Carcoon?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have recently purchased and am awaiting delivery of a 2001 RT/10. I will be housing it in my garage and will also store it for the winter in my garage (I live in Colroado). During my recently Viper buying research, I found a Viper in the VCA classifieds that was being housed in a carcoon, That classified disappeared shortly after that. I have contacted the website and have received add'l information, but the 2 threads on this website dealing with the carcoon are 5+ years old and contain almost no info on them. Does anyone out there currently use or have used a carcoon?

Carcoon USA - Car, Truck, Motorcycle, RV Airflow Protection Bubble

Attachments

• carcoon.jpg
    carcoon.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 31

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase!

Question for you. Why are you considering a carcoon? Will you be storing it in a dusty/dirty environment or one with extream moisture?

To my understanding, they are used while trying to protect the car in extream situations. For example, some museums use it for cars that are 1 of 1 and they cannot be replaced or repaired. More than anything, when those cars are stored in their large warehouses (150+ cars) there is alot of crap in the air due to the buildings not being sealed. For the regular owner of a Viper, the garage with a good car cover and something underneath the car (like CARpet:lmao:, foam panels, rubber flooring) anything to keep the moisture from going up from the cement, that is all that is needed.

My two cents.:rolleyes:

Robert

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garage is very clean, but things left in there for a while definitely get dusty. I live in the foothills of Denver, Colorado and the wind blows a lot. I have to open the garage doors for other automobiles and the snow thrower during the winter. The garage is not climate controlled, so on warm days, it's warm and on cold days, it's cold. I was figuring that the carcoon would protect the Viper from the dust and other temperature related issues. I'm definitely not an expert...I'm not positive that I need the carcoon. I was looking for some insight from any current owners, but any insight is absolutely welcome.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm. I would say you should be OK without the bubble. To my understanding, the bubbles are not climate controlled, so no help there.

My reccomendation, get a good California Car Cover Cal Car Cover – Custom Fit Car Covers, Motorcycle Covers, Cleaning Products, Garage Accessories, Collectibles and More that seals against moisture and dust, put something on the floor to seal it, and you should be good. Many of my dads collector cars were stored in a unheated garage in their early years as well, snow blower coming in and out, etc. Should be no issue. Make sure the vehicle is winterised properly, and should be good to go come spring.

Just my .02 cents. Hope it helps.

Robert

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use a car capsule (same thing as a carcoon) forced air over car in bubble - I love it - every winter I put my Prowler in it with the car cover on - car is spotless when it comes out in the spring - no bugs, no dust, no odor, no dents from dropping tools, no scrapes from kids bikes, no dings from the wife opening another car door into it etc.

Go for it

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do currently have a parking pad (7'6" x 20', made from flexible PVC, from Sam's Club) on which the Viper will be stored...and a car cover was my original thought. During my car cover research, there were all kinds/types/manufacturers and the threads on this sight don't exactly narrow that down :confused:. My thought was that since this is my first Viper and it is in mint condition (no scratches, scrapes, dents, nothing) that I didn't want to screw that up by accidentally bumping it with anything...and I would probably have to get a divorce if my wife accidentally did something to it :D. I was thinking that the carcoon would be overkill on the safe side. One of the issues with the carcoon is that since there isn't much more clean driving time left in Colorado, that I will probably be going out the the garage daily/hourly to sit in it and relax...think...sleep...and taking down and up the carcoon would be a pain! :dunno:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are 100% correct. Take up and down are a PITA!

As for covers, there best covers you can buy are the Cal Car Covers. We have used them for everything from muscle cars, to trucks, to the Viper. They have everything from the cheap ones to expensive ones. Even better, they can custom build it to whatever you need. They made mine for me because of my competition wing. Although they oopsied the 1st time, they had great customer service, and looked after me from start to finish. I believe there are also a few car cover suppliers on here (jump in if you are here!).

As far as the mat goes, that is the type I was reffering to (yours probably has a coin type of imprint on it). If you are worried about bumpage, you can always invent the force field (think Star Trek) and then you will not have to worry, plus you can then afford HUNDREDS of Vipers and a dedicated garage. Seriously though, regardless of how it is stored, bumpage is always a possibility. You just have be a bit more cautious when working around it.

Good luck, and be sure to post pics when you get them!

Robert

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its only a few minutes to put back up - but I have other cars I use in the winter - so no big issue going in and out of the bubble - Glad I can help you narrow down what you want.