Cost of built motor

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys whats the cost of a built gen 2 motor? I have a 2000 GTS with a roe supercharger I am going to a 10lb pulley. I am going to upgrade my pistons but I thought I would ask you guys what a fully built motor cost? Thanks for any info you have...

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you! Now that takes care of the hard parts but what about machine work. Im talking about a full engine build, parts, labor, removing and installing of motor. Thanks...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
built short block from underground is 11500 i think. greg good head i think are gonna run you 3000-3500 depending on what ya wanna do.

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im fairly new to the viper community so my knowledge is not so good but $11,500 is really High. I know theirs not alot of viper but I cant believe people pay that price. If you priced the hard parts and the machine work that would not come close to 11,500 so your talking what 5 or 6 thousand dollars labor to pull the motor and build it and put it back in and thats being generous. Im just not used to those type of prices for a built motor thanks alot...

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am planning an LSX 454 with 14:1 compression. nice heads and it will cost me around 11-12K from a really good builder it will put down close to 800hp all motor. GM has a crate 454 mild build with 620hp for 12K. 11,500 sounds about right for a viper build if you are doing it right. Like you I am new to this community also so I do not know but it sounds right to me.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im fairly new to the viper community so my knowledge is not so good but $11,500 is really High. I know theirs not alot of viper but I cant believe people pay that price. If you priced the hard parts and the machine work that would not come close to 11,500 so your talking what 5 or 6 thousand dollars labor to pull the motor and build it and put it back in and thats being generous. Im just not used to those type of prices for a built motor thanks alot...
I have built many a Gen 2 Viper motor in my day.Trust me 11,500 IS NOT HIGH (we are not talking 350 Chevy here)ESP IF YOU ARE TALKING THE QUALITY NEEDED TO KEEP 900 HP together.Leaving the STOCK CRANK in place parts cost at JOBBER (NO MACHINE WORKOR LABOR INVOLVED is over 5 grand) .Rods =2000.Pistons and Rings 1500 Gaskets and Bearings 1100 Billet Caps 500.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am planning an LSX 454 with 14:1 compression. nice heads and it will cost me around 11-12K from a really good builder it will put down close to 800hp all motor. GM has a crate 454 mild build with 620hp for 12K. 11,500 sounds about right for a viper build if you are doing it right. Like you I am new to this community also so I do not know but it sounds right to me.
Guys plese remember the quality iam talking about here far exceeds what is coming in a crate engine .Top line Carillo or Crower Rods .Top line CP Pistons .Specially made UPGRADED Main Billet Caps .If you go Stroker the crank alone in a 4340 forging is probably over 6000.00 These parts are rated for an easy 150 hp per cylinder or 1500 total hp

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
talk to Kevin at Exotic Engine. the absolute best experience i have had. Very honest, incredible pricing, and he builds engines for the top Viper racing teams in the world. he knows the Viper engine inside and out, and has every specialized tool built for each generation of Viper engine. the Viper isnt a truly unique engine, but its layout -ie-torque plates for cylinder work etc is. Kevin knows the short falls etc, and will fix everything and not sell you anything you dont need.
you wont believe how reasonable he is, and his work is amazing. he just built the short block in my Gen2, and i coudnt be happier.
i dont like to let anyone do any work for me, -i have an engine shop and over 10 million in CNC's etc, but it was more reasonable to ship it to Kevin and let him do it. 100% confidence after speaking with him on the phone just once.

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the consumer thats not looking for a motor that will handle 1500hp. I think theirs alot of Viper owner who would like a little security when running a supercharger, a motor that will run mild boost lets say up to 10 or 12lbs. Im thinking better pistons, rods, balance and blueprint everything keep it at 488ci and call it a day...

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the consumer thats not looking for a motor that will handle 1500hp. I think theirs alot of Viper owner who would like a little security when running a supercharger, a motor that will run mild boost lets say up to 10 or 12lbs. Im thinking better pistons, rods, balance and blueprint everything keep it at 488ci and call it a day...
then you call Kevin for a simple, yet reliable build up that will last a lifetime

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can save money but not as much as you think because at that boost level (12 lbs ) a Paxton(worked motor ) your probably still making over 1000 hp as a stock Paxton kit is only 6 lbs.Guys as i mentioned before i have been through this numerious times and there is absolutely NO WAY to do a Viper CHEAP to handle 1000 hp and keep it together for any period of time .A completed short block alone retaining the stock crank is going to be in the 10 grand range (hell you got over 7 grand in parts in it alone without ANY machine work)To do the heads (STOCK CASTINGS )and rockers the correct way (flowed port polish bigger better valves springs ect )you probably got another 6 grand .It comes down to this when your over 750 hp basically every moving part (other than the crank shaft )in that engine must be upgraded if you want to keep it together for any period of time

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should have bought a 99
With the kind of power being discussed here a 99 or earlyier forged piston engine will not stay together either as the quality of those forged parts can no way handle that kind of power .No stock Viper engine EVER built is made to handle 10-12 lbs of boost

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will handle it, but for how long is the question....

boostalmighty just blew his LOW mile, forged, stock motor to pieces at 850rwhp or so.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For your low boost Roe supercharger you should not need anything but stock rods. You can buy some pistons, Greg good heads and cam, ATI balancer, good bearings, and ARP bolts for everything. You are still going to spend 10k buy the time you add up all the small stuff but will last a long time. If you are going to change out the Roe for a Paxton or Turbos then you will have to upgrade the Rods and Main caps.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To do a piston swap with all new bearings, seals, hardware was $5200
Thats just pistons no rods, upgraded Billet caps, Cam Timing chain ect.For the rods add 2000 .Billet caps 1000 Cam 1000 Timing Chain 250.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will handle it, but for how long is the question....

boostalmighty just blew his LOW mile, forged, stock motor to pieces at 850rwhp or so.
Plum these threads get too funny as these guys think just because a part is forged not cast it can handle 1000 hp.(Well like you pointed out it can ,but for how long )Guys there is a hugh difference in QUALITY between the 50.00 rod Dodge installed in the pre 99 Viper and the 200.00 Crower or Carrillo Rod that is capable of handling 125 horsepower per cyl.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi 1BADGTS,

I was not saying that my 454 build was the same as what you are talking about. I was simply trying to say that a 454 LSX will run me 11-12k and a crate 454 LSX was the same price as a comparision to his response that 11.5K was too much for a viper motor build.

Sorry if I was not clear.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi 1BADGTS,

I was not saying that my 454 build was the same as what you are talking about. I was simply trying to say that a 454 LSX will run me 11-12k and a crate 454 LSX was the same price as a comparision to his response that 11.5K was too much for a viper motor build.

Sorry if I was not clear.
No problem,I understand .

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Totally agree, the cost is more likely going to be in the $15K range. I had Kevin from Exotic build my motor and it is truly artwork. The motor produced 600 hp normally aspirated, 800 rwhp at 6K feet with 12 lbs of boost. Eng coolant temp stays at 180 degrees under all driving conditions and outside temps - truly amazing. I can beat this motor all too hell and all I have to do is change the oil every 3k miles.

jm

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its really simple if your in the 1000 hp range and you dont spend the money on top rate components sooner or later it will come back to haunt you (when it does you will wind up spending a ton more money to do the job completely over with the correct parts and then some for any repairs needed.)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question is a bit mis-leading. I have 10K miles on my stock 99 with 8 lbs of boost. Over 800 HP with NOS, so far, no problems. The motor will handle it up to a point, BUT even a built motor can let loose and fail. So just because you have $10K into an engine build, doesn't mean it won't break. You're just prepping it to last longer, there are no guarantees...............................(wait for it......)

If/when my engine does fail, I will rebuild it stonger, faster better than it was before.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys whats the cost of a built gen 2 motor? I have a 2000 GTS with a roe supercharger I am going to a 10lb pulley. I am going to upgrade my pistons but I thought I would ask you guys what a fully built motor cost? Thanks for any info you have...

Sounds like some posters didn't read your original post. I am running 10 pounds of boost (Roe) on my stock motor and it's holding up just fine. With the Roe S/C and 10 pound pulley you would be fine just upgrading the pistons and rods (if costs are a concern).;)

If you are not concerned with limiting the costs it would be a great time to do the cam and heads while you are in there.:2tu:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question is a bit mis-leading. I have 10K miles on my stock 99 with 8 lbs of boost. Over 800 HP with NOS, so far, no problems. The motor will handle it up to a point, BUT even a built motor can let loose and fail. So just because you have $10K into an engine build, doesn't mean it won't break. You're just prepping it to last longer, there are no guarantees...............................(wait for it......)

If/when my engine does fail, I will rebuild it stonger, faster better than it was before.
Of coarse if its built it can fail but the odds are MUCH better that it will not if the correct parts are used and matched to the new power level.You also have to remember IF /WHEN an engine fails do to fatique on an overmatched part there may not be anything left or worth rebuilding in it(put one of those powdered metal rods that are meant to handle 650 hp threw the block and alot of times the engine can be thrown out)resulting in a much greater cost if the block or crank gets damaged

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen