dawn soap and clay bar

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can use a dawn soap and water solution as lube for the clay bar? Just wondering since we all know dawn removes all the wax build up and the clay bar removes paint contaminants.

Thank,
Murray

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im thinkin that would sludge up to dry and clamy in a quick time- why not the stuff they sell for it? i dunno try it- but i wouldnt

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Works with Zaino's Show Car Wash as well. That is what Zaino recommends with their clay bar. It will not strip the wax.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do it in a warm sun, do it in the shade, and then a lot of rinsing helps to get it clean...then when dry, put on the glaze number whatever you want...

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I try not to use Dawn. I usually clay after washing with Adam's Car Wash Shampoo and use the wash solution as lube. Detail Spray works well too. If I'm looking to strip the wax prior to claying, I'll drop about 2oz of Adam's All Purpose Cleaner in the wash solution before washing. The point of the APC is to remove as much of the wax, prior to claying, in order to reduce the amount of buildup in the clay. Your clay will work better and last longer if you strip the wax prior to claying.

If you clay properly, you will remove all contaminants, including wax. The point is to start with a clean slate.

Remember to use the baggie test when claying.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Works with Zaino's Show Car Wash as well. That is what Zaino recommends with their clay bar. It will not strip the wax.

Oh yes it WILL strip the wax! Claying alone strips wax off the paint. Add Dawn to the solution and you've got the double whammy going. I wouldn't use a Dawn/water mixture because you have to get it just right or it will create a gunky mess or cause the clay to create unnecessary marring. But when you think about about it, surely someone driving a Viper can afford a $13 bottle of detail spray.