Damn mice, how do you keep them out of your garage and car????!!!!!!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So today I noticed that there was a bunch of chewed up paper towel all over my bench in the garage and a shirt was also ruined. I was like :omg: and then I noticed the little mice turds everywhere, great, just perfect. I have always been vigilant about putting dryer sheets in and around the car but have stopped doing that lately. I popped the hood and noticed on the top of the motor below the intake a couple little turds (I have seen the before in the past and cleaned them that is how I know he was there today/recently). I immeadiately cleaned the whole garage and found a nest started behind my workbench but no mice in there so I sucked it all up in the shop vac and bleached the floor and sprayed everything down with fantastic and got the dryer sheets back out. I didn't think I had any mice at this house but I was wrong. I don't like killing things so I will be setting humane traps and relocating any that have dared to stay but I want them way away from my car, is dryer sheets my best bet? I did this through the winter and didn't seem to have a problem, but honestly this is the first time I have ever even seen evidence of a mouse and I want to nip it in the bud. How do you guys keep them out of your stuff? I read about the dryer sheets a long time ago that is why I use those, I have also heard of peppermint oil but :dunno::dunno: I don't want to put my cat out there, she will do damage to the outside of the car, thanks for any advice.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't give them an opportunity to get in. My garage is sealed shut unless I leave the garage doors open although I think field mice? need just 1/4" gap to make their way into things. My neighor/fellow Viper owner was driving his Viper on the highway when all of a sudden corn kernels starting dropping on his feet from the crotch vent! Mice had burrowed into his ducting and also made a nest under the intake. His garage doors weren't closing completely leaving about 1/4" gap and the mice found their way into his garage. I heard some folks use moth balls to deter mice.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah I've heard the mothballs too, I've got dryer sheets everywhere now but I think "catching" them in the trap is the next step and relocating them, i think this will be an ongoing thing now b/c the first time I let down my guard one comes a knockin. I might get some of the peppermint oil extract I hear they hate that, and yest field mice only need 1/4" so the size of a #2 pencil, my garage door is not that tight unfortunately.

F

FrgMstr

Big CFL low power lightbulbs left on 24/7 keep the rats, rabbits, mice, and snakes the hell out of the garage while burning 14w for 150w.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really, I didn't know that, you talking about florescents right? What does CFL stand for? How many do you need, I have a couple in my garage now but it isn't really bright or anything, does it need to be massively bright or just have one on?

F

FrgMstr

Really, I didn't know that, you talking about florescents right? What does CFL stand for? How many do you need, I have a couple in my garage now but it isn't really bright or anything, does it need to be massively bright or just have one on?

Compact Fluorescent Lamp. I use one "150w" bulb in my garage that uses 14w in my garage. Another smaller one in my shed outside. Keeps the vermin out being bright all the time. At least keeps the effin salamanders out of the car.....yeah really.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just doing some searching and was reading about a strobe light, interesting idea, do you think just having 1 flourescent light on that dimly lights the garage would work or would it need to be really bright all night?

F

FrgMstr

I was just doing some searching and was reading about a strobe light, interesting idea, do you think just having 1 flourescent light on that dimly lights the garage would work or would it need to be really bright all night?

Dunno. Guess it depends if your rats are cool and wear shades. ;)

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I turned it on anyway, I'm picking up a few humane traps tomorrow and I have like 22 fabric sheets all over the car lol, should get me through tonight, thanks for the tip about the light.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I've heard the mothballs too, I've got dryer sheets everywhere now but I think "catching" them in the trap is the next step and relocating them,

What do you mean "catching" and "relocating?" I hope you mean throwing their dead bodies in the garbage and not some PC option.

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you need to use the old type traps and kill them. I had 3 cars that they damage to the tune of about 35k overver a short period of time once they start they will not stop. Once you see one they are many. So you really just need to get rid of them. If you relocate they will be back. I also leave the sound units plugged into the wall. Irish Spring soap the orginal just cut it up and place around the garage also works well. The month balls really smell and very hard to get rid of the smell in the cars's.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old '98 GTS with spark plug boots eaten off by field mice.
Had to have them all replaced.

You must be registered for see images attach

forexx4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot 'em!!!!

Or get traps... I set up two in my garage and caught 4 mice in a couple of days. Haven't seen any more since.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Red Fox *****, GreenSense a company in Dallas sells it. If mice or any rodent smells/thinks a Red Fox is around they'll move on.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fix the garage door...whatever you need to do.
Also check all your walls to see if they are getting in from the drywal or somewhere.
I would just go to homedepot and get some mouse food poison. sorry my car means more to
me than all the mice out there. kill em all dern varmints.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Dryer sheets in the cars - mothballs stink and the smell last forever, plus they roll around and make noise when you are driving. I also have warfarin bait sticks in all 4 corners of the garage. If building a garage and it's wood or vinyl siding - use a wide strip of metal flashing across the face of the seam where the concrete foundation meets the wood framing sill - so they can never start to chew their way in - its covered by the siding and you can't even see it. Oh, and I have a pet falcon that circles the garage 24 hrs a day...

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, if you do try the Red Fox ***** .... Only use it outside around the perimeter, or better yet if you can determine point of entry, of the building you're trying to protect. Think of the worst ***** smell you've ever smelled, now multiply it by 10, equals Fox *****. If you spill it in the garage or house, you might want to sell it (if you can).

For reference: and no I don't know who's job it is to collect this stuff :crazy2:

You must be registered for see images

Oh, and if you're wondering why I use 'Red' Fox ***** vs. 'Yellow' Fox ***** .... It seems to work much Faster :D - I thought I would toss that in for ViperJon

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean "catching" and "relocating?" I hope you mean throwing their dead bodies in the garbage and not some PC option.

A-Men!

I have never like snakes, but I would rather have snakes than mice. Since I have lived where I am now I have only killed one snake and that one was attacking me.....He lost.

A cat is another option.

F

FrgMstr

My old '98 GTS with spark plug boots eaten off by field mice.
Had to have them all replaced.

WOW! That is effed up. Out of all the crap to eat outside and they pick your plug wires....

TP_ GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GET A CAT!
No more mice.

:2tu:

Put a car cover on, so the fur ball does not scratch your paint when he/she decides to camp out on top of it and your mice issue will dissapear.

Although, I do not have a mice issue in the garage, I had a small snake and rodent outside. Non poison snakes but they ***** the heck out of my daughter and me for that matter. Anyway, had a neighborhood stray cat that likes to wonder around. I fed it for a few days so it can make frequent patrols around the house in which it does and I cannot tell you the last time i've seen a no shoulders or any signs of a rodent.

Cats are great deterents.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely cats is an option, but if you're like me you don't want them climbing on your cars. You can get glue traps & they'll get them everytime & you don't have no smell or mess.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dryer sheets just provide them some more material to make nests from. I'll take a pic next time I have to remove one.

Traps, not poison. Would you rather have them die in a trap, or from poison after getting in your car?

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^^^ I've been using dryer sheets all winter and never heard they encourage them, something about the strong smell they don't like. I have them all over the car now and on the ground plus I just set up a trap, we'll see what I get.

Jon B, thanks for the link on the dryer sheets, that is what I have always heard and through the winter I did not see one dropping when using them, only now after I stopped.

VIPERBARON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live out in the country, and I can never stay ahead of the field mice & bunny rabbit problem. I was away for 6 months and they ate through my plug wires. Caused the cat to overheat and catch fire to the exhaust insulation in the side panel.
I had mouse traps and mothballs, and they still got up into the engine bay, in a closed garage.
$1000 worth of damage.
I'll be home in a week, after another deployment to Afghanistan, but this time I will be inspecting the Viper closer for signs of wire harness damage before cranking it.
:usa:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to have to keep up with all the dryer sheets & wouldn't you have to take them off your motor every morning before you drive your car. Glue traps in my opinion are better than poison or traps, no mess or smell(they get stuck in the glue & try to push off with their nose & it suffocates them, then you just throw them in the trash or wherever).

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK gentleman, take from a redneck from ky. This is the way to get rid of mice. Go and buy 20-30 of the victor traps with the yellow fake cheese square on it. Put 15 or so of them in the room/ garage with issues. Set the traps around the perimeter of the room with the fake cheese facing the wall. Mice run the base boards. So as they zip across the pad wham dead done. I caught 4 in one night the first time I set them out. Problem completely gone in a couple days. They stay on guard when your away.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a friend years ago that would sit in his living room with his .22 rifle. He had mice getting into the house. I didn't visit him after that.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A-Men!

I have never like snakes, but I would rather have snakes than mice. Since I have lived where I am now I have only killed one snake and that one was attacking me.....He lost.

A cat is another option.

Black racers are pretty common around here. They grow to about three feet and aren't afraid of hissing at you if you get too close. I guess they've done a good job keeping the rodent problem down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235