Caravan to Cali from VOI

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on leaving VOI on the Monday and driving back to the San Franciso bay area by the following Sunday. Anyone else going that way (Nor or So Cal) want to caravan ?

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Lemme know when you get close to Amarillo, if you are coming this way.

Will meet you at the Big Texan....

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony

There are 2 of us driving back to San Diego from VOI. WE are also planning to leave on Monday morning and get home by Saturday I think. Really haven't finalized a route yet, but was thinking 1st night out of Charlotte, stopping in Nashville? Maybe there are others going to points west that we can caravan with?

Ron

OP
OP
B

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ron,
Like you I havent really thought of a route yet. Let me talk with the wife as she is chief navigator and see what her thaoughts are

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you guys want to travel most of the way together...

I-40 to I-17 at Flagstaff to I-10 at PHX then west to HWY 85 south to I-8 west to San Diego.

For San Jose, stay on I-40 to I-5.....

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, that's not a bad route. Actually went that way last summer. Route 66 is cool and we would be going through Amarillo, correct?

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Correct - right through Amarillo ... along with Little Rock, OKC, ABQ and .... GALLUP, NM, and you can "Stand on the Corner in Winslow, AZ."!!!

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George we will have to see how this plays out. If we come that route maybe we can meet up for dinner.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There is a group driving back to PHX from VOI.

They plan to stop in Amarillo on the Wednesday after VOI.

If you guys decide to come home this way, I'll get it coordinated.

Rich Link

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
As George said, we will leave Charlotte on Monday, Oct 1st, and spend that night in Nashville (we will drop our brides at the airport Tue morning). Right now it looks like just Barry and I, although we have a Canadian couple that is driving out with us, and may return with us as well. We will be staying at the La Quinta Inn & Suites Nashville Airport, where we also stay on the trip to Charlotte (our significant others are flying into/out of Nashville). After dropping off the women, we will probably drive to Ft Smith, Ark for the night (also staying there on the way out), and on Wednesday drive to Amarillo, meeting George at the Big Texan. Thursday we will complete our drive to Phoenix. Out of Nashville, it's I40 all the way to Flagstaff, AZ. It's a short day driving from Charlotte to Nashville, so looking at maybe trying to take in some of the 'Tail of the Dragon' on the way.

Rich

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich

I will check with our other party and see how they feel about it, but sounds good to me right up until Amarillo or after. You do realize it is 750 miles Amarillo to Phoenix :omg:

We were actually planning on making it a 6 day cruise, catching a couple of route 66 museums and stopping in Flagstaff on Friday and driving through Phoenix and to San Diego on Saturday October 6th. My Wife is cruising with Me and the other Guy is driving solo.

BTW We met you both on the Sedona Run

Ron

Rich Link

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AZ itinerary is set - our main group will leave Phoenix Sun, Sep 23 and overnight in Tucumcari, NM; Mon, Sep 24 we will drive to Ft Smith, AR; Tue, Sep 25 we proceed to Nashville, where we will pick up a few of the ladies at the airport, attending the Grand Ole Opry that night. Wed, Sep 26 we will drive to Charlotte via the Cherohala Skyway. After VOI, we will be leaving Charlotte on Mon, Oct 1st, proceeding back to Nashville via the 'Tail of the Dragon.' Tue night, Oct 2 will find us back in Ft Smith, AR, and Wed, Oct 3 we will drive to Amarillo to meet George and his group at the Big Texan Restuarant. We are staying at the Big Texan Inn (crawling distance) - I stayed here on 2 previous drives to VOIs, not fancy, but convienent. It is a bit of a drive the next day to Phoenix, but both Barry and I have done it many times, and if memory serves, it comes just under 10 hrs. Ron, we'd love to have you (and any others going our way) join us!

Looking forward to it!

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we are leaving Charlotte Monday but may be heading east :omg: to Morehead City and the beach 1st. I lived there for a couple years as a kid and figured this might be an opportunity to go back, plus our other party wants to see the Atlantic ocean. So, on our return trip, we will truly be driving coast to coast.

Gonna miss cruisin with you Guys, but right now, that's the way it looks. I'll track you down at VOI and let you know for sure.

Ron

Rich Link

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll miss you on the cruise Ron, sounds like you have a good plan in place!
See you at VOI.

OP
OP
B

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich and HyperViper
We are leaving Charlotte on Monday as well and must be back in San Jose by the next Sunday. No spcifics planned yet other than Nashville Monday night

OP
OP
B

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is the draft plan, will this work? What should I change?
Mon - Nashville
Tues - Little Rock
Wed - Oklahoma City
Thur - Amarillo
Frid - Gallup
Sat - Las Vegas
Sun - San Jose (Home)

Rich Link

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are leaving Monday and driving to Nashville, taking in the 'Tail' on the way
Tuesday - Fort Smith, AR
Wednesday - Amarillo - hopefully getting together with other club members @ Big Texan
Thursday - Phoenix