Diffuser and splitter build pics

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what was the middle X in your *** mph test ? And did you drive enough to notice any difference in the dynamics of the car at speed, i.e.: less understeer in corners?

The group of cars I was with over the weekend... Terrain varied from curvy hill country type roads to more of the kinda straight roads. I kept in line for the most part as I had a passenger that I was trying to offer some respect to in our unfamiliarity to each other, and hence the "maverick" factor was set on medium low.

The speeds reached on hill country corners as I played follow the leader, reached from XX barely into ***, and the front felt well planted given the dump truck OE springs I have. Most of the ***+ was just a few clicks higher in the middle digit, and once again I was playing follow the leader. Those events were more in the straighter roads where you would not expect to realize your aero package unless you get to ***++.

If I was to go for maximum aero capacity of the front splitter, I would have gone for several inches more frontal projection, not had the ACR inset, and wider to fully cover the wheel wells. I would have also done support cables as I would not trust the fascia at that level of demand. The size of mine is more street/poser, but still functional as I will stand behind my crude test I did.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:headbang: TOP JOB, DAVE :headbang: You go to the top of the class, give yourself 10 Stars for that work, and thanks for a great instructive and enteraining thred :headbang:

So whats next :eater:

Have realy enjoyed reading all of this :2tu:

Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh. I have to confess. I've found a new way to collect bugs on the front of my car. Not that we didn't do things like clean the brake dust off of our blingy wheels after every outing already, but the splitter needs a good wipe too. At least the dry warm winter driving season here is bug-free. Which of course winter is only like 2 weeks long and is big time O-V-E-R since like mid Feb.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh. I have to confess. I've found a new way to collect bugs on the front of my car. Not that we didn't do things like clean the brake dust off of our blingy wheels after every outing already, but the splitter needs a good wipe too. At least the dry warm winter driving season here is bug-free. Which of course winter is only like 2 weeks long and is big time O-V-E-R since like mid Feb.

Keep it up, Dave. All that hot air is bound to drive summer north to New York soon.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINAL SUMMARY

Materials, Cost, Time etc.

This is of course how I built them. Your results could vary.

Materials:

Front Splitter - 1/2" thick x 24" x 72" structural fiberglass sheet, 0.080" thick x 24" x 48" 5052 aluminum, misc 0.030 aluminum

Side Splitters - 3/16" thick x 12" x 60" 5052 aluminum sheet

Rear Diffuser - 3/16" thick x 24" x 36" 5052 aluminum sheet, 0.080" thick 5052 aluminum sheet shared with front splitter

Material Cost:

3/16" thick aluminum for rear diffuser and side splitters $225

0.080" thick aluminum for rear diffuser and front splitter $32

1/2" thick fiberglass for front splitter (4 x 8 sheet) $303

Powder Coating Cost:

RAL9005 Black

Side Splitters - $40

Rear Diffuser - $50

Front Splitter - $35

Weights:

Side Splitters - 7-1/2 pounds each

Rear Diffuser - 17 pounds

Front Splitter - 20 pounds with brackets etc.

Fabrication Time Estimates:

Side Splitters - 20 hours

Rear Diffuser - 20 hours

Front Splitter - 50+ hours. Probably 100 hours.

Last edited:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Error... error.

In another post you said

"So in my opinion - the point of this - the Viper red, RAL3001, and caliper red are all very close. Close enough to use whatcha got without having to invent anything."

Above you said RAL 3001 is black. I think it's signal red.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I didn't think you would want red splitters populating the world.

Good work, Dave. Let's not spoil the celebration with a little typo.