Closed Loop Operations....

D

DAMN YANKEE

"Closed Loop" operations in stock GEN2 Viper, just exactly what does that mean?

About 85 percent of all the driving will ever do in our vipers will be in closed loop, yet most Viper owners don't know it means. I thought I would take a second to get a very simple description on closed loop out there as its a great place to begin.

For many, I think they believe this subject is not approachable because it is too complicated or they don't have the skills to better understand their own cars. I felt that way until I supercharge my Viper and wanted to carry on the tradition of doing all the work myself even up to tuning the car. So let's get this out on the table right now, my supercharge Viper runs infinitely better than my stock Viper ever did. It's smoother, more responsive, much faster, more stable at all speeds and, most importantly, I know why. I am also an advocate of using the best Viper tech's I can find. From 2000 until 2006 I had to service my Viper myself, I simply did not know where I could take my car to get reliably and responsibly serviced. I met Chuck Tator, and Chuck now sees my car routinely. I'm not a master mechanic, Chuck is an I (and my car) know the difference. I also rely on Sean Roe for his consistent and skillful guidance. Having said that, make no mistake about it, when it comes to generating logs and reviewing, in a very detailed way, the specifics that drive the air/fuel and timing issues of my engine, I know as much as anyone as to were my car is at any given time. No, Chuck Tator does not tune might VEC, I do (along with help from Sean). My Viper does not burp, have weak spots in its power curves, weird idling, hesitations or slow transitions from vacuum to boost or back again. My car runs like a bear, so much better than when it was stock it's ridiculous. This take work, very little and I find it fun to do. I also need to make one last point, I simply don't care what engine management system you use, I'll give you my guidance from a VEC perspective because that's what I know. Stock vipers can be fundamentally improved by being able to work with the stock PCM using such systems.

Back to subject, a well running Viper is one that has precise tuning of the air to fuel ratio and ignition timing curves over the whole operational range of the engine. We begin with understanding one of the very basics of stock Viper engine. There are two major conditions that every stock Viper engine has, open loop and closed loop operations. And they are very different. Closed loop refers to a condition whereby your Viper's PCM is constantly monitoring the narrowband oxygen sensors located in your exhaust system along with a few other sensors like air temperature and cooling temperature. As you may be aware, each side of your engine (or bank) has its own exhaust pipe with a narrowband sensor located at the junction of the header and another narrowband sensor located behind the catalytic converter. When your engine is warmed up and your operating your engine with approximately less than 80 percent throttle, the PCM monitors the amount of oxygen and fuel and makes adaptive changes by increasing or decreasing the injector "pulse" automatically and spark curves. Increase the pulse, or in other words provide electrical current to the injector's for a longer duration, firing the injector's for more milliseconds, and you get more gas injected into the cylinder. Shorten the pulse, less milliseconds, less gas injected. This is where all you idle and cruising and normal acceleration efficiency work is.

We should think of closed loop operations as the time in which the engine is not being called upon to do its most powerful work. That does not mean that you're not accelerating, or even moving at highway speeds, that is not the case.... One can cruise at highway speeds for hours and never leave closed loop. In closed loop operations, we generally expect to throttle body's to be less than 80 percent open. In closed loop operations, we expect that the Viper is idling, gently accelerating, reasonably accelerating or cruising. All the while, the PCM is working to maximize the efficiency of your air fuel ratio. That ratio is most efficient at what is called "lambda". lambda is achieved when 14.7 lbs. of air is mixed with one pound fuel. The target, constantly being adjusted for engine load and other engine and driving conditions in the lambda is just that, 14.7. For those of us that want to see if in closed loop our cars are operating at lambda, we can. We do this by using the oxygen sensor that samples at a much higher rate and add a much more accurate rate and those found in stock Viper. Stock Viper's Oxygen sensors they are narrowband sensors, guys/gals that want to more accurate view their engine's ability to achieve lambda in closed the operations rely on gauges driven by wideband sensors. As load changes, so does the require A/F (Air Fuel) mix. It would be incorrect to assume that simply having a wideband sensor and wideband gauging your car is going to allow one to properly address all issues surrounding closed loop operations. We also need a high-quality software interface (program) to the ODB2 found in our GEN2 vipers. I have one, it plugs into the drivers left hand knee location of the OBD2 fitting under the dash. I can directly look into the PCM's operations, especially the adaptives and make sure they fall within a specified range of the stock PCM operating throughout closed loop. There is of course more on this subject, lots more, but there you have a very simplified begining, closed loop operations in a very summary fashion. I know what you are thinking....what happens in closed loop if I am running simms? Interesting question and one we will cover if anybody cares to.

I'm throwing this out here, to hopefully begin the process of helping others understand principal operations of the Viper and hopefully encourage others with much more knowledge than I have to step forward and share what they can. This is the tuning section, this is where interested minds can learn more. As to those that want to know what open loop operations are, I thought I would start a separate thread on that topic if there is interest here. if after awhile it becomes clear that nobody really cares about these subjects, trust me, I'll stop....

Last edited by a moderator:

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good Stuff Yankee! I would enjoy a segment on "O2 Simulators and Closed Loop Operations."

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
simply put, the car uses sensor input to adjust air fuel vs open loop where that ratio is not controlled by input of sensors, but by pre-programmed code in the PCM.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, based on that, adding sims will impact normal driving. But how much? Is this a case where fuel mileage is impacted or the car is running noticeably different? I haven't delved into this subject much. I've had other OBD2 cars where modifying the secondary 02 or adding a sim made absolutely no difference in dyno tuning/or daily normal driving duties (mostly closed loop).

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats too much for me to read...lol

so closed loop is "normal" driving. it can be accelerating just not WOT. ?

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Thanks Crom....I was getting concerned there..

Let's first begin with the Simm question.

First, thanks to the Wizard as well as others in getting all this information checked.

As we all are aware, as Viber owners take out their catalytic converters, the PCM is still waiting for the datastream that originally came from the narrow band oxygen sensors in the exhaust. there are two narrow band oxygen sensors on either side of the exhaust system. The Simms are normally placed in the rear position, behind a catalytic converter as its only job is to determine if the catalytic converter is operating properly. It does this by sampling the exhaust and determining the levels as compared to the front narrow band located at the junction of the stock header. When using Simms, a false datastream is presented to the PCM that the catalytic converter is operating properly. Your Viper's Engine performance (in regard to proper tuning) is determined by the front narrowband, that is the one that is sampling and creating the adaptives used for closed loop operations.

There are issues that become apparent when one uses aftermarket header systems. many of them placed the front narrow band oxygen sensor in a single cylinder pipe. as this would only sample the air fuel ratio of one cylinder, it is important to punch a hole in the header junction and weld in a bunge to relocate the narrow band sensor to capture the gas stream's of all five cylinders. That will ensure that the PCM receives the data it needs in order to keep the closed loop operation in order. Front narrowband = tuning...Rear Narrowband = catalytical converter performance.

Now, the rest, we need to start with narrow band and its "active feedback" with sensors in closed loop, so that when we get to OPEN LOOP, we can really get to work with tuning. Dansauto's summary is correct, your Viper actively adjusts based on input in closed and switches over to preprogrammed curves and commands in OPEN LOOP. But, and here it is folks, when we alter our Vipers with add-on power products we need to have the ability to change those preprogrammed, Open Loop, curves. Without attending to the Open Loop curves one cannot maximize their engines performance OR in some instances even keep the engine running perfectly in closed loop. Here we have choices...use a "piggy-back" system, use a "stand-alone" system or use an "In Series" system or "flash" your original PCM program. Four choices...each with very different requirements and capabilities. We could do a thread on each, together or seperately!

Plum, correct. More than about 80% throttle and one switches over to Open Loop and all interactive adaptives STOP....preprogrammed WOT / OPEN LOOP programming come into play.

When we read about guys running a 6.5lb, W/M supercharger and they are having detonation issues....if we take it for granted the installation was done correclty, many know its all in the Open Loop curves. With the right engine management system, one can attend to almost everything and make your Viper run P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. Hopefully, these new tuning threads will allow people to relax enough to grab the basics and get the work done. All in all, its just not that hard, but one does need foundation understandings.

So...if we can't change the PCM easily (yes, we can flash, but not ever time we make a substanitive change), how do we effectively tune in Open Loop?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was my basic understanding of the secondary 02 functions in an OBD2 car.

So based on that, no detrimental issues will arise with the addition of 02 simulators.

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Correct...to be absolutely clear..NO detrimental issues in running simms in the rear narrowband position.

Another interesting point. Some guys will just live without a Simm and deal with the engine throwing a code. Heck, they know why the code has been thrown. Some guys say "Hey, why not put a WIDEBAND sensor in the rear narrowband bunge?". Well, there is a school of throught that would counter "Nope, too far away from the combustion point and the widebands will sample colder exhaust". Best not to place a Wideband all the way back there, move it up to at least the front bend (see Illustrateds).

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NO ISSUES WILL ARISE RUNNING 02 SIMULATORS IN THE REAR NARROWBAND POSITION.

Ok, we've resolved on issue. Thanks Yank!

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Correct, none ..........

except it a felony to remove your catalytic converters.
Hey its only one strike....right?......right?

Your welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger