Cream-puff cam vs stock GEN2

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I know that the cream-puffs no longer have the lumpy cam and some of the specs changed on it, but since it did not affect hp or tq, was it done for a "clean air" issue or what?

Thanks

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who said it didnt affect hp/tq?

Go to a Viper dyno day and compare stock numbers vs stock numbers, and then modified vs modified.

Creampuffs pull about 5 hp less than the non, in stock form. If you test with exhaust a non creampuff will pickup 15-20hp from a borla/belanger. While the creampuff will pick up 5-10.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lighter pistons in the creampuffs balance out the hp loss from the cam change.

Yes yes,

And as we all know dyno testing is a farse, and no one should ever believe actual numbers. :p

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally like the car a bit smoother, and whatever tiny differences stock can be easily made up with basic mods. what's 5-20HP out of nearly 500HP anyway?

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the cam / creampuff ed-u-muh-cation!

NOW, how much boost will the CP take comfortably vs the forged car?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOW, how much boost will the CP take comfortably vs the forged car?

A lot less. I wouldn't go over 5 psi and even then you better make sure you have no detonation.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hyper. pistons only weigh a pound or so less, the cars went to short style headers, and this is mostly what balanced out the hp. The cast iron exhaust manifold was very poor at flowing, not to mention very heavy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 96-97 cam had a very high overlap, and made a good 15-20 hp more, no way the piston reduction could have made that up, again correct me if I'm wrong.

Skip White

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hyper. pistons only weigh a pound or so less, the cars went to short style headers, and this is mostly what balanced out the hp. The cast iron exhaust manifold was very poor at flowing, not to mention very heavy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 96-97 cam had a very high overlap, and made a good 15-20 hp more, no way the piston reduction could have made that up, again correct me if I'm wrong.

Skip White

A pound of piston goes a long way! My 99 had the shorty headers too. ;)

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is such a grey area! Dose anyone know for sure the difference between years. I have a "99", the shop manual dose not list the overlap but the lift is as shown in the link I posted above. I would like to put this question to rest. What is different between a "96" and a "99" cam?(specs)

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have dyno's from my car with the "creampuff" cam. I now have the 708 cam (with my lighter pistons) and will post the dyno difference as soon as I can.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone point to where the overlap comes from on the link I posted? Apparently 6 degrees were lost on overlap from 99 to 2000, but all the events & durations remained the same.

It's been a few weeks since I studied a timing diagram, but shouldn't something be adding up on that thing?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 should dyno the best numbers ever in theory.

First year of the SS tubular headers (albeit crinkle cut like french fries for fittment clearances), yet still has the lumpy cam.

I put the shorties on my 97 and pulled 434, happy with that.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 was the last year that did not meet 50 state smog emissions. My preference is 1998 and 1999 Vipers that offer the “708” Cam and Forged Pistons.

The highest bone stock Viper I have seen was a 2000. One of the weakest Vipers I have seen was also a 2000 (same Dyno shop). When the numbers are within a few HP, you really need to be on the same DynoJet. The same car will deviate at each shop.

2000+ did gain the power from the lighter pistons. The change was to save money, meet new emissions standards, less piston slap noise on startup, eliminate neutral gear rattle with a milder cam.

I have seen some of the Cream Puffs actually loose power with upgrades. One owner did a full exhaust system including headers and lost 7 hp. With some tuning the power may come back, but never like a car with a 708.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456