Carbon decklid for my Coupe rear project.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My new coupe rear just shipped out from Steve and he was nice enough to shoot me a couple pics of the finished carbon decklid for the vert to coupe rear conversion.

I run his carbon 08 hood and left the center section exposed using a tinted clear. I'm going to continue that exposed center section onto the rear decklid.

I wonder if I could leave a section exposed in the rear fascia similar to the Gen V rear.

Here's a shot or two before it shipped.

You must be registered for see images attach

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks AWESOME! I ordered STeve's hood for my '08 as well. Do you have pics you could post? I would love to see what it looks like painted with the center exposed as thats what I plan to do with mine. :)

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car is going to be killer! This is going to be the most amazing viper out there!

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Getting closer to keeping up with a Gen IV....... :)

Looks good!

Hitting the dyno at LMR next week to let Joe dial it in so I can keep up with you.

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses, I'm looking forward to getting started on this.

Andy

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know the weight savings and if the CF rear deck lid would support the ACR's wing.

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know the weight savings and if the CF rear deck lid would support the ACR's wing.

I would think over time 1000lbs of down force would tough on it. That's an uneducated guess at best. I drive the car allot but have built it as a street car primarily. I am planning on tracking it more in the near so we'll see.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This decklid will easily support an ACR wing. It has more inner structure than a coupe decklid, it has a structure built in that is more like the convert inner which is structurally more sound than the coupe structure as the coupe has very few bonding points in comparison. Carbon fiber is also a much stronger material than SMC or sheet molded composite that the coupe decklids are constructed of as there is no continuous fiber in that structure at all.

We are starting our release of our Prepreg complete carbon coupe bodywork this week as well, basically a whole car in lightweight carbon fiber, fenders 1.5 lbs each, front bumper 2 lbs, rear bumper 2 lbs, rear quarters 1.5 lbs, exhaust side covers 1.85 lbs each, compete roof structure 4-5 lbs.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are starting our release of our Prepreg complete carbon coupe bodywork this week as well, basically a whole car in lightweight carbon fiber, fenders 1.5 lbs each, front bumper 2 lbs, rear bumper 2 lbs, rear quarters 1.5 lbs, exhaust side covers 1.85 lbs each, compete roof structure 4-5 lbs.

Thats pretty sweet. :) I cant imagine how much quicker the car will be/feel with all those parts.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good!
I thought about a carbon hood and trunk. The problem I run into is that I would want to leave the carbon exposed (like the current stripes on the car), but then I'm left with not being able to carry the whole thing through the front and rear bumpers.
Cost aside, a car (silver in my case) with the bumpers, hood and trunk painted silver, but the carbon fiber left unpainted to act as stripes would look killer. Just might not make sense to spend that much money to make the bumpers.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bumpers can be done, either super lightweight prepreg or wet layup vacuum bagged, I have molds for the bumpers, both front and rear...

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good!
I thought about a carbon hood and trunk. The problem I run into is that I would want to leave the carbon exposed (like the current stripes on the car), but then I'm left with not being able to carry the whole thing through the front and rear bumpers.
Cost aside, a car (silver in my case) with the bumpers, hood and trunk painted silver, but the carbon fiber left unpainted to act as stripes would look killer. Just might not make sense to spend that much money to make the bumpers.

That would look pretty sweet.

M_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve....Now I have to go all the way with the CF!!

do you have anything for the coupes?

the roof plus decklid?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
interesting. timing on the prepreg pieces?

Can start shipping them immediately, check the supplier section for list, all the parts are available should save tons of weight overall. I will be posting pics in a few hours along with weight savings per piece. Also since these are prepreg I can take panels that get damaged in a race situation and stick them back in the mold and with the addition of some heat, resin, carbon fiber and a little pixie dust we can fix the parts

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Veryyyyyy cool
"Also since these are prepreg I can take panels that get damaged in a race situation and stick them back in the mold and with the addition of some heat, resin, carbon fiber and a little pixie dust we can fix the parts "

I cant wait to see some of the cars. Steve any issue with UV on the exposed carbon fiber? Do you have UV protectant in your clear?