CORSA 3" dyno results from APEX Motorports!!

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CORSA 3\" dyno results from APEX Motorports!!

As many of you know, APEX Motorsports tests every power upgrade for the Viper using our in-house Dynojet and engine monitoring software. Since Dynojet's are very sensitive to temperature, humidity, and input variables, and the Viper is extremely sensitive as well, we take careful steps to ensure testing conditions are as consistent as possible. We also feel it necessary to test performance components to see if they stand up to their claims for variables like increased power and torque.

Since we install these parts on our customers' Vipers, we need to be able to tell them what to expect, and there are instances in which manufacturer's claims don't hold water. With our dyno results, we also like to take the average increase numbers by canceling out the highest and lowest readings, and taking into account average gains, as opposed to peak gains, throughout the entire rpm band.

So, we have had the opportunity to do a 'back-to-back' test on CORSA's 3" exhaust system. This test was performed on a 96 RT/10 (GEN I motor with rear-exit exhaust system). This car was stock except for filters and tubes (a mod that everyone should have), and we performed 7 dyno runs to ensure consistency. We should be completing results for a GENII in the next week.

Results follow below:
Difference (before/after)
RPMS hp tq
2500 3 6
2750 4 7
3000 5.5 10
3250 8 13
3500 12 18
3750 12 16
4000 13 17.5
4250 14 18
4500 16 19
4750 16 17.5
5000 20 21
5250 21 21
5500 26 27

PEAK: +19hp , +17 ft.lbs tq

Looks like to CORSA system preforms great!
If interested, you can purchase the system from APEX Motorsports. Call us at 408.562.1000 with any questions.
Thank you.
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: CORSA 3\" dyno results from APEX Motorports!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AviP:
.........How about comparisons?
-Avi
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those Gen-1 numbers are indeed good. Gen-I has always responded well to exhaust tuning gains.

PartsRack posted Dyno results on the prototype Corsa 3" a while back, on a 1997 Viper. Remember, a prototype is NOT an end-user product, but the pre-production model. Less smootheness, lesser-quality bends, etc...etc.
The 3 back-to-back runs, in order, were +20HP, +17HP, and +14HP. Avg = 17HP. We took great care.......yada, yada, yada......the hotter the car, the less HP was achieved on that prototype.

The 2000 Viper w/ the FINISHED product (less cam in 2000, remember?) produced an average of 19 HP and 33 Tq ! But if you did NOT like the HP numbers, you would like the looks and sound. The tips are quite frankly K I L L E R !

Sales Pitch Follows: As of today, we still have our inaugural special on Corsa 3", we are their top-selling dealer. We have sold even more to Viper retail 3" than CORSA itself. Fact! THANKS VCA FOR MAKING THIS POSSIBLE! The NEXT buyer (Today only)gets an extra $50 off by mentioning this post. Thanks.

That said, YOU may prefer (alphabetical) Belanger, Borla, Hennessey, MoPar, Snake Oyl, from PartsRack to meet your personal sound vs HP goals. Beauty is in the EAR of the beholder as well........

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LAST NIGHT AT "VIPER NIGHT" AT HAPPY-DAYZ DINER, I GOT TO SEE AND HEAR SIDE BY SIDE A BELANGER CAT-BACK ON A STOCK 99 GTS AND A 3" CORSA ON A STOCK 96 RT/10. THE PROUD OWNERS CARS WERE SIDE BY SIDE WITH THE REAR OF THE CARS FACING THE ANTICPATING LISTENERS. THEY BOTH FIRED UP AT THE SAME TIME. THE BELANGER SOUNDED LIKE A JET BOAT IN WATER WHEN IT WAS IDLING. IT GOT THE WAY COOL AWARD IN THIS DEPARTMENT. WHEN THEY BOTH ROARED TO LIFE THE CORSA CAME OUT AHEAD BECAUSE IT SOUNDED SO EVEN AND SMOOTH. THE BELANGER STARTED TO CACKLE AT HIGHER REVS. THE THING THAT WOULD DEFINETLY MAKE THE CORSA THE WINNER WOULD BE IF THE NOISE CANCELLATION IN THE COCKPIT WORKS OR NOT. THE HORSEPOWER GAINS ARE THERE, AND WE DO NOT KNOW THE BEFORE AND AFTER OF THE BELANGER. AT FIRST I THOUGHT THE BELANGER WAS THE COOLER SOUNDING, BUT IF YOU WEIGH EVERYTHING ELSE IN, IT HAS TO BE THE CORSA. STEVE WATCHED APEX MOTORSPORTS DO THE BEFORE AND AFTER TESTING OF THE CORSA, AND I BELIEVE THEY DID AS FAIR A TEST AS POSSIBLE. NOW WAYNE AND BILL NEED SOMEONE TO COME FORWARD WITH A GEN II STOCK VIPER TO DO A BEFORE AND AFTER ON THE CORSA 3" CAT-BACK. MY WIFE HAS ME BY THE SHORT HAIR RIGHT NOW, SO IT HAS TO BE SOME OTHER BRAVE SOUL.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll be putting on my 3 in. Corsas next Friday. My car's only mods are filters and tubes. Will post dyno results.

Reaction score

Bob, definitely post your results. It's always interesting to see how each car responds to different mods, and Vipers don't seem to be as consistent from one car to the next. Definitely do three or four runs and take an average, as heat-soaking will cause the numbers to decline.
As Wayne said, we'll be installing a 3" kit on a customer's GenII car shortly and will post our dyno results as well. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve-
Since this is the general discussion area, we would prefer that you call us for pricing. I believe you will find our prices competitive and our service to be great.
You can reach us at 408.562.1000
Thank you.
-Wayne

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did anyone notice...on the Corsa website...in the sound files...The Viper starts out strong...then breakes it's tires loose, just under throttle, and just before shifting into 2nd...Way Cool!

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In response to Sean and any others out there wondering; we do not ever take into account profit margin when we choose which parts and brands to sell. We look at quality, craftsmanship, ease of installation, manufacturer's reputation, and, of course, performance results. We have sold and/or installed other systems as well. We found the CORSA system to be extremely well built and engineered. If a customer insists upon using another cat-back system, we do not have a problem installing it for him/her.
Hope this clears things up.
BTW-
For clarity are not stating that this particular CORSA system makes more power than any of the other cat-back exhaust systems. In fact, after the installation and during the dyno testing process, we tried every means possible to prove the numbers wrong (running the car when it was warmer, etc..) Keep in mind we took out the best performing run after the installation of the system when stating the results.
Quite honestly, we were very surprised by the results as well.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think its a credit to us that APEX posts such detailed info. How about comparisons?

-Avi

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm having difficulty finding dyno comparisons for the Belanger cat-back (without headers). How does it compare to the Corsa's? Will the Corsa's respond as well or better with headers up stream?
Thanks,
Frank

Reaction score

Steve, glad you like the new 3" system and all the accessories! Are you going to be at the monthly NorCal meeting next Tuesday and/or Happy Days on Wednesday? If so, anyone who wants to hear the sweet, smooth Corsa 3" sound should show up!
Also, we just received in our latest shipment of MGW accessories, so those of you who had ordered some will be getting them shortly. As Steve mentioned, we're also stocking a lot more accessories for drop-in customers. Come and check them out!

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

STEVE,BILL,AND WAYNE,

I DO NOT KNOW IF I WOULD TOOT MY HORN SO LOUD YET...HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL MGW EXHAUST SYSTEM YET? I MIGHT HAVE A NEW CHOICE FOR MY NEXT SYSTEM. CHECK OUT THEIR SOUND AUDIO ON PAGE 2 OF THIS CHAT ROOM. HAVE FUN DENNIS