viper. HRSSSSS just bought a Paxton Yellow GTS to go with HSSSSSS yellow Roe GTS. Vipers are being sold and bought. Last winter B. King bought a Gen 1 to park beside his Z06. Clint Shearer just bought a Paxton copperhead. There are many more including a lot of new Vipers. Finn just bought 2 '09s last spring.

Things may be worse in the US, but then shouldn't the warranty issue be fixed to promote sales on both sides of the border? Randy bought an SSG from an Ohio dealer instead of a ZR1. He bought it because of the color. Fred would have gone state side (except for the warranty issue) because they only had Red in Canada. Seems dumb to me. Guess the US dealers don't want the US guys buying all of their Vipers in cda because they could be purchased here for 83K with all options? Add the 8-18% dollar value difference you could save $30K? Instead of being a 'bad thing' wouldn't it sell more cars? 30% cheaper would attract many new Viper owners? Used Viper prices in Canada are higher than US.

Ted

V

Venomiss

Someone will want this car and be very happy when they get it.
Good luck with the consignment.

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the main thing hurting your sale of this car is the uniqueness of it. And I don't mean that in a bad way. There is a small group of potential buyers out there for vipers and and even smaller one for a car like yours. To someone, it is perfect. You just have to find that person, which is the hard part. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala