Comp Coupes coming up for sale?

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from Texas and wanted to congratulate all of you in the VRL race. I am hoping to join you guys in my GTS next year, at least here during the West Coast events.

Henry, being parked in front of you gave me the opportunity to chat with you for a bit -- thanks for answering my questions about car set up.

The more I see the comp coupes and the more money I slap into my GTS, the more sense it seems to me to lean towards buying one vs. keeping the GTS. There were some talks about some of you at Viper Days selling off your Comp Coupes and getting the newer models. I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer.

First, I am curious as to why sell what you have and get the new model? Do the new models have something the old ones don't, or is it simply a wear and tear thing?

What kind of price range can be expected for comp coupes that are used on a regular basis?

What features do you feel are absolutely important to have in the car that might not come in a comp coupe that is purchased or ordered?

In SCCA and NASA events, for a beginning, what classes can the comp coupe run in?

Lastly, what is the main difference between the VRL and WC cars?

If things go as planned, really thinking about picking one up soon after the year ends.

-Manny

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Comp Coupe is legal for the GT1 class of SCCA. Ask Joe B who he has to run against in GT1. The Comp Coupe is NOT competitive in SCCA Club racing as it has to run against cars that are significantly lighter and have more HP. Luc's Rousch Trans Am Mustang is a perfect example of the type of car you'd be running against. Not fun.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny...Body Panels is the big difference, between the 2. HP is the same after all its a spec car. NASA you can run different classes...Super Unlimited, Viper / Vette Challange
and you might be able to run PSO (you will need to run DOT Tires for this class). SCCA you can run a National Class in GT-1, In SCCA Regionals (Club Racing) you have your choice between GT-1, ITE (Dot Tires required) or SPO anything goes.

Jerry Deyoung has his up for sale. Give him a call.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Major differences between 2005 WC and VRL cars include different engine hood, front splitter, front fascia, rear wing, toe links, ball joints, sway bars, shocks, springs, air intake box, radiator, fan, traction control, launch control, tires and related set-up requirements, minimum weight requirements, rear axle ratios, etc., etc.

In short, the cars are worlds apart and should have substantially different lap times with the same driver.

VRL cars are stock as delivered from the factory, with little room for deviation.

Tom Francis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny,

Give us a call and we can discuss the various options between VRL and W/C cars. We have both VRL and W/C spec cars complete and ready to ship.

Tom Francis
Viper Race HQ
888-960-3333

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456