Critique: SRT Drive Experience (Fontana, Vegas NEXT!)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Calif Speedway Mar 13-16, FOUR Day event!
Las Vegas March 27-30 FOUR Day Event
1-800-998-1110 menu 3 Space Is Available. VCA Discounts.
Spectator ride-alongs are CHEAP!!!!! BRING GUESTS!!!

I have to admit that after 15 years, I "own" the PIR-Portland lap record for # of laps in a Viper. And I have instructed at over 100 school days there. So taking an SRT Drive Experience event at PIR was NOT on my list of "Must-Do" events.

HOW WRONG COULD I HAVE BEEN ?!?!?!

We just completed a sold-out 2-day event at PIR, that ranks among the BEST car
experiences I've ever had, INCLUDING measured vs. some great VOI-days (been to 9.)

-Good parking. -Smoothe registration. -Nice hot breakfast. -Good Lunch. Snacks & Drinks.

-Great live intro, and a (2-SRT Owner) Richard Petty video with the KING drawling out: "These SRT cores (cars) are way fastern most of my old Race Cores, and they handle and brake way bettern most of em, too!"

-Instructor intros, then break into ASSIGNED 4 x 20 Teams (for a friendly competition!)
If you registered together, you are teamed together.

-Sprinter Vans to the 4 driving, 1 riding modules. FIVE EVENTS.

- Orientation laps of full-course track riding (rollercoaster!) Sprinters; -Each vin # registrant gets a flash-card to PLUG INTO THE CARS to video your day, sound included!!!

Then, WE DRIVE HOT LAPS in SRTs on full-track course event: 300, Charger, Magnum, Jeep, Caliber. We drove em ALL for 2-3 laps each, in succession. NO ONE was in the car with us, just follow the lead instructor SOLO. 100mph+ ! The better your group of 3 drives, the faster your group goes. AWESOME FUN. Amazing performance, some w/ MoPar GoFast Stuff! Pit Stop car swaps til EVERYONE drives EVERY THING, and all specators all ride with instructors. Amazing Fun.

- Viper Performance (AutoCross) Cone course, we drove Viper 2008 SRT10s, 4 x 2 laps each.
Instructor along, helpful and fun. Some spins...Dead Cones... real fun, even watching the novices and riders! Doris SPIN, Jon WIN x 2

- DRAG RACING, mini-tree, 1/16 mile; heads-up SRT: Chargers, Jeeps, Magnums, 300s.
Like vs Like. Lots of trash talk and fun. YOU RACE THEM ALL.....And YES, I DID get down into into the 4s !........Great fun. Doris 2 Jon 2

- LUNCH TIME . Catered lunch under the Big Top. Very much like a VOI Track Day. Cool SRT stuff for sale to go with free SRT lanyard, hat and pen.

- AUTOCROSS CHALLENGE: Individual short course in Caliber SRT-4; Doris 2, Jon 0; TAG-TEAM event in Jeep SRT-8 ! 20-Team drivers, times keep running-accumulating, ALL cones deducted. All Team winners get a prize at the AWARD CEREMONY (Top-3 Complete with Podium!) Our Team Won......

- Hot Lap Rides with Richard Petty Instructors: Now THIS was humbling. As I said, Ive logged THOUSANDS of laps at PIR: Vipers, Comp Coupes, Ford GTs; F-360, F-430, P-911T and many many more. After all, when Team SRT arrived, Doris and I were priviliged to help out and showthem the 'school line' and helped them set some apex cones on setup day. So, I was feeling pretty special, right? WRONG !

Helmet on (provided) Hop in an SRT: Caliber, Charger, Magnum, 300, Caliber, Jeep, or 08 Viper Coupe, even a SnakeSkin Green! Several of their drivers have skills worthy of Championship DRIFT cars. I honestly experienced my singular most fun, E-TICKET ride at PIR, in this SRT Experience event! AFTER FIFTEEN YEARS OF DOING IT !!! Everyone emerged from their 2-3 laps with wrinkley grins so big, they'll need a group buy on Bo-tox. (Only one rider barfed) P.S. My awe-inspring ride was NOT even in a VIPER !!

- Awards Ceremony - We all assemble back at the tent for bench-racing and awards. Each SRT Team captain told the funnies of the day, and then the Team Times were announced with life-or-death importance among the captains. 3-step podium ceremony only lacked for sprayed champagne. A couple of the Day-1 folks had so much fun, they BOUGHT ANOTHER DAY! And therefore virtually sold out day 2. Departing gift nice SRT logbook item.

When This Comes to town, YOU GOTTA DO IT !! I will ask Chad to post some photos in here soon, so come back and check it out. THANKS, SRT-Drive Experience and Richard Petty Driving Experience Team.

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second Jon's critique. (BTW Jon, glad to hear our team won -- I had to leave a little early.) I was there on Saturday and while not a dedicated driver training school, the program was nice in that it gave you a nice taste of various skills and disciplines such as autocross, car control, drag racing and road racing.

The bonus too was that you get to ride a variety of cars that are not yours. I was, with the exception of the SRT Caliber, very impressed with the entire SRT line.

I highly recommend this especially if you can do it for free.

/Rich

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I totally agree Jon! :2tu: I did the SRT Drive Experience back in August 07' and it was much more than what I expected. Very professionally done. The best part was that the price was included with my vehicle sticker price.:2tu::headbang:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, I assumed after Doris beat both your runs and mine, you simply snuck out.......

I actually could not stay long enough for the final awards, etc. but after seeing Doris' autocross times earlier in the day I knew the writing was on the wall.:D

Give my regards to Doris and tell her congrats.

/Rich

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similar experience at the SRT Drive Experience at Firebird Raceway (Metro Phoenix). My wife and I had a GREAT time, and would recommend it for anyone! I have to agree with Jon B....the ride with the "professional" driving instructor at the helm was an eye opening experience. I realized how inept my driving skills were! This was truly a fantastic event.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the one at Summit Point, WV after purchasing my Charger SuperBee. The modules were the same as the ones you did and it was an equally thrilling experience. I was kinda bummed that they lost my DVD with all the telemetry and video from the road-course portion, but they comp'd me a really nice windbreaker.

Anyone who hasn't done this event really should make it a point, it was an absolute blast!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can I do one of these for less than $400 (the $500 price with the $100 VCA discount)?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can I do one of these for less than $400 (the $500 price with the $100 VCA discount)?

If you buy an SRT vehicle new, you get one free attendance (it's actually listed on the window sticker). Otherwise, I don't think you're gonna get any cheaper than $400 for a full day of food, fun and flogging someone elses vehicles.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

You can do it for $65:

You can attend all the events, meals, etc, and participate as a rider in all the modules with an INSTRUCTOR at the wheel, for $65.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
But that means NO wheel time for him, right...he's limited to ride alongs with the instructor?

For $65 you get the registration and departing freebees, meals, refreshments, and RIDES.
You could make a case for the $65 GUESTS having a more entertaining event than the participants! The instructor rides are tail-out wildness.....8+ hour event for $65 !!!!

LAS VEGAS NEXT WEEK: March 27-28-29-30. Space is Available......

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'm more interested in driving, Jon's point about the rides makes this event a compelling alternative to going to an amusement park for about the same price!

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if this comes close to me I am in. After many years of open wheel racing and some gocarting this sounds like a lot of fun. My father would have a blast to. Plus what better reason to get the car out for a nice drive.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if this comes close to me I am in. After many years of open wheel racing and some gocarting this sounds like a lot of fun. My father would have a blast to. Plus what better reason to get the car out for a nice drive.

Note, you drive their cars, not yours (bonus!).

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For $65 you get the registration and departing freebees, meals, refreshments, and RIDES. You could make a case for the $65 GUESTS having a more entertaining event than the participants! The instructor rides are tail-out wildness.....8+ hour event for $65 !!!!

LAS VEGAS NEXT WEEK: March 27-28-29-30. Space is Available......[/quote]

Houston APR 17-18 – 2 day event

Atlanta APR 25-27 – 3 day event

Daytona May 9-11 – 3 day event

Maimi – May 16-18 - 3 day event

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NEXT SRT - PETTY DRIVE EVENTS:

SUMMIT POINY WV 2-day event May 31 & June 1

CHARLOTTE 2-day event June 13 & 14

CHICAGOLAND 2-day event June 28 & 29th

Proud PS: PartsRack is the PRIZE SPONSOR for all the drive modules at each 2008 event. 5-7 awards per day. C'MON Viper Owners, show your stuff !

STREET DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I JUST ATTENDED THE ONE IN HOMESTEAD FLORIDA :D THE EVENT WAS FANTASTIC, BROUGHT MY 73 YEAR OLD FATHER WITH ME AS A GUEST, THEY TREATED US LIKE KINGS, THE LOOK ON MY FATHERS FACE AFTER THE HOT LAPPING IN THE VIPER WAS PRICELESS!!!!:2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any special treatment for Viper owners at these events?
I'd figure since most going to this event are SRT (including Vipers) owners, you'll probably be treated the same... which I assume is not a bad thingl. I doubt there's a special trailer for Viper owners with better catering and free massages. :D