car lift for my garage?

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two 70,000lb. capacity lifts I bought from KENNAN in Calgary. He took off the brand name-sneaky devil.:D
My ceiling is at exactly 10 ft. inside. I can get a new Charger(56 in.) and a Road Runner(54 in.) over and under with about 2 in. to spare on each one. The Viper is not quite 48 IN. so you could easily fit two vipers in 9 1/2 ft.
The lifts all come with manual locks on each post. NEVER leave them up with the cable holding them.:nono: It is dangerous, especially if you are going to work under it, or store a $130,000.00 car under it.
I store a 3800 lb. car on top for up to 6 mos. and never have had the base move yet. Mine also came with 4 twin caster dollies so you can move them around without dismantling them.
I had to add a section to my door track and raise the door also. Since I have individual doors I had to put the new style opener that mounts on your spring shaft...similar to the industrial openers. It is very compact but expensive.
Here is a pic:

Attachments

• Viper1 004.jpg
    Viper1 004.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 107

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Getting ready to get quotes on my garage. My current garage is 8ft. and wanted the addition to match, but I think a lift is the way to go with my car habit. So going to get prices on 10 & 12 foot ceilings. Then I'll pick out my lift.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sapphire Bob, thanks for the reply, I am only passing along the experience that I know about lifts, and I agree that it is best to have someone else do the actual installation, sit there with a beer in a lawn chair and like a sponge and just absorb from the workers, it also requires at least three guys and what if someone drops something on their toe or have to have medical attention....I think it is best to have a skilled person to do it ! Once you have a lift, you can't do without one...I also feel that a good purchase are the longer made from aluminum ramps instead of the ones that come with the lift packages, the originals are very heavy and awkward to hook and unhook, and can scratch the paint or wipe out a big toe....again, just my $.02

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the ramps that came with the lift work better. My driveway is a a slight incline to the garage so the standard ramps work great!!
Sapphire Bob, thanks for the reply, I am only passing along the experience that I know about lifts, and I agree that it is best to have someone else do the actual installation, sit there with a beer in a lawn chair and like a sponge and just absorb from the workers, it also requires at least three guys and what if someone drops something on their toe or have to have medical attention....I think it is best to have a skilled person to do it ! Once you have a lift, you can't do without one...I also feel that a good purchase are the longer made from aluminum ramps instead of the ones that come with the lift packages, the originals are very heavy and awkward to hook and unhook, and can scratch the paint or wipe out a big toe....again, just my $.02

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the guys that have the caster kits. Can you move the lift with the cars on it? or are the casters for moving the lift only?

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks but doesn't look like can do it with two cars on it. Was looking to be able to push the whole setup over if I wanted more room in my garage on one side. I'm trying to design a garage additon for a lift & just plan extra space.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Two cars on a lift?

What that video dosen't show is how bad it ***** when the lift wheels hit an expansion joint in the floor. The floor in the video is like glass and in that case it would roll very nice but little bits of "stuff" on the floor and expansion joints can make it a little more difficult.

Also, the lifts roll in kind of an arc patteren so you need to push one end, then the other end. It would be difficult to get it precisely into a tight spot.

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Two cars on a lift?

What that video doesn't show is how bad it ***** when the lift wheels hit an expansion joint in the floor. The floor in the video is like glass and in that case it would roll very nice but little bits of "stuff" on the floor and expansion joints can make it a little more difficult.

Also, the lifts roll in kind of an arc patteren so you need to push one end, then the other end. It would be difficult to get it precisely into a tight spot.

Sorry I'm a Idiot, I knew what I meant but typed it completely wrong. Have spent way too much time on this today and my brain is fried. What I meant is really how you put it. It can't be push front to back very well. I could get the other car in place with wheel dollies then try to move the lift over it. But per what your saying that is not going to happen. I'm trying to design a truss that is open in in the center so I don't have to go so high. I have a existing garage I want to add too, but it's only a 8'-0" plate height so trying to keep the new one down so it doesn't look so stupid. But I have no idea what i want anymore. If I didn't like cars this would be so much easier.:D

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would it be possible to incorporate a shed roof design into your addition to get the height you need and still maintain the design integrity?

How about rafters instead of a truss?

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would it be possible to incorporate a shed roof design into your addition to get the height you need and still maintain the design integrity?

How about rafters instead of a truss?

When I get a few options going I may post them up to get some feedback on it. (In a new post)