cheap wheels/tire options for storage?

Gibz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. I am considering storing my Gen II GTS over winter in a poorly heated location where the tires may get colder than recommended which could deteriorate the integrity of the rubber.

So one option is to store the tires inside where they will stay warm and put the car on some cheap wheels and tires just to allow me to move it around a little as needed through the cold months.

I'm sure you all know viper tires are not cheap, nor are rims... I am wondering if I could just get a set of 6x4.5 aka 6x114.3 rims, ~18" to fit over brakes with some used tires and throw them on there. might make it easier to work on anyhow (battery access, etc.)

Has anyone tried this / any pointers or concerns you see? any ideas what vehicles have wheels and tires that might work? Dakotas of this era had the same bolt pattern but I think only up to 17 inch rims.

thanks

OP
OP
Gibz

Gibz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you, and normally I would not be concerned, but below is the guidance for cold weather use and storage of the extremecontact tires from continental. see the statements including even "or using to support" = car sitting on them below 20 can damage the compound.

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long have the tires been on the car? Is the car new to you? Can you wait to move it until the temperature moderates enough to move it per the Continental recommendations? I would assume you do get some periods between cold fronts that would allow safe movement.

Since you are acutely worried about damaging them, keep some records showing your concern (this thread qualifies) and specific efforts undertaken to minimize the factors that Conti warns about.

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you, and normally I would not be concerned, but below is the guidance for cold weather use and storage of the extremecontact tires from continental. see the statements including even "or using to support" = car sitting on them below 20 can damage the compound.

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."
they'll be ok. Just dont go ice racing on them.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
temperature is not the enemy of rubber. It's UV rays. As long as they're not exposed to direct sunlight they should last a long time. The spec regarding returning cold tires to higher temps applies to driving them cold. Unless you're planning on driving them in 20 deg weather you should be fine. Like others have said just pump them to higher pressures to avoid sitting on flexed sidewalls for storage.

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I'd follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Also, a 2016 Nisson Pathfinder has the same bolt pattern and came with 18's. Maybe they would clear the brakes and the center hole would be large enough.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
temperature is not the enemy of rubber. It's UV rays.
Casing rubber formulation is different than tread rubber. If Conti is so specific about potential cold temperature problems on a hot weather extreme performance tire, I'd take them at their word. I think the Kumho Gen 5 ACR tires carry similar warnings.

OP
OP
Gibz

Gibz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments- and the hint on the pathfinder- ill keep an eye out for those. l like the dolly design but would be good to be able to move it in/out of my garage if need be.

For more background to those saying it does not matter, I found another source of information on cold storage of tires: https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-ga...ck-competition-dot-tires-in-cold-temperatures.

My garage was below freezing last night. In the meantime my plan is to take good care of the tires (<1 year old). The car is stored in the air on a 2 post lift for now but I plan to pull the wheels and bring them inside until this nasty cold snap breaks.

I know some lead design engineers from Michelin. I have reached out to them to get a true expert answer, even though its not the brand tire I have as they were not available at the time they have the cup 2s which are very similar. I can say after working with Michelin engineers in the past that they are are pretty amazing folks. I'll definitely let you all know if I hear anything back from them regarding cold storage guidance, that should truly settle the debate.

Perhaps the best thing will be to find dented and beat wheels with aged out rubber off a wrecked viper as they are basically no good for any other use than this.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are not driving the car and want to bring tires in the house, why not simply put it on jack stands for the winter? It would be a lot easier than hunting down wheels and tires for the sole purpose of storage.

diamond head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe use tire warmers

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is stored in the air on a 2 post lift for now but I plan to pull the wheels and bring them inside until this nasty cold snap breaks.
If you have rubber bushings in your A-arms, they don't like it if you put your car on a lift for a long time.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am selling a set of Gen 5 five spokes cheap. They are new too if you want a second set of rims. 10.5" fronts/19X13" rears, still in boxes. PM me if interested.

OP
OP
Gibz

Gibz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have rubber bushings in your A-arms, they don't like it if you put your car on a lift for a long time.
thanks, hoping to bring it down soon. ive been considering poly bushings all around but havent made the jump yet.

daytonaman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You could also just heat your garage slightly. I live about 1.5 hrs east of you; same cold. I had a 240V line installed in my garage and bought a ceiling mounted electric heater and have it set to 50F. Costs me about $5/mo extra in electricity Nov-Mar. Heater and electrical work was about $500 all in. Plus, other side benefits to having a semi-heated garage in the winter - workbench space, garage refridgerator, my other cars, etc.

OP
OP
Gibz

Gibz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got feedback from my engineering acquaintance in the tire industry. here is a summary:

priority is store away for UV / sunlight.
store away from heat sources / close to heat.

when cold,
don't stack tires on top of each other
don't put "any stress" on tires. this is the one that is not specific enough to make me happy but that's the guidance.
don't inflate when cold (leaving inflated is ok, but 0-> pressure is bad, an example of stress)

each tire is different, but driving below 40f is not allowed.

so, for this year ill just live with it, its not going to destroy them, but i would like to be able to move the car around when it is cold out and not worry about stressing the tires, so I'm kind of back to where I started.

Agree heating the garage is of course best. In fact I just installed a hydronic heater running off my outdoor wood boiler, but no insulation and open rafters so the heat just disappears. before next winter I will insulate.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It peeves me that such tires are DOT approved. Vipers are sold to anyone that has a driver's license which includes people that will treat them like ordinary cars.

OP
OP
Gibz

Gibz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It peeves me that such tires are DOT approved. Vipers are sold to anyone that has a driver's license which includes people that will treat them like ordinary cars.
I give them credit. they are providing tires to us with maximum traction so we don't end up in the ditch. The "all season" type of tire compound that can handle low ambient temperatures is full of compromise that would not meet our needs. Its limited by chemistry.

But I am pretty surprised its not more common knowledge that freezing temps will reduce longevity, tire manufacturers don't seem to be good at sharing this information. then again if our tires get ruined and crack they get more money when we replace them.

I looked up the C8 Corvette tire restrictions as it is the newest tire in production that is comparable to ours. This is their statement "The Pilot Sport 4S ZP excels in warm, dry and wet conditions, and like all Max Performance Summer tires, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

So even a new 'vette should not even be stored near freezing temperatures! that surprised me.

Jim Myke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading there requirements I would waste my time or money on them, I have michelin pilots on my RT/10 with no such requirements and I have nitto invo's on my scatpack charger also without any storage requirements, but both have the same don't drive at temperature under 40 without warming up the tires, cold tires effect handling and I can vouch for that. Just for fun during the first snow I wanted to see how the summer invo tires worked in the snow, only half the car made it out of the garage before getting stuck on 1/4 inch of snow, question answered.

RAS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe that early Vipers came with mini spares. You might be able to find 4 of them at little to no cost.

OP
OP
Gibz

Gibz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading there requirements I would waste my time or money on them, I have michelin pilots on my RT/10 with no such requirements and I have nitto invo's on my scatpack charger also without any storage requirements, but both have the same don't drive at temperature under 40 without warming up the tires, cold tires effect handling and I can vouch for that. Just for fun during the first snow I wanted to see how the summer invo tires worked in the snow, only half the car made it out of the garage before getting stuck on 1/4 inch of snow, question answered.
well, the requirements i listed above are for michelin pilots actually, so you are in the same boat as us continental folks, i looked up specs on both types. I remember doug demuro doing some snow drifting in his viper, does sound like fun!

OP
OP
Gibz

Gibz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that early Vipers came with mini spares. You might be able to find 4 of them at little to no cost.
now theres an awesome idea i did not think about at all. that is perfect RAS. I will start looking!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you know the hubs are off of Dakota truck. Any wheel that fits the Dakota would fit..... Personally I think it's overkill

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of 99-02 wheels I will sell for $700. No center caps. Rash on wheels, peeling clear coat, but straight and cheap. Good set to powder coat.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20240121_165446.jpg
    thumbnail_20240121_165446.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala