Diffuser and splitter build pics

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While Sweet Ride readies my first pay check and prepares to pay the invoice for my new $150K workshop...

The next pic shows the filler panels that merge with the wheel wells, and a tab with hole that utilizes the lower fender lip screw to mount through.

You must be registered for see images

Like this. Of course the other piece covers that tab.

With all of the pieces made I carefully taped it all back on the car so I could get a line drawn on the splitter precisely where the filler panel meets the splitter.

That line will be used to spot a series of small 90 deg brackets to hold the filler panels along the span of the splitter.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, Are you going to put some kind of protection between the top edge of the metal work where it meets the paintwork?

I would be slightly worried that any slight flex would sctrach paint! Ie: if you hit a bump in the road etc?

Also do you intend for this part to be colour matched to the car, with Red / white stripes?

This realy is a great thred you have here. Fantastic work, Im looking forward to seeing more pics :headbang: :2tu:

Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, Are you going to put some kind of protection between the top edge of the metal work where it meets the paintwork?

I would be slightly worried that any slight flex would sctrach paint! Ie: if you hit a bump in the road etc?

Also do you intend for this part to be colour matched to the car, with Red / white stripes?

This realy is a great thred you have here. Fantastic work, Im looking forward to seeing more pics :headbang: :2tu:

Mark
:uk:

I am contemplating rubber edging from McMaster Carr but have not made up my mind yet. It comes in all flavors, including small and thin for 0.032 sheet metal.

Once the parts are powder coated the abrasion will be minimal with movement though, as the powder creates a smooth balled edge as the powder migrates toward the edges when in the oven.

I plan on doing a little study on that before I coat everything though; how far it moves under aero load. I can push down on the splitter at the sides and move it about a 1/4" downward before it gets really difficult. Pretty much the rubber front end flexing. And also pretty much the only way it's coming off is if it takes the fascia with it :D

Anyway, I have plenty of options if after my study I conclude things move too much under the aero load.

Color?!? Satin black. Every bit of it. Decal on the sides by the wheel well? I'm the sticker King baby! :headbang:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys. In your sidewalk the lines are called engineered stress cracks. It will break over time, and it will break there.

Let's apply that to Dave's splitter now. The engineered stress crack that is being suggested.

Discuss? :dunno:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to look back, but isn't your splitter about three inches thick? And you will be avoiding anti-poser 5/10 driveways, so I'd say you're safe.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom... 1/2" thick thank you :rolleyes:

B'Fed... Correct. You normally don't want to create a stress failure point. And it's a hand's down vote that Dave is normal right?

:dunno:

Yes?

Anyway, my sheet metal edge is straight enough that it will look good up against the splitter without being inset to it. And regardless, would still need the same bracketry to fix it in place.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a suggestion, I would add a piece of #3M clear paint shield onto the car facia and let the splitter rub against that. We use a similar product on the jets in my avatar to prevent chaffing against parts and it works great.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all of the time I have invested in making the brackets to hold the filler panels, if I lived in China, I could have bought my own tool & die/stamping company to make these parts!

More scrap 0.080 5052 aluminum. 10-24 flat head screws & KEP nuts. Jigsaw blades, drill bits, adult beverages...

There will still be some more tweaking of these parts; 1 of 1 prototyping is some trial and error. Aside from that, they will be match drilled to the panels and then rivet nuts installed for machine screws.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
holy f^%k Dave, that thing looks like swiss cheese!

I don't think you need a stress crack, the holes will allow it to crumble into pieces upon impact

this is getting to be many more parts and hardware than I had imagined

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To crumble upon impact first requires an impact... ;) And no, even if I'd of milled the slot in, that 1/2" thick structural FRP panel would still be excessively strong. The Swiss holes? They take nothing away that is needed strength wise.

I certainly don't mind taking the time to make these parts, but for anyone that was thinking of less time or a more utilitarian design, then either skip the filler panels or rivet them to the fascia and be done with it in a hurry.

I'm going for sturdy, purdy, and not in a hurry. :omg:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a suggestion, I would add a piece of #3M clear paint shield onto the car facia and let the splitter rub against that. We use a similar product on the jets in my avatar to prevent chaffing against parts and it works great.

sound like a good idea :2tu:

fine work as usual dave :headbang:

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh My! Where have I been? (not here enough!!) I've been missing out on all the good stuff. Dave66669 you have UK-Chick approval on your GTS splitter work of art, YES... me is liking that lots. That is HOT!

Is "PS UP" markings a code for passenger side this way up, or simple...part is cut so lets get p*ssed up? :D

I made some splitters myself, but I would truley like one as good as yours is turning out. I made a diffuser some years ago, sheet ali, I had to put a small fold in the very end of the diffuser blades as I found they would vibrate at big speeds, this solved the issue, put strength into the blade like that! As you've shown me yours, I'll find some pics to show you mine!

You must be registered for see images attach

I smoke tested mine, mother wouldn't let me have knitting wool!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, while Nadine gets those wheelwells detailed, Dave has got the splitter finished up and ready for road testing.

Had to shorten most of the cover panel mounts to ensure the rivet nuts and screws didn't hit the fascia. All done, all good.

I originally had the edge even with the wheel, but ordered wider wheels and made the splitter to fit the OE wheels. Full functionality would come with the wheel not being exposed. I refuse to start over for that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper