DC-More Coupe changes needed......PLEASE!!!

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too was in Detroit last weekend (at 15 degrees) and with the crew visited ASC and the Auto show.
ASC does a GREAT job (quality) in making the Viper parts. It's a great place to see our car parts being made.
However, we got a chance to get up close and personnal to one of the Coupe mules. Too close in my opinion.
I'm here to tell you, if you are over 6'1" tall, CANCEL YOUR COUPE ORDER.
You will not fit. It's the same fit (or worse) as with the SRT-10 with the top up. I'm 6'6" and ther is no way! The 96 GTS I had was a much better fit!
I'm sure Mike at NWE will be making LOTS of 2" or 3" seat lowering kits!
It's too bad Dan K. can't hire some taller engineers! Maybe then us tall guys would fit!
I loved my 96 GTS. I would love to have a new Coupe, but I have to fit first!
C'mon guys...LOWER THE SEAT!
Thanks
:confused:
PBR
10 of 50

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My left knee hits the dash in the SRT. It probably wouldn't had they not curved the dash toward the driver where the dash approaches the door.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John are you that much taller than me? I don't put the seat the 'farthest click back' and recline it. I'm leg long, versus chest tall, so maybe it is just me.

We should swap cars and go for a little back road run around Mt. Airy. :)

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should swap cars and go for a little back road run around Mt. Airy.

--------------------
1996 RT/10 Red (sold)
2003 SRT/10 Red
If this were religion, I just found God.

lol :eek: :D :2tu:

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Paul,

From what I understand, the mule's headliner was NOT a production headliner PLUS... I believe I heard from one of the car mags that the headliner is removeable for those that need the extra height.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should have preface the comment by saying that John and I are member of the VA/MD VCA. I have met he and his wife on several occasions. Great people. My intention was to go have some fun. I'd love to go for a ride in his car.

No ill-will. I read Floorins' comments and want to be sure you didn't take it the wrong way.

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6'5" 200 pounds and I dont have any trouble fitting into my 2005 Srt with the top up. It's a pretty tight fit and I if it was any smaller I wouldnt be able to fit in it too well, but for me its fine. I wouldnt want to take it on a really long trip, but most people dont get vipers for long trips.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RavenFan 94 did not mean anything ill-will sorry if that is what it came across as.We as teens had alot of drag racing in eldersburg and alot of fun down that way (27 and 97)alot of fun around 2:30am

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problem. I wasn't clear in what I wrote and wanted to be sure we all on the same page. Hanover is a short trip. Go away snow! :)

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not, a viper offers a lot of room, compared to Italian exotics. I'm 5/11 and it was a snug fit getting into our Lamborghini, my father is 6'3 and it was damn near impossoble for him to drive that car. If you are over 5'8 any Ferrari, Lambo or Lotus will give you problems. I was presently surprised by the amount of room in the Viper. :confused:

OP
OP
Y

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe- Thanks for the comment, but even if the headliner was removeable, there is NO ROOM for the helmet. DC HAS to lower the seat, to get real people to buy this car.
NWE is going to make some BIG money on seat lowering kits.
Too bad I won't be buying any. This Coupe DOES NOT FIT!
PBR
10 of 50

SNAKE.OIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I am 6'3 1/2 and I fit fine in our SRT. I did however find out to set the seat properly I first have to move the seat all the way back then recline the back rest until it fits against the roll bar (no space between the back of the seat & and the wall). If I set it this way I clear everything. If I don't my left knee will hit the dash. I do not have a problem with clearance with the top up, but getting out of the car is another story. ;-)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Paul,

From what I understand, the mule's headliner was NOT a production headliner PLUS... I believe I heard from one of the car mags that the headliner is removeable for those that need the extra height.

Paul, I DONT intend to"CANCEL MY ORDER" as you suggest. Please consider:

I am 6'3".....225 lbs. 33" inseam. "Normal" torso length. Paul, you are VERY long-waisted! and 6'7" ? I think your tall-torso causes this issue.

Maurice Liang took a photo of me sitting in the same SRT-Coupe, with my clenched fist atop my head. It looks tooo dorky to post, but it illustrates the headroom for this tall person.

The headliner has a bulge AFT of the mirror, caused by the (now-enclosed) SRT-10 soft-top-reciever mechanism. This bulge forces a tall person to lower the rear-veiw mirror, minimizing FORWARD and rearward visibility. I do hope they improve this condition. The SRT-10 surround WILL be used for 2006 we were told. This bulge is casued by federal head-impact guidelines in ref that enclosed latch. And the aft-bulkhead 'look-through' will be enlarged I was told.

The Coupe seat seemed a bit less posterior-friendly than the GTS. I have chatted w/ designer Ralph Gilles on several occasions about broad-beamed drivers like me, who also need 'groin room' instead of tight seat-bolsters! His SRT-4 seats are like a famous classic: The "NUTCRACKER SUITE" of seats in fact. SO I may have to 'bend' the bolsters like we did on SRT-4 to accomodaate my wider berth.... TOO MUCH INFORMATION?? Take heart. SRT listens, and you just keep driving that VCA Yellow SRT.......

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Paul Ronald for initiating this post.
I also attended the same events that Paul & Jon attended in Detroit. I thought that the new coupe looked very nice but was shocked by the poor visibility for the driver. I am 6'1"
tall with long legs. My straight forward line of sight was cut in half by the downward shape of the headliner above the windshield. I could only see straight forward & down. NOTHING, even slightly up from the horizontal. The bulge by the mirror was even worst. It would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to safely drive a car with these visibility restrictions.
These problems must be corrected on the production vehicles. Lowering the seat a lot is also a poor solution, I hate sitting in a hole.
Maybe the mule we saw does not represent the real cars in this very specific area of design? If so, DC should advise us that we will have MUCH IMPROVED visibility.
If the real cars have the same or very similar problems, DC should take corrective action and provide all of us an update for the final production vehicles.
Just my suggestions at trying to improve our great Vipers & ownership experiences.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte