Changing out exhuaust

danviper1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would like some advice on changing out stock Gen 3 05 SRT 10 exhaust for high flow cats with corsa exhuast. I don't have the "full works garage", hence have a car jack, basic tools. I see that the side panels have to come off which looks fun, especially with the two bolts that are up toward the front in the vent area behind the front tire. For those of you who have done this yourself, how much of a bear is this??
Once removed, how much of a pain is it to remove the stock exhaust?
John B told me that with the cats/corsa exhaust you just remove o2 sensors and plug into new cats, bolt on everything else, and put back on side panel? IS this right.
I am blessed with patience so this may be a good thing with this type of project.
Appreciate your advice

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight forward job, but going to be a bit more difficult if you dont have access to a lift. I switched out my 03 system for an O8. It took about 3 hrs to complete and the most difficult part was positioning the exhaust tips in the sill openings. You place them a bit short, as the pipe expands when in opereation and pushes the tips toward the rear of the opening. You must compensate for this or you will burn your sill openings with hot exhaust gases. The two bolts in the vent area are negotiable if you use a ratcheting box end wrench. Two men to get the sill on and off are better than one here. (you will have to put it on and take it off several times when adjusting the tips) The stock cat will comes off easily but remove the O2 sensor first and yes it just screw into your new highflow cat. The entire new system you have is direct bolt on. I am not sure if your system has the welded on nibs on the highflow cats that keep your exhaust from rotating once mated together. If not, once you are happy with the systems position you will need to get them tacked with welder. John would be able to answer this for you, or a quick search will assist. Cheers

F

FrgMstr

This tip will save you a LOT of time and effort.

You must be registered for see images

10mm deep socket...

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done it off my back in my garage - twice. I may do it again later when I move into a garage big enough. The front sill screw that is difficult to get at doesn't have to be removed - just loosened because it's slotted. You should be in fairly good condition to work off your back. Just be very careful with the panels when handling/placing them so that you don't scratch or break it! When re-assembling, leave minimal screws and semi-tight so that you can ajust the tips. Orient the tips towards the front of the car in the exhaust tip hole to anticipate rearward growth when the exhaust heats up. Just notice the tip position when the car is cold before driving off and then when it's hot just after you park it and see what I mean.

The other hard part (not tricky but just hard) is getting the crossover out. Get the car up as high as you safely can. The rear belly pan has to come out but just loosen the rear half of the screws, taking some out of the front belly pan. You may need some liquid wrench to get exhaust pipes loosened. You got patience? Good, you'll need it - figure several hours.

jsarker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a new exhaust recently on my 2005 Viper; I went with the Mopar race exhaust which removes the cats. There aren't any real tricks to it other than being patient, making sure everything is out of the way, and hoping that the crossover pipe is not rusted on too badly. Soak everything with Liquid Wrench (or equivalent), and make sure it's all loose.

Unfortunately, for me it was a gigantic PITA to get the slip fit pieces apart, especially at the crossover. I ended up being able to somehow pry each piece apart, but had to literally hammer the crap out of the driver side crossover piece to get it off. Luckily it all ended up in the garbage anyway. :)

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper