"clunk" in reverse

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"clunk\" in reverse

Sounds like a brake caliper puck to me. They can stick in the "out" position against the rotor sometimes. This is usually after the last stop of a drive(cooling), and when you move the car after sitting a while it gives that clunking sound as it releases.

I could be wrong but ive had the same problem on mine and other vehicles as well, and repair is simple and inexpensive.

tom

"a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, but if in the bush a fair maiden should stand, a push in the bush is worth 2 in the hand"......welch

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd agree with Tom on this. Didn't have the problem with the Viper but had a Porsche that would always clunk when going from reverse into forward gear. Apparently the brake would stick and then not push back out until the rotor turned and forced it to let go. Especially since you say it sounds like one side, doesn't sound like the transmission joints or anything if it's coming from the side.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This can happen after washing the car and after the car has sat overnight. The brake pads will rust bond to the rotors and what you are hearing is the bond breaking loose. I have had this happen and you can see the pad's rusty outline on the rotors.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One fine summer day I was leaving the infield after running autocross all day and as I approached the track (which had a wheel to wheel race running at the time) I applied my brakes. The pedal whet straight to floor, no resistance, and no brakes, at all. A quick pull on the Emergency Brake was all that kept me from crossing the track in the middle of the race.

Yes that lever does have its uses. It really helps to think of it as an Emergency Brake, not a Parking Brake.