Car Wraps?

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first post so be easy....with that said I have just purchased a 1996 RT-10 and I am considering putting a wrap on it. My question is about taking the wrap off and how it effects the paint job? Does the wrap come off clean? I realize it can effect the wear of the paint as some of it would obviously be covered and therefore protected from sun damage but just looking for an overall impression. Thanks.

Craig,

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have seen on other vehicles I have dealt with, there is some paint and wear damage but I am perplexed as to why you'd even consider this on a cool car but, hey, to each their own...Welcome aboard!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I am doing is saving slowly for a new paint job someday (my paint is great but I get chips from rocks behind the wheels and someday it will eventually get to me...). Until then I just drive the car and I don't worry about a chip here and there.

If your paint is near perfect just have someone put a clear bra on the front and also have them cover the side sills, behind the tires, and the inner lip in the wheel wells. I did this on my first Viper and it worked great. I did not do it on my 2003 as it had more road rash behind the wheels than my Gen 1. Cost about $1K.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have seen on other vehicles I have dealt with, there is some paint and wear damage but I am perplexed as to why you'd even consider this on a cool car but, hey, to each their own...Welcome aboard!

Because if it's done professionally you can do some amazing graphical things like decals and matte colors that can not be done with paint at a fraction of the cost.
Good wrap jobs are almost indistinguishable from paint and wouldn't damage the clearcoat to any extent that a good buffer couldn't take out.
They are very cool, I have seen some amazing jobs.
To wit:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-finish-wrap-___-detailing-dynamics-___.html

OP
OP
N

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still up in the air about the whole wrap thing. I was playing with the idea of wrapping the car to match the Army's NASCAR allowing me to have the Army fund car shows etc when I get to Miami. In my head it is a perfect excuse to get to drive and show off my Viper but in reality not positive I want to drive around an Army wrapped car all the time. I am a Recruiter for the Army and honestly love what I do.

Craig,

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We've wrapped a few of our racecars and they work, but I'd rather have good paint on my car anyday!

Don't forget, it's going to be about 1/2 the price of a paint job. They're not exactly cheap. Like stated above, they are great for someone looking to advertise or looking to change the look for a short period of time. It's not something I would have on my car for an extended period of time if I wasn't advertising.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I install clear bras for a living and used to install vinyl... so I am familiar with both. I can tell you that you can get some damage to the paint after vinyl is removed. I had the center of my Jeep SRT-8 done with flat black vinyl. After 1 year of it being on I removed it because it simply made the cabin very hot. When I pulled the vinyl the clear coat was damaged. Some how the adhesive had a reaction with the claer coat and turned it a yellowish color. It also made it very dull in some spots. I was shocked to say the least. I WOULD NOT recommend wrapping it in vinyl if there is even the slightest possiblity of this happening. It is a Viper after all.

By the way this was 3M vinyl and not cheap.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats odd. I had 3M black stripes on my red GTS for four years and when I sold the car I removed them.
Some adhesive stuck which I took off with Goo remover.
The clear coat was perfectly fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets