Comp Coupe Banned from SCCA ITE

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturday i drove up to Nelson Ledges Road Course in Ohio to attend an SCCA event & to also keep my SCCA liscense up to date. Tech was a fiasco. What kind of car is this, who built it type questions. I run ITE in another region so i thought in Ohio I would just run the same class. After reading the rules for all the classes there really is no place that a Comp Coupe can be comfortable. BP is for World Challange Cars, GT1 is for Trans Am cars & where the CC has been approved to race but it is underpowered & over weight, Super Touring is for Production cars, and SPO is the same as ITE except you can race with slicks... I run Hoosier R6's. By no means am i a great driver only posting 1:14's compared to T1 drivers posting 1:10 a lap....
I get classed for ITE, after the race i end up in impound, because i'm too fast for the other ITE cars. Seems as though i lapped 2 ITE cars. A meeting begins with the Head SCCA Steward, Tech, and some other racers...Seems as though i took some regionals points...After all the discussion i bet booted from ITE & they place me in a Super Touring Class. What a rip...

OP
OP
FrankBarba

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today for my 2nd race i start in the back of the pack...Now in Ohio this is not a big class, 8 cars show up....I'm told that i should tone it down & be kind, there are slower cars in font of you...."Can i please have my entry fee back & i'll leave"

Race starts....I pass 1 car, then work my way to the front, not passing the lead ITE car...The race is 20 laps, for 11 of them i just simply followed the lead ITE car....He was waiving me by & i refused to pass him, until lap 11 or 12....I was simply out for a joy ride....After the race the fun begins again...I go to impound, seems with a full tank of fuel, myself & the weight of the car i am under weight for Super Touring....I again explain to them that if you place me in ITE i am fine, in another class i will not pass. Then they ask about a fuel sample, i complied but i did not have a tool to remove fuel....No problem sample not taken..What really disturbed me was when the tech person stopped by to ask if they could look for my air restrictors....I explained that i don't have any.....Next time i thing i will take my Dodge Window Sticker off & replace it with Corvette.....

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Geez, Frank, I am sorry about your weekend. Two reasons:

#1. It was so terrible to you. Generally SCCA events at Nelson Ledges are run pretty well.

#2. If I would have known you were coming up I would have dropped by to say "hi."

This morning my brother told me there was a CC at the track. He also told me it was running in ST....that didn't sound right to me. I jsut chalked it up to him not knowing "my world" (he runs a GTL Nissan).

I am pissed that you set the ST track record...:lmao:

If it means anything to you, I was told by the SRT guys that an ACR laps Nelson in the 1:05-1:08 range, depending on driver.

You know, you do bring up an interesting delimma: what class does a CC run in SCCA Club Racing? BP is what comes to mind. I tried to get them into GT2, but that went over like a led ballon.

Oh well, there is always NASA.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out in California, the CC's are not allowed in ITE as they are factory built race cars. ITE out in Ca requires that the car must have been a street car at some point. Our race GTS's are eligible but our CC's are not. CC's must run in BP or GT1 (if in stock VRL form) A Comp Coupe cannot compete against most GT1 cars out here. The other option is SP (Super Production) but that is an umlimited class with some cars running a few seconds a lap faster than the GT1 cars. I agree, the CC is an expensive toy with few racing classes to run in.

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Geez, Frank, I am sorry about your weekend. Two reasons:

#1. It was so terrible to you. Generally SCCA events at Nelson Ledges are run pretty well.

#2. If I would have known you were coming up I would have dropped by to say "hi."

This morning my brother told me there was a CC at the track. He also told me it was running in ST....that didn't sound right to me. I jsut chalked it up to him not knowing "my world" (he runs a GTL Nissan).

I am pissed that you set the ST track record...:lmao:

If it means anything to you, I was told by the SRT guys that an ACR laps Nelson in the 1:05-1:08 range, depending on driver.

You know, you do bring up an interesting delimma: what class does a CC run in SCCA Club Racing? BP is what comes to mind. I tried to get them into GT2, but that went over like a led ballon.

Oh well, there is always NASA.

I am quoting myself so I can explain my comments. I re-read what I typed and it looks a bit condescending, and that is not my intention. the ST track record? I know that you were coasting, and that is what I was laughing at. I am almost 100% sure your's is the first ST lap ever made at Nelson Ledges. Just a clarification so I don't come off as a complete jacka**.

OP
OP
FrankBarba

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David...It was spur of the moment. I thought i needed to keep my SCCA liscense current. Yes....the first ST lap ever made at Nelson's. Infact the SCCA Region was happy that finally a ST car make a lap & set a record...Last year i did a 1:10 in the same car in ITE. 1:05 is a great time to shoot for. What is mind bogggling is that the Atlanta Region Classified my CC in ITO. I was scheduled to run the AARC but now i can not....I guess i could always lie & say that i built the car from scratch....Anyone have a VIN plate i can have.....???? NO NO NO....

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, Unless the SCCA and other sanctioning bodies get there acts together there will come a time when they will just all go away,as they did in Drag racing years ago.

In the interest of fairness and equality they destroy the sport they love.

It's called "Competition" for a reason. If we are all equal there is no reason to race.

Cindi Lux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank- sorry to hear about your terrible weekend with SCCA. Especially with the entries falling at events, you would have thought they would have been happy to have you there.

There are plenty of people running CC in regional SCCA events with no problems. But again, every region is different in their approach and attitude. :dunno:

Hang in there.