cats or no cats?

seanx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 04 with a paxton, 12k miles, rebuilt novi2000(passing oil). the exhaust is stock, should i get an exhaust system and keep or remove cats?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not use the stock cats with a Paxton. If you can get by without them, do it. Better flow, louder and more HP.

Or get some high flows if you must.

OP
OP
S

seanx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks very much im losing them, will i need those wired devices to prevent check engine light?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ditch the cats. spark plug non foulers do a good job of keeping the CEL from coming back

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not necessarily a good idea. We have installed well over 200 Paxtons, and you need to chat with Mark Jorgensen prior to removing the cats. There are some distinct disadvantages to removing them and I am sure Mark would be happy to advise you.

He can be reached at 1-800-889-1893
[email protected]

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider keeping the cats and going to a Corsa exhaust that eliminates the cross over behind your seats.

Will be plenty loud, flow better and not have too much drone.

Catless cars stink.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not a fan of catless for several SEARCHABLE reasons in 25+ threads just like this one. Some reasons:

Flames
Backfire
~Obnoxious-ratty sidepipes loud
Stinky hair and clothes
N/A loss of torque
8.0+ L of poisoned air / 2 RPM.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a fan of catless for several SEARCHABLE reasons in 25+ threads just like this one. Some reasons:

Flames
Backfire
~Obnoxious-ratty sidepipes loud
Stinky hair and clothes
N/A loss of torque
8.0+ L of poisoned air / 2 RPM.

A couple of those are my reasons FOR removing the cats....;)

2010-05-07_SCCA_37288.jpg

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Removing the cats is against the law and bad for the environment. For race use there are some advantages. You will need a new computer calibration as this will change the fuel requirements of the engine.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of those are my reasons FOR removing the cats....;)

2010-05-07_SCCA_37288.jpg

:rolaugh: Thats a great pic :headbang:

My old Cobra used to do that, it would scare the hell out of other car drivers when I was down shifting on the Freeways, especially at night :D 400bhp V8 Straight through side exit exhaust and very little side absorption baffles Best sound ever :2tu:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, agree with Jon, there are many threads on this same subject.

But, since asked again, the question then becomes are there any advantages to catless vs. a good hi-flow cat like Roe, Random Tech or Belanger.

This answer is colored highly by how you plan to use the car - track only vs. street track. If using on the street, not sure I understand the need to go catless...just my personal opinion for the many reasons outlined above.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy answer: Random Tech high flow cats and Corsa exhaust. Legal, loud enough, great airflow, and no need to bypass the sensor issue. If you want even better flow, get some headers. Call JonB at Parts Rack. He can set you up and give you the specifics if you have any questions.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy answer: Random Tech high flow cats and Corsa exhaust. Legal, loud enough, great airflow, and no need to bypass the sensor issue. If you want even better flow, get some headers. Call JonB at Parts Rack. He can set you up and give you the specifics if you have any questions.

Just finished this mod and no longer need my leaf blower:rolaugh:.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just finished this mod and no longer need my leaf blower:rolaugh:.

I absolutley LOVE that real-world answer! Visible Hi-Flow results.

The end result is immediately noticable via the "Pants Leg Dyno" which flaps your pants legs like a flag in a gale. And if you blip the throttle as you come down your driveway, or a country/neighborhood lane, You'll clear the leaves in a spriral-curling wave! (in my case Pine Needles/Cones)

the SHF metal Honeycombs will flow almost as much CFM as open pipe.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of great flowing cats out there with metal substrates. Search around for what you want by looking at the cells per square inch. 300 - 100 count would be great, 100 being more free flowing, may even smell catless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth