different tire size?

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at the risk of being flogged,banned, chastised run out of town can a smaller set of tires and rims be used on a 1994 rt? I don't street race, go to the track or generally drive very aggressive. I was thinking of 17 inch rims with 265 or 275 width all around. I would like to have more options for tires and get more mileage from the tires as it seems that the stock Micheleins do not last very long. What problems would I encounter? Would the car drive that much different? I know the car would certainly look different. I've had the car for about a year and really enjoy it just thinking about other options and would like to hear from folks that have experience with this.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will be toooo small for the rim size you have. It will never work. Get a different brand rather than michellins. You will save $$$. I totally do not understand what you are trying to do.
This car was built around this particular tire size and you can go bigger but not backwards. Just bite the bullet its a viper

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to have more options for tires

and get more mileage from the tires

as it seems that the stock Micheleins do not last very long.

1. What type of options would you like? Going to 18" rims opens up more tire options like NITTO NT-05, NITTO INVO, and BFG G-Force

2. More mileage than what? What Is your reference point? goal? How many miles a year do you plan to drive the Viper? What region do you live in?

3. Viper tires(200-300 treadwear) can last pretty long as long as you have a conservative/straight alignment, maintain optimal tire pressures, and don't drive aggressively. Some people actually have issues with them lasting TOO long due to heat cycles including (winter/summer) causing the compound to eventually firm up to the equivilant of a 400-500 treadwear tire. This can be dangerous as you have much less grip than when they were new/fresh/soft.

the Formula-D Vipers run 18" wheels with the same size tire's F/R. Goal being to reduce rear traction and easier control the drift....;)

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
W

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of 17 inch front and rear I don't know if a 17 would fit the rear using a stock 11 inch rim or what problems there would be. I am looking at my rear tire that has 13000 miles on it and it would need to be replaced soon. I would like to get 35 to 40 thousand miles out a set of tires. I don't know if after market rims are available I called tire rack the guy said rims are very limited. As stated in initial post I do not drive the car hard at all. I do not understand the heat cycle thing and am wondering if driven like a regular car how a viper would be any different than any other car. I enjoy driving the car and have always liked the looks, maintaining the car and not letting it go to *** is my enjoyment. I will probably drive the car about 7 to 8 thousand miles a year. I live in the SF Oakland bay area

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay with the stock rims / sizes.
Opt for something like the new Super Sports or similar tire. These are designed to perform well and give reasonably long service life.
If you drive mellow and take it easy, the tires should last 20-25k miles.

I managed to destroy a set of rear tires in one day.
-they were new in the morning...wasted in the afternoon....a lot of expensive fun.

Vipers are just awesome, aren't they?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a point to consider (besides how It would look). If you try and get 40,000 miles out of the tires at 8,000 per year.....by the last year (year 5) those little bitties will be pretty hard and much more prone to breaking loose If you hit the throttle at all.

justfunrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a some what related question. I plan on taking my 94 RT-10 to the track at the end of June. I have the stock 335/35-17 tires and factory rims but am looking for an alternate size tire to get a choice of potential track/road tires. What other sizes can I use?

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
justforfunrt10- I bought some Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials that are 345/40/17 for the drag strip. They fill up the wheel well very nicely, look great, and perform great. Plus, they were only $185 each.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper